Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IanforHeisman

Black widow bite

There was a black widow hiding in my shorts that I didn’t see and put them on, then sat down on. Felt like a bee sting about an inch from my butthole, which I assure you wakes you up better than a cup of coffee. Ripped my shorts off to see a smushed black widow.

I won’t show you the actual bite area as no one wants to see my butthole, but you could see two little puncture marks. There’s about 1/2 inch area that’s turned black but doc said it should heal fine. Rashes are mildly painful but extremely itchy. One butt cheek is entirely red and raised about an inch, feels like a leather pad. This is day 3.

BDDA78D7-4DED-4C4A-A12E-6C331DB72482.jpeg

Yeah I have some antibiotics and Benadryl cream.. it’s really not that bad, looks worse than it is really as far as pain goes. The weirdest thing is that the next day my tailbone was so sore it felt like I’d fallen down on concrete. But the actual bite site didn’t really hurt at all.

And yeah after I had went to the doctor I was reading online and it said it didn’t require medical attention unless symptoms were severe. Which mine are not.

I live in black widow country, and my understanding is that when people have reactions they're body-wide like really bad cramps or flu-like aches. interesting with the rashes and hives. If you're not allergic, you should be OK. But be careful from now on, as the bites get worse generally if you get them again.

BTW, how the hell did you get a widow in your shorts? You leave them on a wood pile or something?

You got a pic of the spider? How big was it?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

I’ve had a fever ever since, but mild and doesn’t bother me. Rashes on one side of my body only. No pain really other than the bite, just annoying itches.

I live on the river so we get creatures I didn’t even know lived here. My shorts are in a basket on the floor of my closet, probably just the easiest place for it to find shelter. Unless it was already on my ass before I put my shorts on, I guess I’m not 100 percent sure it was in my shorts. Either way I sat on the poor lady. Sorry no pics, it was smooshed pretty good. But the hourglass was still recognizable.

On 8/14/2022 at 11:53 PM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

What I’ve learned from this is that you shave your legs but not your ass

Dude the only place I seem to be able to grow hair is my ass. I’m 41 and can’t grow a full beard. No hair on chest. My ass takes it all.

On 8/14/2022 at 10:50 PM, IanforHeisman said:

I’ve had a fever ever since, but mild and doesn’t bother me. Rashes on one side of my body only. No pain really other than the bite, just annoying itches.

I live on the river so we get creatures I didn’t even know lived here. My shorts are in a basket on the floor of my closet, probably just the easiest place for it to find shelter. Unless it was already on my ass before I put my shorts on, I guess I’m not 100 percent sure it was in my shorts. Either way I sat on the poor lady. Sorry no pics, it was smooshed pretty good. But the hourglass was still recognizable.

That's wild. Like I mentioned earlier, the Valley is widow country. I could walk out to my backyard and find 4 or 5 widows right now, and I'm fastidious about keeping them out. I've heard of them getting into shoes, or like getting into an article of clothing if you left it out in a garage or something, but I've never heard of one just crawling into a laundry basket in a house. I'm sure it happens, but that is like lightning strike stuff. That hard, high strength web is completely unmistakable to me. So it must not have been in there long enough to spin a wed. 

My mom got bit twice over the years from gardening without gloves. I've had some big ones crawl onto me on multipole occasions, but I've never been bit. I effing hate those things.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 8/14/2022 at 11:59 PM, smltwnrckr said:

That's wild. Like I mentioned earlier, the Valley is widow country. I could walk out to my backyard and find 4 or 5 widows right now, and I'm fastidious about keeping them out. I've heard of them getting into shoes, or like getting into an article of clothing if you left it out in a garage or something, but I've never heard of one just crawling into a laundry basket in a house. I'm sure it happens, but that is like lightning strike stuff. That hard, high strength web is completely unmistakable to me. So it must not have been in there long enough to spin a wed. 

My mom got bit twice over the years from gardening without gloves. I've had some big ones crawl onto me on multipole occasions, but I've never been bit. I effing hate those things.

I’ve only seen one before in my 20+ years in Boise and that was in my garage.. They’re really beautiful creatures actually, never seen that perfect of a black color on anything else. I always assumed they were really dangerous and can kill your so I freaked out a little, but now I know their bite is relatively mild for a venomous spider.

On 8/14/2022 at 11:05 PM, IanforHeisman said:

I’ve only seen one before in my 20+ years in Boise and that was in my garage.. They’re really beautiful creatures actually, never seen that perfect of a black color on anything else. I always assumed they were really dangerous and can kill your so I freaked out a little, but now I know their bite is relatively mild for a venomous spider.

Yea, they are actually quite striking things. And if you're a healthy adult without an allergy, a single bit won't do a ton of harm apart from some uncomfortable effects. I generally try to let them be if they're in places that our out of the way because of it. But because I have a little one, and where we are if you're not careful they'll straight up take over, They can really hurt young children. I work hard to keep them out of around the house and out of the yard. 

But word to the wise... be more carful now. My understanding is that the impacts can get worse with another bite or two.

Ive seen very few black widows in Boise. They were pretty common in Cali. Usually in wood or junk piles that have been sitting around a long time. Like you I’d probably have freaked out as I’ve always thought they were highly poisonous. Hopefully you only have short term effects that go away in a few days. 

On 8/14/2022 at 11:05 PM, IanforHeisman said:

That's crazy to me. They are so ubiquitous that when I was but a wee shit I would catch 4-5 on Friday nights at my grandparents' house and put them in a single jar and go all Thunderdome on each other.

An invasive species - Australian brown widows - have been supplanting the black widows over the past few years. Their bite is supposed to be "like a bad bee sting."

I was camping up PCH in the '90s and was bit by something at a campground. Fever, vomiting, diarrhea all night long and my ankle was swollen like a grapefruit. Sucked. Don't recommend it to anyone.

More recently, I was stung by a scorpion a few years ago while clearing some branches from our drive. My hand looked like the Hamburger Helper guy. But no signs of the toxin having anything other than a localized response. 

And one more... a very close friend kept among his half-dozen or so snakes a rattlesnake. This was when he was 11. His parents had no clue. So when he was bit by the rattlesnake on a Friday, he spent the weekend riding it out at a friend's house.

Anyway, f*ck all that... glad you didn't develop more severe symptoms. 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

One day at Lucky Peak, the reservoir here in Boise, I saw literally 30 rattlesnakes all coming from the hills towards the water. Mostly really young ones but a few adults. Been up there 100+ times since then and 100+ times before and never seen a single one. Never seen a brown recluse here either, although someone told me they don’t actually live here. I don’t think Idaho really has more than 2-3 venomous creatures, as far as I know at least.

On 8/14/2022 at 10:55 PM, IanforHeisman said:

Dude the only place I seem to be able to grow hair is my ass. I’m 41 and can’t grow a full beard. No hair on chest. My ass takes it all.

Fellow beardless adult male here. Solidarity brother ✊