Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

Teach me Motown, or whatever this sound is.

Pretty much the entire Dead Presidents Soundtrack.

Including none of my all time favorites:

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 8/14/2022 at 6:30 PM, SDSUfan said:

Marvin.  Taken from us too soon. Pure God given talent

Billy Paul

Teddy P when he was front man for Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes

The first 35 seconds of Me and Mrs Jones are absolutely sublime.

Americans Mayor

On 8/19/2022 at 6:20 PM, Wyobraska said:

@thelawlorfaithfulHave you found some similar music that you like?  

How is your journey going?

Oh there’s lots of great stuff in here. I’ve just traveling. I’d never heard that Jimmy Ruffin song and it was in the first episode in the for all mankind show and I couldn’t get it out of my head. My wife was stunned I’d never heard it Harmonizing, background singers, change of keys, tinkling guitar…I love that stuff. I just didn’t know a lot of it.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Nina simone did my favorite all time version of this one. Not motown, but transcendent.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

To say Motown, does one mean strictly the label ?

They also produced Bands like Rare Earth, which recorded some Motown material, but was definitely not the Motown Sound.

Americans Mayor

On 8/21/2022 at 9:39 AM, Spaztecs said:

They also produced Bands like Rare Earth, which recorded some Motown material, but was definitely not the Motown Sound.

to me it means the sound

On 8/21/2022 at 10:39 AM, Spaztecs said:

On 8/21/2022 at 12:26 PM, renoskier said:

to me it means the sound

Agree with @renoskier

On 8/20/2022 at 4:30 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

Bill Withers is one of the most underrated artists ever...that guy could write a song.