robe

It is becoming more likely for a Biden Trump rematch

On 8/14/2022 at 3:57 PM, Nevada Convert said:

I’m a pragmatic fellow. I’m glad Trump won in 2016 because, even though he was a shitty person and said a lot of stupid things, just having a GOP place holder in office, it prevented the Supreme Court from going 6-3 or whatever hardcore left which would’ve done long term damage to this country which is an entire thread topic itself. Yes, it was worth the price we’re paying right now, and that just goes to show how seriously damaging a dominating far left court would be. 

There are also other big positives from his presidency that weigh against some really bad. In my estimation it was the most pivotal election since probably 1980. Had nothing serious been on the line and a 1992 Clinton been the Dem candidate, sure I would’ve voted for Clinton.

I vote on logic and pragmatism, and I’m not an ideologue. You seem to be more an ideologue that brings more emotion than logic to the table than I do.

You are right.  I’m an ideologue about the constitution and our democratic norms.  My forefathers fought and died for it.   My great great grandfather was orphaned in the Revolutionary War.  My grandmother on the other side kept of picture on her dresser of her Grandfather in Civil War Union Soldier gear.  He was a surgeon.    

I don’t apologize for it a second to people like you that put your policy goals above the constitution.   

• Like 1
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1

On 8/14/2022 at 4:57 PM, Nevada Convert said:

I’m a pragmatic fellow. I’m glad Trump won in 2016 because…

Pragmatic? There’s a Mandy Patinkin quote response there somewhere.  Lol. 

Voting for Trump pragmatically is the very definition of an oxymoron.

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2022 at 10:30 PM, grandjean87 said:

Pragmatic? There’s a Mandy Patinkin quote response there somewhere.  Lol. 

Voting for Trump pragmatically is the very definition of an oxymoron.

If I were an ideologue and dogmatic, I would’ve been a never Trumper in 2016 because Trump’s values and integrity didn’t meet my requirements. I could never ever vote for someone like that, and the consequences for not doing so be damned. 

However, I’m more practical and think more pragmatically. I realize that sometimes it’s necessary to navigate politics by going with someone that doesn’t necessarily meet my values in the short term, but is necessary to support in the best interest of my long term values being represented in government. Not like Hillary is a saint. 

If I had been a never-Trumper in 2016, All the 100’s of judges Trump appointed would’ve been left to far left, and the Supreme Court would’ve been far left for at least another 16 to 20 years. With the left passing their voting rights act scam and had their way with re-districting, the GOP may have never won another Presidential election for decades or longer. Now how is that result in tune with my values????  

It was the easiest no brainer in history and I’d do it again a million times over. 

On 8/14/2022 at 9:06 PM, sactowndog said:

You are right.  I’m an ideologue about the constitution and our democratic norms.  My forefathers fought and died for it.   My great great grandfather was orphaned in the Revolutionary War.  My grandmother on the other side kept of picture on her dresser of her Grandfather in Civil War Union Soldier gear.  He was a surgeon.    

I don’t apologize for it a second to people like you that put your policy goals above the constitution.   

WTF does that mean……above the constitution? Everyone on the political spectrum says the exact same thing, and it means nothing unless you explain your interpretation. There’s no such thing as an absolute correct interpretation of the constitution. Everyone thinks theirs is right, but it’s just right for them and no one else. We elect people that choose people that will hopefully interpret it how we prefer it to be. 

On 8/14/2022 at 11:12 PM, IanforHeisman said:

No one who voted for Trump gets to say they voted on logic.

Lol. Voting for Hillary was a logical vote? I still think Trumps policies, although not 100%, aligned much better with my thinking. His ego and divisiveness were another thing altogether and are the primary reasons Biden is currently president. 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2022 at 1:12 AM, Nevada Convert said:

If I were an ideologue and dogmatic, I would’ve been a never Trumper in 2016 because Trump’s values and integrity didn’t meet my requirements. I could never ever vote for someone like that, and the consequences for not doing so be damned. 

However, I’m more practical and think more pragmatically. I realize that sometimes it’s necessary to navigate politics by going with someone that doesn’t necessarily meet my values in the short term, but is necessary to support in the best interest of my long term values being represented in government. Not like Hillary is a saint. 

If I had been a never-Trumper in 2016, All the 100’s of judges Trump appointed would’ve been left to far left, and the Supreme Court would’ve been far left for at least another 16 to 20 years. With the left passing their voting rights act scam and had their way with re-districting, the GOP may have never won another Presidential election for decades or longer. Now how is that result in tune with my values????  

It was the easiest no brainer in history and I’d do it again a million times over. 

Say you thought The Apprentice was real without saying it. 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2022 at 8:24 AM, soupslam1 said:

Lol. Voting for Hillary was a logical vote? I still think Trumps policies, although not 100%, aligned much better with my thinking. His ego and divisiveness were another thing altogether and are the primary reasons Biden is currently president. 

It was more than ego and divisiveness. It was a lack of intelligence and any real curiosity of complex matters that he thought were of no interest to his desires.  See his first Secretary of State or first and second NSAs. The first NSA who wrote a scholarly account of foreign matters (very critical) without personal attacks. You can’t have a cohesive, strategic foreign policy in the national interest if the driving principles are what’s in it for me and how can I dismantle policies put in place by that guy I hate?

What domestic policies besides the Courts?

With the left passing their voting rights act scam and had their way with re-districting, the GOP may have never won another Presidential election for decades or longer.

Not that I expect you to explain this, but it appears you have confused certain aspects of our federalism. 

• Like 2

Long interesting thread by former 43 speechwriter and Never-Trumper and political analyst.

He agrees with part of the OP.  DeSantis isn't challenging Trump yet because the base has rallied back to Trump.  And, if Trump is not charged/beats charges, DeSantis and others will not be able to beat him in the primary.  DeSantis has to strategize as the possible VP to Trump.  Only Liz (not Lynne) can really challenge DJT.  

Sorry, @bornontheblue.  You can't be rational about Trump or the base.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 12:23 AM, Nevada Convert said:

WTF does that mean……above the constitution? Everyone on the political spectrum says the exact same thing, and it means nothing unless you explain your interpretation. There’s no such thing as an absolute correct interpretation of the constitution. Everyone thinks theirs is right, but it’s just right for them and no one else. We elect people that choice people that will hopefully interpret it how we prefer it to be. 

It means not trying to overturn elections.  To repeat the steal bullshit over and over.  To respect the separation of powers built into the constitution…

779E86ED-4F18-45BD-8F39-1A1C394DA953.png.33bbad2d7fb8eda70078f50621f5d3fa.png

What better example of America being on its last legs than our political leaders all having 1 foot in the grave?  I realized this when Pelosi went to Taiwan that every one of the political leaders is old AF and that’s the image we project to the world.  Old people who should be on a beach in retirement are instead making decisions that won’t have any effect on them cause they’ll be dead. 

• Like 4

On 8/15/2022 at 9:54 AM, grandjean87 said:

Long interesting thread by former 43 speechwriter and Never-Trumper and political analyst.

He agrees with part of the OP.  DeSantis isn't challenging Trump yet because the base has rallied back to Trump.  And, if Trump is not charged/beats charges, DeSantis and others will not be able to beat him in the primary.  DeSantis has to strategize as the possible VP to Trump.  Only Liz (not Lynne) can really challenge DJT.  

Sorry, @bornontheblue.  You can't be rational about Trump or the base.

Why are you guys clinging so hard for Trump to remain relevant. It is almost like you want him to be relevant for some weird reason. The Democrat party should be hoping and praying Trump is the nominee because he will be the easiest candidate to run against. Its a layup for the Democrats if Trump is the nominee in 2024. More like a slam dunk really. 

Listen , I am sure Trump had some things he wasn't supposed to have, and he committed a crime in possessing them.  This is not the first time a high ranking official in the executive branch , or the president himself has had to be told to return items to the government. Nixon , both Clintons have done this. It was a routine, mundane procedure to get the documents back then, and should be now.   The Democrats and Liz Cheney and gang  are not altruistically in search of  protecting national security information as you naively believe they are. They are using the power of the federal government  for political gamesmanship to preserve their own power. Its all a charade, and you naively fall for it. 

The GOP is not nearly as fixated on Trump as you guys are. There are many regular decent people who voted for trump 2x. The left has a fantasy that all 78 million people who voted for Trump are Qanon conspiracy theorist , Alex Jones listening cooks. Most people who voted for trump are not that way.  When these people are presented with much better options for a GOP nominee they will easily switch to him/her and ditch Trump with his toxic brand and his caustic political approach, that even most of the GOP hates.  You guys will miss Trump when he is gone though , probably around March of 2024. The GOP is ready to ditch Trump and they will. The process needs to play out for who though. 

I am sure you will want to go on back and forth debating all da because you are retired and have time, but I have a busy few weeks getting ready for tax deadlines coming up. 

Have fun with the regular group of guys who think Trump is on the cusp of turning us all into serfs. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 10:44 AM, bornontheblue said:

Why are you guys clinging so hard for Trump to remain relevant. It is almost like you want him to be relevant for some weird reason. The Democrat party should be hoping and praying Trump is the nominee because he will be the easiest candidate to run against. Its a layup for the Democrats if Trump is the nominee in 2024. More like a slam dunk really. 

Listen , I am sure Trump had some things he wasn't supposed to have, and he committed a crime in possessing them.  This is not the first time a high ranking official in the executive branch , or the president himself has had to be told to return items to the government. Nixon , both Clintons have done this. It was a routine, mundane procedure to get the documents back then, and should be now.   The Democrats and Liz Cheney and gang  are not altruistically in search of  protecting national security information as you naively believe they are. They are using the power of the federal government  for political gamesmanship to preserve their own power. Its all a charade, and you naively fall for it. 

The GOP is not nearly as fixated on Trump as you guys are. There are many regular decent people who voted for trump 2x. The left has a fantasy that all 78 million people who voted for Trump are Qanon conspiracy theorist , Alex Jones listening cooks. Most people who voted for trump are not that way.  When these people are presented with much better options for a GOP nominee they will easily switch to him/her and ditch Trump with his toxic brand and his caustic political approach, that even most of the GOP hates.  You guys will miss Trump when he is gone though , probably around March of 2024. The GOP is ready to ditch Trump and they will. The process needs to play out for who though. 

I am sure you will want to go on back and forth debating all da because you are retired and have time, but I have a busy few weeks getting ready for tax deadlines coming up. 

Have fun with the regular group of guys who think Trump is on the cusp of turning us all into serfs. 

You sound like yer really busy. 

On 8/14/2022 at 8:35 AM, IanforHeisman said:

Trump is done. He’s still powerful but not enough to win the presidency. 

He may be done as a General Election Candidate, but he still tells the GQP where to clean up his shit and they do it willingly. 

On 8/14/2022 at 4:57 PM, Nevada Convert said:

I’m a pragmatic fellow. I’m glad Trump won in 2016 because, even though he was a shitty person and said a lot of stupid things, just having a GOP place holder in office, it prevented the Supreme Court from going 6-3 or whatever hardcore left which would’ve done long term damage to this country which is an entire thread topic itself. Yes, it was worth the price we’re paying right now, and that just goes to show how seriously damaging a dominating far left court would be. 

There are also other big positives from his presidency that weigh against some really bad. In my estimation it was the most pivotal election since probably 1980. Had nothing serious been on the line and a 1992 Clinton been the Dem candidate, sure I would’ve voted for Clinton.

I vote on logic and pragmatism, and I’m not an ideologue. You seem to be more an ideologue that brings more emotion than logic to the table than I do.

Long term damage by a left leaning SCOTUS ?

So acknowledging individual rights, making it safe and legal for women to have abortions and other Rights rulings are bad for Amerika ?

Look at the damage the Council of 6 has already done and has signaled will continue to do to individual rights and Liberties simply because Religious bigots feel they are ickey.

The GQP has redistricted States so much  that even if 60% vote D, R's still hold the power. Without that, most of the Nation would have already swung left.

The Trumpists are doing their damndest to drag this Nation back to 1950.

Which you obviously approve of.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:44 AM, bornontheblue said:

The GOP should be fixated on him, because he and many Trumpists are not ideal candidates in a GE.

Np, I do not believe Trump is trying to turn us into serfs, however, the evidence to date indicates he wants to use the Power of the Presidency to shield himself from the Law and the tax man. And he views his most Americans as marks and rubes for his various cons, grifts, and schemes.