Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Large part of California could become a vast inland sea in the next 40 years.

I've seen a lot of pictures and reports of the 60s floods here in the Central Valley. Given the rate of construction since then, the drought conditions, and the destruction of much of the open areas that could absorb it, we could have a lot of issues for the lower-lying areas

On 8/13/2022 at 2:44 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

It's been something like 25 years since we've had that kind of rain. So long that I'm becoming concerned that a lot of areas have become so bone dry that when we do have another 30+ inches in a single year, much of it won't sink in and we're going to have major mud slides in the hills and mountains.

Nah, it hasn’t been that long.  I was living in Camarillo the year SOCal had more rain than Seattle.  That was some time in the 00’s

btw, props on representing the San Fernando Valley with the 818 handle.    I like the Valley, really wish secession had passed, would have been good for the Valley..

On 8/13/2022 at 9:53 PM, CPslograd said:

Nah, it hasn’t been that long.  I was living in Camarillo the year SOCal had more rain than Seattle.  That was some time in the 00’s

btw, props on representing the San Fernando Valley with the 818 handle.    I like the Valley, really wish secession had passed, would have been good for the Valley..

+1.

Today's L.A. Times contained an article about the Great Flood of 1862 during which it rained for more than 30 consecutive days. It was so destructive it redirected the mouth of the L.A. River from San Pedro down to Long Beach. Statistically speaking, in the average year there is a 1% chance of another such flood. However, in combination with the drought we've had, the crazy amount of moisture in the air has raised the chances of such a flood to 2% per year. Add to that how overbuilt the landscape now is and the ballpark estimate is that such a rainfall event would do over $1 trillion dollars of damage. There was no estimate on number of deaths but considering that L.A. county now has an estimated 40K homeless, it would be a huge catastrophe and as with an earthquake like The Big One, it is only a matter of time until it occurs.

I love SLO. Had business in Atascadero on Thursday and stopped for gas in SLO and was reminded of that. I also stopped at Pea Soup Andersen's for dinner on the way back. Man was that depressing. That iconic place looks awful. Probably almost went belly up during the height of COVID.