Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crixus

Jazz Fest

On 8/12/2022 at 2:16 PM, smltwnrckr said:

He changed the way people think about music. 

I would say this is true for me too. My tastes were pretty generic mid-2000s suburban white guy rock (I thought Shinedown was the greatest band I’d ever heard and my highlight concert experience to that point was Creed at a large, stale outdoor venue) prior to hearing Monk. I was never a musician so I don’t know exactly what I mean when I say this, but I started looking for different things in music. A lot of what I liked before sounded boring and without substance after Monk bent my mind into a pretzel. Like I said I never really went back to jazz but I likely never would have waded into hip-hop (and certainly not the kind I listen to now) if it weren’t for being exposed to his music. 

On 8/12/2022 at 6:51 PM, smltwnrckr said:

The traditional intro to the genre is Miles Davis' album Kind of Blue. Both very listenable but also groundbreaking for the genre. They say if you don't like it, you won't like jazz.

I saw Miles Davis at the Concord Pavilion back in the late 80's. It was an outstanding performance! B)

On 8/12/2022 at 7:28 PM, crixus said:

I saw Miles Davis at the Concord Pavilion back in the late 80's. It was an outstanding performance! B)

That's cool. I've read he was notoriously contemptuous of his audiences. But maybe less so as he got older. 

I've been lucky to see a few greats: sonny Rollins, herbie Hancock and Wayne shorter and Mccoy tyner

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 8/12/2022 at 7:35 PM, smltwnrckr said:

That's cool. I've read he was notoriously contemptuous of his audiences. But maybe less so as he got older. 

I've been lucky to see a few greats: sonny Rollins, herbie Hancock and Wayne shorter and Mccoy tyner

He played with his back to the audience. Some people took it personal, I didn't. And he hardly spoke. I think it was due to shyness.

On 8/12/2022 at 7:24 PM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I would say this is true for me too. My tastes were pretty generic mid-2000s suburban white guy rock (I thought Shinedown was the greatest band I’d ever heard and my highlight concert experience to that point was Creed at a large, stale outdoor venue) prior to hearing Monk. I was never a musician so I don’t know exactly what I mean when I say this, but I started looking for different things in music. A lot of what I liked before sounded boring and without substance after Monk bent my mind into a pretzel. Like I said I never really went back to jazz but I likely never would have waded into hip-hop (and certainly not the kind I listen to now) if it weren’t for being exposed to his music. 

He's such a challenging liaten, but so rewarding. I studied music and was in classical ensembles in college. Listen to a lot of jazz. He is uniquely interesting, frustrating and pays off. Reminds me of Stravinsky in that way you have to listen and think at the same time.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Lol. You know you've got problems if people likkng Bill Evans, Art Blakey, Charlie Christian and Thelonious Monk makes you throw a little fit at 1 in the morning.

The San Jose Jazz Summer Fest ends tonight and although I wasn't able to attend, it was fun sharing our passion for Jazz (in all it's forms) here. Thank you to those who shared. 👊

An old friend of mine from SJSU just sent me this picture of Stanley Clarke and his band who are playing right now at the Fest. B)

00-0aWysEZUU8EI2QgLh_Ii8El9O6hE7hpGDXhbVCqvgC8jkSpevllGmh1dObExDtRUldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1660537327