Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crixus

Jazz Fest

The San Jose Jazz Summer Fest is here and Stanley Clarke is one of the artists performing. *Please share your favorite jazz tunes, all forms of jazz are welcome. From traditional to fusion and everything else! https://summerfest.sanjosejazz.org/lineup

Back in June I saw Acoustic Alchemy perform at the Yosemite Mountain Pine Railroad Jazz Train and they were awesome. I was hoping to go to Bluesapalooza up in Mammoth, but I wasn't able to make it this year.

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

My favorite piece of recorded music, ever.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

This whole album is pretty damned good, and not very well known. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

One of the underrated masters. IMO, the greatest guitar player to ever live in any genre. 

In Miles Davis' autobiography, he tells a story that Thelonious Monk who wrote 'Round Midnight' always complained that no one could ever quite play the tune correctly. Makes sense... Monk's songs are notoriously difficult and harmonically complex, despite what often seems as simple or incoherent. Supposedly after Davis recorded this, Monk told him that it was the first time anyone else got it right. 

Speaking of Monk...

Smokin'

On 8/12/2022 at 10:15 AM, smltwnrckr said:

Speaking of Monk...

I’m not a big jazz fan, but the first time someone showed me thelonius monk it blew my mind. 

Also the first time I heard a rapper rhyme his name with “felonious punk” I got annoyed. 

On 8/12/2022 at 2:07 PM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I’m not a big jazz fan, but the first time someone showed me thelonius monk it blew my mind. 

Also the first time I heard a rapper rhyme his name with “felonious punk” I got annoyed. 

He's one of the great geniuses of the 20th Century, and may have been the singular genius of jazz music.  He changed the way people think about music. 

On 8/12/2022 at 6:45 PM, azgreg said:

I have tried a number of times over the years to get into jazz but I just can't. I can listen to it OK but it just isn't there. Sucks having a tin ear.

The traditional intro to the genre is Miles Davis' album Kind of Blue. Both very listenable but also groundbreaking for the genre. They say if you don't like it, you won't like jazz.