Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

Pre-season Rank' EM

On 8/11/2022 at 9:14 AM, madmartigan said:

Let me get this straight, I take a summer long hiatus from the board and the top trending topic on here is the hapless UNLV FOOTBALL program? The disappointment I feel is immense. Let's get some more football talk going. 

Rank Em', By Division

$EC Mountain

Boise State: I'm told the damage wrought by Harsin is being unwound by St. Avalos. They will have a nasty defense to go along with their field and stadium. More consistent offense will be helpful. What's up with that OOC @halfmanhalfbronco? TN-Martin? UTEP? The supposed premier program in the MW can do better. Gets the sheep-lovers and the gang-rapers at home. 

AFA: Returns a bunch of starters and always a pain in the ass to play. Roadies at USU and SDSU will be challenging. Get Boise at home. Maybe @SpaceForcedcan add some context here. What's the defense and passing game going to look like? 

USU: The returning champs are flying under the radar- just how they like it. Lost a lot of production at WR, but return one of the best QBs in the conference and a top 25 offense. Big question marks on defense, but most of their position coaches and coordinators from the 2021 title team.  Roadies at Boise and back to back weeks on the front range will make or break the season. Challenging away OOC @ BYU and @ Alabama will really test this teams injury resilience and nut punching resistance. 

Nevada-Eastern: Really really interesting squad. I expect them to be vastly improved and I could see them challenging for the title if things roll right. Norvell is a decent HC and Nevada-Eastern always has good skill at TE, WR and RB. 4 Freshmen QBs does not instill tons of confidence in the offense. I maybe missing one or two, but I count 12 Nevada transfers on the roster. Very nice OOC with games against @ Michigan and Wazzu. Have to go on the road to AFA and Boise, which will likely prevent a top finish in the league. This is likely a bowl team and has the highest variability of any team I see in the league.

Wyoming: Is Bohl still in charge here? Lost a lot via transfer portal including all world WR Neyor to Texas. Starting QB is former backup at USU in Andrew Peasley. Great physical tools, but will need to be coached up in order to have success. I don't see enough here to put them higher. Bohl seems to be a middling coach set in his ways with a boring offense. Manageable OOC with Tulsa, Illinois, Northern CO and the nut-punchers in Provostan. 

New Mexico: New Mexico is still New Mexico. I'll confess I know less about their roster than any other squad, so they could be better than I think. Should be able to pick up wins against NSMU, Maine and UTEP OOC. @ LSU for the money game. 

West

Fresno: I guess you can go home again. Tedford returning after a year off is a very intriguing story line. History hasn't been kind to coaches returning to a program (I know from painful painful experience), but Tedford has the fanbase excited. I love the Haener + Cropper combo and Fresno recruits their backyard well. Two PAC-12 opponents OOC: Oregon State at Home and @ USC. You should split those, but you have a chance to win both, which would be tits. UConn and Cal-Poly should be easy Ws. SUDS at home, the fighting 18 wheelers on the road. I like Fresno's chances to host the CCG. 

SDSU: The always solid defense and running game should be good again this year. I've heard rumors you've found a passing game, but I hear that every off-season. New stadium should be a boost especially early in the year. Only thing preventing me from putting SDSU higher is I think Fresno has a more dynamic offense and a better QB. If you don't perform you can always blame COVID. Two PAC-12 games: one for the home opener vs AZ should be a W then on the road at Utah, which will be an L. Idaho State and Toledo round out the OOC- you'll be 3-1 in those games. This team looks like it's got the toughest conference schedule with roadies at Boise and Fresno and the Zoomies at home. 

SJSU: Solid coach and good offense will be the theme. One of the more pathetic OOCs vs Portland State, Western Michigan and NM State. Roadie vs Auburn. Very challenging conference schedule @ USU, SUDS and Fresno. 

Nevada: Surprising how well they recruited in this cycle with the departure of Norvell. This team could surprise. OOC: NMSU, Incarnate Word, Iowa, Texas State. Should pick up 3 wins in OOC to build some confidence. I like the direction of this program, but @mugtangmay disagree with me and throw his accounting calculator at me. 

Hawaii: Too big a mess here to have much hope. They have neat uniforms though and still get to live in Hawaii after they lose games. Vanderbilt, Western KY, Duquesne on the rock for OOC. NMSU and Michigan on the road rounds out their OOC. If I'm a Hawaii fan, I look to see signs of improvement throughout the season and something to build on. 

UNLV: Not a believer until I see something. The one positive is they played four one score games last year and ended up losing all of them. That could be a sign of good things to come.This team could surprise, but again, I have to see it to believe it. Losing your best defensive player to transfer and offensive player to graduation doesn't help when you didn't have an insanely talented squad last year. Lots of upside here, but I don't see a great season right now. 

Overall

1a.Boise

1b.Fresno

3.SDSU

4. AFA

5. USU

6. CSU

7. SJSU

8. Nevada

9. Wyoming

10. Hawaii

11. UNLV

12. UNM

Good write up.  We were supposed to have Michigan State at home this year but Dickey "sold" the game to UW with them giving us their Ut-Martin game.  The only blunder Dickey has made as AD IMO, but we needed money falling COVID.  

On 8/12/2022 at 8:40 AM, Ram1554 said:

Great name. I would’ve liked to see CSU recruit him. 

My preseason pick: I have Fresno winning the MW this year behind a standout season by Haener. 

Not mentioned much but I’m very curious how Kirby Moore does as O Coordinator for us.  Lots of people outside of Fresno expect we will struggle loosing DeRuyter and Grubb.   I think Moore could be a real find and I expect to see lots of Pete’s offensive principles in the Fresno attack.   

West: Winner of SDSU v Fresno St. game. 

1. SDSU (homer pick), 2. Fresno St, 3. SJSU, 4. UNLV, 5. Hawaii, 6. Nevada

Mountain: Winner of the Utah St v CSU game. Neither play SDSU nor Fresno St. which means they have a really good shot at going 3-0 vs. the West which will allow them to drop  up to 2 games in the Mountain and still come out on top like Utah St. did last year. SJSU's play against both might determine the winner of the Mountain Division.

1. Utah St, 2. CSU, 3. Boise St., 4. AFA, 5. Wyoming, 6. New Mexico

1. Boise - preseason champs again. Crown they ass!

2. Fresno - their coach has a piece of luggage attached to his chest keeping him alive, but luckily for them their QBs grades weren’t good enough for him to transfer to Washington with the old coach. 

3. Air Force - their linemen are allowed to be bigger now. I guess with drones we’re not worried about fighter pilots actually fitting into the planes anymore.

4. SDSU - Should be more of the same this year except even the punts will be boring this time. 

5. Utah State - CHAMPS ARE HERE. See y’all at the potato bowl. 

6. Nevada - the best revenge is living well. There’s no chance of that. 

7. Wyoming - I look forward to their fans complaining about their coach who somehow consistently gets you in bowl games despite having to recruit to f*cking wyoming. 

8. Hawaii - a religious white guy came to the island and tried to force his beliefs on the natives. I feel like that’s happened before…

9. SJSU - the Spartans had the slowest group of WRs at the D1 level I think I’ve ever seen last season. If we can fix that problem we’ll go 6-6, which is the equivalent of a national championship in San Jose. We’ll hang a banner and everything. 

10. CSU - everyone is predicting the rams to be good this year. I don’t see it. Maybe I’d just rather not see it. College football is a dirty game but if they get rewarded for stealing a conference members coach then I’ll feel like a villain just for watching. 

11. UNLV - probably good enough for arroyo to get an extension

12. New Mexico - lobos gonna lobo

On 8/13/2022 at 7:49 AM, Koji Vu said:

West: Winner of SDSU v Fresno St. game. 

1. SDSU (homer pick), 2. Fresno St, 3. SJSU, 4. UNLV, 5. Hawaii, 6. Nevada

Mountain: Winner of the Utah St v CSU game. Neither play SDSU nor Fresno St. which means they have a really good shot at going 3-0 vs. the West which will allow them to drop  up to 2 games in the Mountain and still come out on top like Utah St. did last year. SJSU's play against both might determine the winner of the Mountain Division.

1. Utah St, 2. CSU, 3. Boise St., 4. AFA, 5. Wyoming, 6. New Mexico

you know your division.  You don't know the Mtn.   USU is 5-21 against Boise with 6 straight losses.  They'll lose again this year.  Big.   

CSU is worse. As in 0-11 all time against Boise.  

Boise has Fresno, SDSU, CSU and USU at home this year.   4-0

SDSU-Take two steps forward on O then remember the idiot (OC) running the O. Also, toughest schedule.

FSU-Mr. Haney to the Crapper-they will be good!

AFA-Scouts play us in the last game, by then, they will be decimated injury wise

BoiZee-Lots Of returners, still every year I watch the perennial overrate choke away a few games they shouldn't.

USU-Very well coached, lots of quality players, could make a run.

Josers- Great coach, recruits well, no idea.

Wyo-Love the HC yet he is stuck in reverse on play calling.

Sheep-Dirty Filthy Sheep, no idea.

UNM-No talent yet they will be coached beyond probably any other team in the MGC.

UH-Talent, no depth.

Nevada- No players, they went to the Land of Sheep.

Lower Nevada-Who cares.

On 8/13/2022 at 8:04 AM, Rev McQuervo said:

SDSU-Take two steps forward on O then remember the idiot (OC) running the O. Also, toughest schedule.

FSU-Mr. Haney to the Crapper-they will be good!

AFA-Scouts play us in the last game, by then, they will be decimated injury wise

BoiZee-Lots Of returners, still every year I watch the perennial overrate choke away a few games they shouldn't.

USU-Very well coached, lots of quality players, could make a run.

Josers- Great coach, recruits well, no idea.

Wyo-Love the HC yet he is stuck in reverse on play calling.

UNM-No talent yet they will be coached beyond probably any other team in the MGC.

UH-Talent, no depth.

Nevada- No players, they went to the Land of Sheep.

Lower Nevada-Who cares.

Just a reminder, SDSU only beat this Lower Nevada team by 1 score last year and the Aztecs were ranked #25th at the time and the score was 21 - 20 going in to the 4th qtr.

On 8/11/2022 at 3:09 PM, EvilPoke said:

How long have we been hearing 'this is the year our tight ends will stand out' or something like that? I'll believe it when we see it.

Wyo doesn't need a good passing game. Other schools, like the sheep, do. Wyo just needs to be able to make the other team pay when they stuff the box, which hasn't been the case since what... Josh Allen's junior year?

As for the D, I want to see what kind of a pass rush they can generate. 

I will say this about Bohl teams - physically they are big, fast and strong enough to compete in the MWC. It's the passing game that has ALWAYS held them back.

So if the passing game has always held Wyoming back in Bohl's tenure (I agree) then they absolutely need a good passing game.

I don't have a good feeling about this year.  

On 8/12/2022 at 11:54 AM, Kirbycreekpoke said:

Bohl needs to just bite the bullet and go full 1980s Nebraska. We could recruit athletes at QB instead of ‘hidden gems’ that only hit a small % of the time. Quite frankly I’d rather win than put QBs in the NFL. (As fun as Josh is to watch). On offense we recuit run blocking linemen and RBs pretty well. WR, QB and pass blockers not so much. A ball control option offense fits Bohl’s system perfectly. If we are completing less than ten passes a game anyway, let’s just accept our fate and use the pass like the ‘trick play’ it already is. 

The added bonus would be all the Boise fans tearing their hair out at the prospect of playing 2 option teams a year. 

Since Josh, all of our QBs have been able to run and had decent to canon arms. Only, no accuracy or quality QB coaching. And last year in pass protection, despite it being up and down the year before, took a few steps back.

UNM’s defense coming into season 3 under Rocky Long, is as stout a defense as I’ve seen here in a while. More physical and more talented than last year, they’ll be able to hold their own against any team in the SEC Mountain. 
The biggest question still and again, is the offense? The defense is good, but if the offense can’t do more than a 3 and out showing, every time they get the ball, the defense will tire and start to break down. The Offense has got to put longer drives together, and they’ve got to score more.

The offensive line is an all new unit, with only one returnee from last year, but the guys stepping up now, are bigger and stronger than last years line, but they have to step it up a ton over last year! 

UNM will have a stable of very good running backs, that are fast and stout, let by Bobby Cole , they’ll be a hand full. The question again on offense, is the QB position. The two most experienced QBs (with the offensive scheme anyway), are CJ Montes and Isaiah Chavez, but both of coming off off injury last season. The Kansas transfer QB Justin Holaday looks good, but is still learning the offense. I expect the battle to start, will be between Montes, and Holaday.

The Lobos come into the season knowing they have little respect or are of little concern, for the teams in the conference, but if they offense can move the ball, the defense is good enough now, to keep them in games til the end.

Opening conference play against BSU, Wyoming, and FSU, (home games at least), is a beast of a start to SEC Mountain conference play though.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

On 8/13/2022 at 8:04 AM, Rev McQuervo said:

So hot…

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

On 8/12/2022 at 12:17 AM, smltwnrckr said:

I've only posted a couple definitive if/then predictions on here. Every time, the same couple dipshits have posted a dumb response. And every time I've been correct.

One day, I encourage one of you to put your money where your mouth is. 

Dude, 4 years in a row I've picked the surprise team in the conference and that team went from a losing season to double digit wins and I've never, not one single time, ever crowed about it. Have some humility, bruh.

BTW, SJSU is the surprise team this year and Air Force will win the SEC Mountain.

On 8/12/2022 at 10:36 AM, Jimbo_Poke said:

I wish this was the case, but the wheels seem to be coming off in Wyoming and CSU to the south hired a coach who has shown he can compete in the MWC.  There is talent on that team and I think Norvell is going to eliminate a lot of the under achieving that has been going on for the Sheep.  I can see them winning the division and conference, if they do I will be calling for an official rename from CSU to UNR-Fort Collins.

That dude couldn't even win the poop-stink West division. How could he possibly win the SEC Mountain?

On 8/12/2022 at 1:41 PM, Spaztecs said:

Cream of the Crop:

AFA - The best team they have had in a while. Will they adjust to the new blocking rules ?

Boise - O-line ? marks

Fresno -  The Old Ball Coach is back and they have the best QB in the Conference

SDSU - Secondaries and D-Coordinators are going to think they have turned over a bad Penny when Brionne torches them for RAC. The O-line will be the concern. Due to injuries they entered Fall Camp with only nine active linemen and two returners with experience.

Utags - Despite the personnel losses, Blake Anderson knows how to work the Transfer Portal.

Bowl Eligible:

CSU- Reno will improve and pull a few surprises.

Sparty - A little offense will go a long way

UNLV - The Rebs may have their once a decade Bowl appearance.

Making Sacrifices to the Football Gods:

Hawaii - They better off with a guy who knows the culture, but lost a shit ton of front line talent.

UNR - Everything I have read is Wilson was a solid hire. It will take a few seasons to stock the shelves 

Why-O-Y-oming - I'm from Mizzou and they have a lot to prove. The most inconsistent team from game to game I have ever witnessed in my 55 years of watching FB.

Los Lobos - Great Rock Band and D coordinator. Improvement might be measured by winning one more game than last year.

The Boise OL has been a concern for years, but it shouldn't be this year. Barring injuries, it should be the best they've had in quite some time.