Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Willie Cee

Sayonara Aztecs

On 8/9/2022 at 3:16 PM, FresnoFacts said:

No Wilner was the first to report it. Yahoo Sports credited Wilner for breaking the story:

"USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12 for the Big Ten in 2024, the schools and conference announced Thursday. Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News first reported the universities were in talks of joining the Big Ten."

https://sports.yahoo.com/reports-usc-ucla-planning-to-leave-pac-12-for-big-ten-174647901.html

"So now Jon Wilner, the veteran Pac-12 reporter, broke the news Thursday that USC and UCLA were negotiating to leave for the Big Ten in 2024. The schools later made it official in an announcement."

https://sports.yahoo.com/sec-fired-the-first-shot-the-big-ten-responded-by-poaching-usc-and-ucla-and-gut-punching-pac-12-alliance-partner-205216755.html

Facts are hard for Woosh to understand

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

I'm kind of the mind the BIG12 will snag SDSU before the PAC10 and that's purely due to the fact the PAC seems to love to sit back and wait while the BIG12 is much more proactive.

They could really hose the PAC by snagging FSU along with SDSU taking what they can of the SOCAL market. And if the Contract $$ would increase by matching the BIG10/SEC at 16 teams could add BSU and Memphis (though id like to see Utah in the BIG12), could look like:

WEST: SDSU, FSU, BYU, BSU/Utah

STATES:(CA, UT, ID)

NORTH: Kansas, KSU, ISU, OSU

STATES:(KS, IA, OK)

SOUTH: TTU, TCU, Baylor, Houston

STATES:(TX)

EAST: Cincy, Memphis, UCF, WVU

STATES:(OH, WV, TN, FL)

This is just an example as I could see them also splitting all the Texas schools into different pods so every pod gets a chance to visit Texas every other year.

On 8/9/2022 at 7:23 PM, Headbutt said:

We're all just spitballing here, but I don't think either of those scenarios is imminent.  P10 is in the catbird seat now with ESPN and has very little to fear from a B12 raid.  Obviously that could change, but for now the P10 is the most attractive TV conference of the two and I suspect that ESPN is on board with that.  As far as Oregon to the B1G, not this week.  The B1G is getting a little cumbersome.  I think their next step is a slow one.  When enough changes happen that they can jettison a Purdue to get a UW, then yeah, that will probably happen.  Oregon would be high on their list, behind Washington, but I'm guessing that they'll first need to find a way to ditch a couple of weak markets in order to bring in new ones.  ND is the wildcard that can change everything, but it looks like that hand is already being played.  In due time, probably, but not today.

No one is getting "jettisoned" from a major conference. There isn't enough media rights money to pay the court judgment. Conferences may move to unequal revenue sharing, based on how much revenue the football or basketball teams bring to the conference, but that's as far as it will go.

On 8/10/2022 at 12:28 AM, Dogday63 said:

No one is getting "jettisoned" from a major conference. There isn't enough media rights money to pay the court judgment. Conferences may move to unequal revenue sharing, based on how much revenue the football or basketball teams bring to the conference, but that's as far as it will go.

Yeah, not now.  Will Nebraska or Purdue make the cut in a real realignment and separation from the rest of the NCAA?  I don't see court judgements having anything to do with that if/when things take that direction.

On 8/9/2022 at 6:14 PM, utgrizfan said:

I'm kind of the mind the BIG12 will snag SDSU before the PAC10 and that's purely due to the fact the PAC seems to love to sit back and wait while the BIG12 is much more proactive.

They could really hose the PAC by snagging FSU along with SDSU taking what they can of the SOCAL market. And if the Contract $$ would increase by matching the BIG10/SEC at 16 teams could add BSU and Memphis (though id like to see Utah in the BIG12), could look like:

This is just an example as I could see them also splitting all the Texas schools into different pods so every pod gets a chance to visit Texas every other year.

I can’t see the the Big 12 inviting any MWC schools when there’s still a realistic chance of 4-6 Pac-12 schools falling into their laps.

On 8/8/2022 at 6:09 PM, Fowl said:

I'll believe it when I see it.  It doesn't matter what talking heads think.  What matters is what the presidents of the Pac 12 schools think and they are all about associating with large, research-driven universities.  SDSU is not one.  It's tough enough to sell that to them.  Just wait until the presidents are told that SDSU will dilute their conference payouts - strike 2.  

Studies posted in the U$CLA to the B1G thread show that TV revenue will increase slightly and it will reduce the overall revenue loss of U$CLA bolting for the doors.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 8/9/2022 at 8:23 PM, Headbutt said:

We're all just spitballing here, but I don't think either of those scenarios is imminent.  P10 is in the catbird seat now with ESPN and has very little to fear from a B12 raid.  Obviously that could change, but for now the P10 is the most attractive TV conference of the two and I suspect that ESPN is on board with that.  As far as Oregon to the B1G, not this week.  The B1G is getting a little cumbersome.  I think their next step is a slow one.  When enough changes happen that they can jettison a Purdue to get a UW, then yeah, that will probably happen.  Oregon would be high on their list, behind Washington, but I'm guessing that they'll first need to find a way to ditch a couple of weak markets in order to bring in new ones.  ND is the wildcard that can change everything, but it looks like that hand is already being played.  In due time, probably, but not today.

Nobody, I mean nobody is leaving the B1G.

No matter how much the Big Boys want it.

For the same reasons Vandy ain't getting booted from the $EC.

Americans Mayor

On 8/9/2022 at 10:14 PM, utgrizfan said:

Yep, I definitely see the two SoCal Schools happily financing road trips Morgantown for their Olys.

:facepalm:

Americans Mayor

On 8/9/2022 at 11:28 PM, Dogday63 said:

If these Conferences really want to jettison  so called weak sisters, they will need to hold an airport meeting and create a new Conference.

Also, if you create a powerhouse Conference, there ate no weak sisters left to pad the resume. There will be a whole lot of .500 FB happening 

Americans Mayor

On 8/10/2022 at 7:56 AM, Spaztecs said:

Nobody, I mean nobody is leaving the B1G.

No matter how much the Big Boys want it.

For the same reasons Vandy ain't getting booted from the $EC.

Agree, at least not this year, or even the next 5-10.  My point is that eventually, if there is going to be a semi-pro conference, there will be splits and that's when the B1G (or whatever they call themselves at that point) will start rearranging membership.  The dead weight will fall off as they pick and choose markets.  Unless they decide to climb into the 20's, some teams will have to wait their turn for the big split.  Some B1G, SEC, etc. teams will not survive this hypothetical big split.  That's when the swapping I refer to could come into play.

One thing is for sure, Boise State is going to stay in the Mountain West, this cycle.

If it were my choice, I would choose UNLV to join SDSU in the Pac12. However, It think it is going to end up being some Texas school. 

If I were the Pac 12, I would add SDSU, UNLV, Colorado State, and make a run at BYU. If BYU says "no," I would do what I could to get a Texas school in this order (trying to be realistic): Houston, Texas Tech, SMU.

Reality is, the Pac 12's only TV revenue play is the evening time slots now. As such, you might as well go all in as a western conference.

Boise is stuck, Lower Nevada has a Good TV market, new Stadium and hopefully attractive to anyone but the PacWhen.

On 8/9/2022 at 8:21 PM, mugtang said:

Facts are hard for Woosh to understand

200.gif

On 8/8/2022 at 4:45 PM, bigd said:

If it happens, it would be cool to see the Aztecs football (and basketball for that matter) jump to the top of the Pac-12. If you would've been in the Pac-12 last year I'd say there's a pretty good chance you would've been in the Rose Bowl, particularly if you played Utah early like last season. 

I really think it would awaken a sleeping giant, no reason that SDSU can't out recruit as well as any pac 12 program.

Yeah, I’m completely tired of Nevada vs. SDSU games. It would be nice to have one in another conference so those conflicting games don’t happen and be easier to support both all the time. 

kat.jpg