Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gonzagafan2021

Florida Gulf Coast AD believes that Automatic Qualifiers from March Madness is gonna go away soon

a 16 beating a 1 seed has only happened once, so the odds of that happening again are incredibly low anyway.

But I actually think this one thing that will be saved I think, unlike college football, for the NCAA tournament people like watching the small guys in the tournament where in football you don't have as much interest in the little guys.

On 8/9/2022 at 2:09 PM, wolfpack1 said:

a 16 beating a 1 seed has only happened once, so the odds of that happening again are incredibly low anyway.

But I actually think this one thing that will be saved I think, unlike college football, for the NCAA tournament people like watching the small guys in the tournament where in football you don't have as much interest in the little guys.

But there's been ten 15 seeds knocking off 2 seeds since 1991. One every three + years. 🏀 I love those upsets.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2022-03-17/history-2-seeds-vs-15-seeds-march-madness

On 8/9/2022 at 4:19 PM, crixus said:

But there's been ten 15 seeds knocking off 2 seeds since 1991. One every three + years. 🏀 I love those upsets.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2022-03-17/history-2-seeds-vs-15-seeds-march-madness

You would see more 16 and 15 seeds winning if the tournament had the best 64 teams in the nation. 

On 8/9/2022 at 2:19 PM, crixus said:

Yea but I was talking 16 over a 1, so the president of the university using that ehh he would have been better to use the 15 vs 2 line

On 8/9/2022 at 3:33 PM, masterfrog said:

You would see more 16 and 15 seeds winning if the tournament had the best 64 teams in the nation. 

That's boring though. I have no care for 15 seed Vanderbilt or something. I'd rather watch some random religious school I didn't even know existed knock someone off.

On 8/9/2022 at 2:33 PM, masterfrog said:

It wouldn't be the same though,  and there is also the possiblity they went that direction they have just have brackets and not really rankings.

Would absolutely ruin it. Cinderella's are a huge part of the appeal and tradition of March Madness. 

I don't see this happening unless the major conferences break away from the NCAA. At that point it's just minor league professional sports, and I'd prefer the NBA playoffs to an NCAA bracket with a bunch of below .500 power programs. 

On 8/9/2022 at 2:38 PM, jewelz4562000 said:

That's boring though. I have no care for 15 seed Vanderbilt or something. I'd rather watch some random religious school I didn't even know existed knock someone off.

The Magic of the Dance is the Florida Gulf Coast’s just playing out of their minds and upsetting the big names. That’s why so many watch. Take that away, and you ruin it. Why try to fix something that’s as close to perfect as it can get?

By doing that, you’re also going to kill the NIT. 

kat.jpg

On 8/26/2022 at 9:01 PM, Gonzagafan2021 said:

I feel like the NIT will just be the big dance for mid majors and low major schools in the future 

That was actually a concern that was brought up when NCAA bought the NIT rights.

On 8/27/2022 at 8:46 AM, MrBug708 said:

I doubt this happens, they'd just expand the tournament

They have talked about expanding the NCAA tournament but the talk has been also about getting rid of the automatic qualifiers and getting more teams from the power conferences into the tournament.

On 8/27/2022 at 8:26 AM, Gonzagafan2021 said:

Oh really? Well I guess they were right lol

Those were the first things that came up was a concern they would turn NIT into a tournament for the low to mid major teams to get them out of the NCAA Tournament.