Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slappy

Can the MW overtake AAC for the big bowl

Early voting puts Cincy and Hou in driver seat again.  Aztecs and Utah State are getting some early love.  But honestly they would have to be perfect and get a couple losses from an AAC school.  We need to make some changes. 

On 8/8/2022 at 3:55 PM, jewelz4562000 said:

They are making the changes for us by both leaving soon.  As for this year Utah State isn't going to be up there.  I think Fresno and Boise have better shots. They are just ranking based of last year.

I was wrong in thinking the MW and AAC would go back and forth with each of their conf champs getting the nod.  It has turned into a AAC only race.  Frustrating but it is what it is.  I don’t think anyone can be perfect from the MW.  Even if perfect, likely not enough. 

On 8/8/2022 at 8:37 AM, slappy said:

I was wrong in thinking the MW and AAC would go back and forth with each of their conf champs getting the nod.  It has turned into a AAC only race.  Frustrating but it is what it is.  I don’t think anyone can be perfect from the MW.  Even if perfect, likely not enough. 

If we pull out a map and measure the mean distance from Manhattan, it tells us which league will (a) bring in more TV $$ and (b) periodically get somebody in the "playoffs."

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

YES. 

If any MWC goes undefeated they will go over a 1-loss AAC team as the Gof5 representative.

It would take a school with a ridiculously easy OOC schedule (think Wyoming last year), missing all the heavyweights in the other division and then taking on a 7-5 team for the championship for the MWC team not to go over a 1-loss Group of 5 school.

Would they go to the playoff? Errr... Doubt it. You need a LOT to go your way.

Houston has a fairly easy schedule this year.  Their OOC is at UTSA, Texas Tech in DFW, vs Kansas, and vs Rice.  They only have to leave the state of Texas for three games: @ Memphis, @ ECU, and @ Navy and they miss Cincy and UCF.

Cincy OOC is at Arkansas, vs Kennesaw St, vs Miami (OH), and vs Indiana.  Haven't looked at Arkansas but they are favored by 7 and were pretty impressive last year.

Boise has a schedule that is conducive with the only p5 opponent at Oregon St and then get SDSU, fresno, USU, and BYU at home.  OOC is just Oregon St, BYU, UTEP, and UT Martin.

Fresno, SDSU, and USU have to at least keep it close against SC, Utah, and Bama, respectively and then probably run the table to make it.

Also, don't overlook AFA.  They get Boise and Colorado at home and have eight days to prep for Navy and 14 days to prep for Army.

....after their 3 best teams split....yes.

6 out of the last 7 including the last 5 in a row is quite the accomplishment.

Bosie in '19 was really the only time during that stretch where we had anyone even close.

5923508649007_bestsuperbowlpicture.jpg.3d879e07e88f2c9ecd15a44ed82786a3.jpg

On 8/8/2022 at 8:34 PM, Pokez said:

....after their 3 best teams split....yes.

6 out of the last 7 including the last 5 in a row is quite the accomplishment.

Bosie in '19 was really the only time during that stretch where we had anyone even close.

And people wonder why the MW isn’t really choice a b or c when it comes to expansion. 

Don’t know that NY6 is possible this year but this is the time to build momentum for next season for sure.  If the MW champ can finish top 20 and the runner up still receive votes by the end then I think there’s a good chance next year could swing this way.  Need smu, Memphis, and ECU to have down seasons as well.

Seeing SDSU get screwed in the polls last year gives me little faith. They beat the Pac-12 champion and were running the table in conference for much of the year, yet were still ranked below Sun Belt and C-USA teams with way worse SOS (ie. UTSA who they were clearly better than). 

East Coast bias and the fall of the Pac-12 has definitely hurt. I don't know who Boise, Air Force, SDSU, and Fresno have OOC but we'll need one of them to dominate. Hopefully this is the year. 

For now, it's all about either of Houston or Cincy in the G5 Cotton Bowl bid.  The more interesting part is whether it is against Southern Cal or Oklahoma.  Way too early NY6 predictions.  It's a looong season with plenty of surprises and whatnot.  Who knows, Coastal Carolina could be in the Cotton Bowl. 

Looking forward to the initial AP poll one week from today and MWC rankings. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

On 8/8/2022 at 3:47 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Don’t know that NY6 is possible this year but this is the time to build momentum for next season for sure.  If the MW champ can finish top 20 and the runner up still receive votes by the end then I think there’s a good chance next year could swing this way.  Need smu, Memphis, and ECU to have down seasons as well.

ECU football is a sleeping giant....

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 8/8/2022 at 9:35 PM, Coog kev said:

For now, it's all about either of Houston or Cincy in the G5 Cotton Bowl bid.  The more interesting part is whether it is against Southern Cal or Oklahoma.  Way too early NY6 predictions.  It's a looong season with plenty of surprises and whatnot.  Who knows, Coastal Carolina could be in the Cotton Bowl. 

Looking forward to the initial AP poll one week from today and MWC rankings. 

Cotton bowl will be the conference champion (Cincy or UCF) against the fourth place SEC team.  Book it.  

On 8/9/2022 at 12:18 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I don’t know if you jest but they have the same chance as you or smu to carry the torch beginning next season. You’re 8-16 against them.  They’ve shown improvement.

lol, didn't we make Cotton and Liberty bowls?

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 8/8/2022 at 4:51 PM, bigd said:

Seeing SDSU get screwed in the polls last year gives me little faith. They beat the Pac-12 champion and were running the table in conference for much of the year, yet were still ranked below Sun Belt and C-USA teams with way worse SOS (ie. UTSA who they were clearly better than). 

East Coast bias and the fall of the Pac-12 has definitely hurt. I don't know who Boise, Air Force, SDSU, and Fresno have OOC but we'll need one of them to dominate. Hopefully this is the year. 

I said it a few weeks ago. SDSU, AFA, Fresno and USU were very underrated last year. The good news is, there are 5 MWC teams getting votes in the first coaches' poll. No doubt there is bias and G5 teams need to be super consistent to get respect.