UNLV2001

Vin is gone

On 8/2/2022 at 9:37 PM, Gonzagafan2021 said:

wasn't he against kneeling down though and said he wasn't gonna watch another NFL game?

Yes. A 90 year old retiree said it was his personal choice to not watch another NFL game.
Read the room dude.

• Like 3

One of his best calls.  Scully could tell a story like nobody else.  And was also the best at letting the crowd tell the story when the moment called for it, like the end of game 6 in the 1986 World Series.

• Thanks 1

I was blessed to grow up in SoCal and hear the legends calling games.

Don Drysdale, Chick Hearn. Dick Enberg, Jerry Coleman, and Vin Scully.

Scully could paint a picture of the game and bring it into your minds eye. He could take you back to a great moment in time as if he were freshly calling it. He and Joe Garagiola on the NBC game of the week were awesome as a kid.

I have no doubt at that Corn Field in the Field of Dreams, they have just handed the mike over to him as Jackie Robinson is dancing off third base and threatening to steal home.

Poetry, absolute poetry.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 11:22 PM, jdgaucho said:

One of his best calls.  He could tell a story like nobody else.  And was great at letting the crowd tell the story, like the end of game 6 in the 1986 World Series.

A great  WS call by the greatest announcer of all.

This one was Golden as well. Vin never over talked a moment. He let what was happening on the field tell the story.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 8/3/2022 at 12:02 AM, Spaztecs said:

This one was Golden as well. Vin never over talked a moment. He let what was happening on the field tell the story.

This is one of my favs, thanks for posting it, my parents were lifelong Dodger fans (especially my mom), I also grew up listening to Vin.. He just made me feel better, I don't know why, or why I even needed to feel better, lol. Good times, I have a lot of great memories listening to Vin, and Chick.

RIP Vin, we'll miss you.

• Like 3

On 8/3/2022 at 12:02 AM, Spaztecs said:

I ran into Mike Davis about 6 months ago. He lives in Las Vegas. I was like "holy crap you were on second base when Gibson hit the home run!" I was starstruck.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/2/2022 at 11:02 PM, soupslam1 said:

Vin Scully and the Dodgers are synonymous. I can’t count how many games I listened to him and Jerry Doggett as there were very few televised games decades ago. If you were out you’d here his voice all over LA when the Dodgers were playing. 

Doggett  was nothing special on his own but as Vin's sidekick, he was excellent. Unfortunately, the Dodgers gradually replaced Doggett with Mr. Statistic, Ross Porter, who eventually replaced Doggett as the second play by play guy. 

Maybe the funniest sports column I ever read was written by Tom Hoffarth of the L.A. Daily News about Porter. It just dripped with hilarious sarcasm about how rather then filling otherwise dead air time with interesting stories as Vin Scully did, Porter would insert endless stats which often had no relevance to what was occurring on the field. Thankfully, I lived in the Bay Area and SD for a good part of Porter's tenure with the Dodgers but when I didn't and listened to ballgames, I would turn the radio off during Dodgers broadcasts when he was doing PBP.

RIP, Vinnie, nobody has earned that right more than you.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 9:01 PM, roughrider said:

Really for radio there was Vin and Chick Hearn.  Legends.   Not a happy day.

Chick was the guy who created the term, "air ball."  Did Vin have a line as well?  

On 8/3/2022 at 1:45 PM, aztech said:

Chick was the guy who created the term, "air ball."  Did Vin have a line as well?  

"It's time for Dodger baseball."

He'd also always start a broadcast with - "A pleasant good afternoon (or evening) to you, wherever you may be."

• Like 3

On 8/2/2022 at 9:01 PM, roughrider said:

Really for radio there was Vin and Chick Hearn.  Legends.   Not a happy day.

The LA Kings had another local legend in Bob Miller. He was their broadcaster for 44 years until he retired in 2017. As a hockey fan and a Los Angeles sports fan, I enjoyed him as much as Scully and Hearn. 

On 8/3/2022 at 2:45 PM, aztech said:

Chick also coined the phrases,

He put him in the popcorn machine,

no harm no foul

dribble drive

and the ultimate when Chick knew the game was won 

“You can put this one in the refrigerator. The door’s closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter’s getting hard and the Jell-O is jiggling.”

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2002-aug-06-me-chickisms6-story.html#:~:text=Chick Hearn has so many,Jell-O is jiggling.”&text=Translation%3A The game has been decided.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/3/2022 at 5:10 PM, Spaztecs said:

Chick also coined the phrases,

He put him in the popcorn machine,

no harm no foul

dribble drive

and the ultimate when Chick knew the game was won 

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2002-aug-06-me-chickisms6-story.html#:~:text=Chick Hearn has so many,Jell-O is jiggling.”&text=Translation%3A The game has been decided.

Also... 

Slam Dunk 

Sky Hook 

The mustard is off the hot dog

No look pass

And the classic.. 6'5".... with the afro 6'9" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Vin always knew what to say, how to deliver a message. This was a week after 9/11

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 10:37 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Father Time may be undefeated but the internet is a close second.

He made it sound so easy.

Call me selfish and biased because I’m not a huge baseball fan but I wish college football  could have stolen him. He was Pat Summerall and Keith Jackson silky smooth. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 10:00 PM, utenation said:

Call me selfish and biased because I’m not a huge baseball fan but I wish college football  could have stolen him. He was Pat Summerall and Keith Jackson silky smooth. 

I was thinking Keith Jackson too. There’s something about the timbre and delivery. Some people are just born to call games.

On 8/3/2022 at 11:38 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

I was thinking Keith Jackson too. There’s something about the timbre and delivery. Some people are just born to call games.

Very similar style I think.

On 8/3/2022 at 10:00 PM, utenation said:

He did call some NFL games back in the 70's. 

He was a baseball announcer. His style, delivery and nuance were not well suited to the NFL.

The guy who was best at calling numerous sports was Dick Stockton. He was best at B-ball, but very good at Football as well.