Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Akkula

anti-Choicers getting crushed in Kansas

On 8/4/2022 at 2:49 AM, Nevada Convert said:

Yeah, but you just admitted that you’re a liar because we all know you’d never wish that I was right. LOL. 

I’ve never claimed to be one. I wish you were right, it’d be like the last place Pinewood Derby driver getting a trophy. A real feel-good story of Hallmark proportions, dare I say a true  Horatio Alger-type of deal. 

On 8/2/2022 at 9:05 PM, Akkula said:

Voting no on allowing legislature to ban abortions.  Turnout is high and no votes are far outstripping how Biden did.  Lots of Republicans are voting against and lots of Democrats turning out.   

The amendment was too wide open. The left ads made it seem like no abortion was going to be allowed. The right to life needs to come back and incremental put an end to abortions no one supports in Kansas. It was too ambitious and the left kick our ass. 

on a side note the people decided, not some judge. 

The right to lifers need to learn from this mistake and move on. 

November doesn’t seem to be a Republican blow out like I predicted. A lot of bad candidates for the Republicans. Herschel Walker, Trump could get more minorities votes than he can. 

The abortion issue might have more pull than I thought. But I would be hesitant to read to much into the Kansas vote. The left turned it into a vote of no abortion allowed period. Few support that. Props to left and the propaganda win. 

I think the Republicans barely sneak out control of the house. I’m not sure about the senate. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

On 8/3/2022 at 8:42 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Does California have it correct in your view? Does a woman lose bodily autonomy at 24 weeks unless diagnosed by a doctor?

The short version of a long answer is... no. California doesn't have it correct, because our our entire system of legal and political thought cannot get it correct. There's a huge blind spot the size of a pregnant woman's belly in all of it.

But a shorter version of a short answer is... sort of. If a line has to be drawn before birth, then viability for all its own problems seems a better place to draw it than any earlier place. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 8/3/2022 at 8:38 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Oh come on. 

I encourage you to find an example on here, any example please, of me talking a big game about pronouns. 

I'll wait...

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 8/3/2022 at 10:29 PM, Spaztecs said:

fify

No, I think it's a win for people outside of Kansas, too.

First, the state is next to anti-abortion states. So people can still drive to Kansas to exercise a choice.

Second, all it will take is a couple more of these in red states and legislatures may get a little less trigger happy with their total bans. While it wills till be a bad situation in red states for women, it won't be quite as bad. So that's good for everyone. Sort of.

Finally, it's evidence that Roe/Casey was actually good law, since this vote basically says people like the constitutional status quo in Kansas which was around the borders of Roe/Casey in the first place. 

On 8/3/2022 at 10:56 PM, Spaztecs said:

Cause the right to an Abortion is not in the Bill of Rights.

:shrug:

Well, the bill of rights also says that just because a right isn't enumerated in constitution, doesn't mean it's not a right. 

On 8/4/2022 at 10:30 AM, Nevada Convert said:

So you’re going to go on the record as a purely amateur lefty? 

I'm not a lefty.

On 8/4/2022 at 10:20 AM, robe said:

The amendment was too wide open. The left ads made it seem like no abortion was going to be allowed. The right to life needs to come back and incremental put an end to abortions no one supports in Kansas. It was too ambitious and the left kick our ass. 

on a side note the people decided, not some judge. 

The right to lifers need to learn from this mistake and move on. 

November doesn’t seem to be a Republican blow out like I predicted. A lot of bad candidates for the Republicans. Herschel Walker, Trump could get more minorities votes than he can. 

The abortion issue might have more pull than I thought. But I would be hesitant to read to much into the Kansas vote. The left turned it into a vote of no abortion allowed period. Few support that. Props to left and the propaganda win. 

I think the Republicans barely sneak out control of the house. I’m not sure about the senate. 

Right. the pro-choicers were the dishonest propagandists over there. 

Lulz.

On 8/4/2022 at 11:40 AM, robe said:

Let’s not get carried away with this vote. 

Again this vote said we don’t want to outlaw all abortions. An easy win 

The problem the GOP senate candidates will have is that the religious fundamentalists will demand they not be RINOs and be extremists for a total abortion ban.  Woman and sane people will be on the other side and demand that they make reasonable exceptions or allow women to choose.  

They can't straddle the fence or just play to their base while knowing their rhetoric will have no consequences any longer.  They are either going to piss off one group or another.  If they are 100% in with the religious fundamentalists they are OUT.   Plus, evangelicals think they "won" so why do they need to turn out?

Ron Johnson is about to get his ass handed to him.  Fetterman is going to be the pants off of Oz.  Herschel Walker is an idiot.  The GOP is delivering Arizona on a silver plate.  Nevada isn't going to go well for them either.

What exactly is their path to the senate with this in front of them?  If Democrats get the right kinds of ballot initiates they could drive up non-crazy turnout in gerryamdnered districts. 

Posted Image

https://www.theamericanconservative.com

This is a good article.  He's right too, its been easy for Republicans to mouth I'm pro life without getting into specifics as long as Roe V Wade was around.  Now they have to delve into reality and say things that will piss off constituents either way.

Republicans are going to have to grow some stones and come up with a reasonable position on abortion, otherwise they will allow democrats to frame them as extremists.  The only position less popular than abortion on demand anytime anywhere, is no abortion ever regardless of circumstances.

On 8/5/2022 at 11:55 PM, CPslograd said:

https://www.theamericanconservative.com

This is a good article.  He's right too, its been easy for Republicans to mouth I'm pro life without getting into specifics as long as Roe V Wade was around.  Now they have to delve into reality and say things that will piss off constituents either way.

Republicans are going to have to grow some stones and come up with a reasonable position on abortion, otherwise they will allow democrats to frame them as extremists.  The only position less popular than abortion on demand anytime anywhere, is no abortion ever regardless of circumstances.

The problem the Republican’s have with the religious right is….. if you believe it is truly a life, the only reasonable exception is the life of the mother.

Now that it’s costing them votes and soon elections the establishment Republicans that didn’t really believe but wanted the votes are in a tough spot..

anything in the middle is as @smltwnrckr says just punishing whores.   

On 8/6/2022 at 12:27 AM, sactowndog said:

The problem the Republican’s have with the religious right is….. if you believe it is truly a life, the only reasonable exception is the life of the mother.

Now that it’s costing them votes and soon elections the establishment Republicans that didn’t really believe but wanted the votes are in a tough spot..

Also, there are no abortion on demand anytime anywhere states. That is not what theaw was under roe/casey. That's a lie perpetuated by anti abortion activists who actually want no abortions ever. 

It's interesting the rhetorical shift on the right now. They apparently are just fighting against third trimester abortions, abortions anywhere anytime on demand, abortions at 7 months, all things that they already could have prevented under roe/Casey and were prevented overwhelmingly. That sounds like an extremist trying to seem reasonable. 

On 8/6/2022 at 12:27 AM, sactowndog said:

And the above post speaks to this right here. The republican anti-whore coalition should just word the laws to reflect what they are really thinking and strike a compromise that will satisfy their members... abortions are only available to women who don't want them. 

On 8/6/2022 at 7:31 AM, smltwnrckr said:

It's interesting the rhetorical shift on the right now. They apparently are just fighting against third trimester abortions, abortions anywhere anytime on demand, abortions at 7 months, all things that they already could have prevented under roe/Casey and were prevented overwhelmingly. That sounds like an extremist trying to seem reasonable. 

Yeah well people aren’t dumb.  They can see what laws the social conservatives are passing.  And in reality I respect those guys for at least being logically consistent. 

On 8/6/2022 at 8:08 AM, sactowndog said:

Yeah well people aren’t dumb.  They can see what laws the social conservatives are passing.  And in reality I respect those guys for at least being logically consistent. 

I can't find the article right now, but the main spokeswoman for the pro-life group in Kansas who were leading the campaign for the amendment, the night it was rejected, was basically like "we will make abortion illegal. abortion is murder." This was after weeks of the message being, "we're not trying to ban abortion!!! The left is lying to you!!! We just want to give the lawmakers a choice!!"

They're such liars, they can't even hide it.