Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Akkula

anti-Choicers getting crushed in Kansas

On 8/2/2022 at 7:05 PM, Akkula said:

Voting no on allowing legislature to ban abortions.  Turnout is high and no votes are far outstripping how Biden did.  Lots of Republicans are voting against and lots of Democrats turning out.   

If Lennon were a Commie, would you also have a shrine for him in your room? 

kat.jpg

On 8/2/2022 at 7:10 PM, smltwnrckr said:

Still early. But crossing fingers. Kansas is historically a pro-bodily-autonomy state, from its Jayhawker days to its being a huge pro choice enclave pre-roe. 

My grandma was a nurse who got her degree at Kansas. Rock chalk.

WTF do you know about Kansas? What happens in Metro KC ain’t Kansas. If you drive around rural Kansas, all you see is pro-life plea’s on signs from some Farmers. You never see anything that’s anything but conservative. 

In the small cities that scatter rural Kansas such as Salina, Hays, Great Bend, Dodge City, Garden City, Hutchinson, Colby, etc., they will remain staunchly pro-life and will never change. Huge numbers of staunch German Catholics. 

However, Wichita has become more and more mainstream and is probably a big part of this as Topeka certainly would, and Manhattan, of course. There’s enough population there and in KC to make the rest of the very conservative state powerless. 

kat.jpg

On 8/3/2022 at 1:56 AM, Nevada Convert said:

WTF do you know about Kansas? What happens in Metro KC ain’t Kansas. If you drive around rural Kansas, all you see is pro-life plea’s on signs from some Farmers. You never see anything that’s anything but conservative. 

In the small cities that scatter rural Kansas such as Salina, Hays, Great Bend, Dodge City, Garden City, Hutchinson, Colby, etc., they will remain staunchly pro-life and will never change. Huge numbers of staunch German Catholics. 

However, Wichita has become more and more mainstream and is probably a big part of this as Topeka certainly would, and Manhattan, of course. There’s enough population there and in KC to make the rest of the very conservative state powerless. 

i think you mean "staunchly retarded"...lol

On 8/3/2022 at 2:56 AM, Nevada Convert said:

Too bad for you the Senate races will be statewide.  Most states will probably have a citizen initiative in abortion as well.   All Republicans supported Mitch McConnell's and Donald Trumps court packing with religious fundamentalists.   All Republicans will do the same thing again regardless of how "concerned" they are like Susan Collins.   A vote for ANY Republican is a vote to deny women sovereignty over their own bodies.   They can't run away.   

I was so happy you guys got Roe overturned and it was left to democracy to decide!!!  You idiot dogs finally caught the car forcing 10 year olds to carry a rape baby.   Now you will lose all seats of power permanently AND abortion will be legalized in statute or be on the ballot as a vote turnout machine for Dems instead of Republicans in swing states for all eternity. 

What,  I thought you guys loved culture wars!:rotflmfao:

Posted Image

On 8/3/2022 at 3:48 AM, Akkula said:

Too bad for you the Senate races will be statewide.  Most states will probably have a citizen initiative in abortion as well.   All Republicans supported Mitch McConnell's and Donald Trumps court packing with religious fundamentalists.   All Republicans will do the same thing again regardless of how "concerned" they are like Susan Collins.   A vote for ANY Republican is a vote to deny women sovereignty over their own bodies.   They can't run away.   

I was so happy you guys got Roe overturned and it was left to democracy to decide!!!  You idiot dogs finally caught the car forcing 10 year olds to carry a rape baby.   Now you will lose all seats of power permanently AND abortion will be legalized in statute or be on the ballot as a vote turnout machine for Dems instead of Republicans in swing states for all eternity. 

I completely agree with you that abortion should be legal, but it's not court packing when you're keeping the size of the Supreme Court the same.

On 8/3/2022 at 4:56 AM, Nevada Convert said:

oh. ok. well if only we had a way to count the opinion of most of the people in the state to decide these things and see how popular these measures are. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Doesn't take much to buy or make a sign in rural areas.  It's that way in rural areas I have lived in, but if you actually talk to people, folks are not monolithically one way on this.  Most people simply don't discuss it, so you see the loudest voice as the majority.  Same as pretty much everything else.  And regarding personal rights being kept due to the rest of the very conservative state being "powerless", well, that is more an indictment that the "powerless" wanted "power" over personal rights, and that is not popular to the entirety of Kansans apparently.  I am sure the "powerless" will have little personal effect on them because of it, so freedom rings, and if they don't like that, well, says more about them than anything.

WTF do you know about Kansas?

Well, I know that yesterday almost 2/3 of the people who voted in an election weighted heavily toward the GOP due to the closed primary still wanted abortion to be a constitutionally protected right and resoundingly said that leaving it in the hands of the state legislature is government overreach.

I also know that Kansans are historically big fans of bodily autonomy, going back to before and during the Civil War when militant pro-bodily-autonomy groups would patrol the border and clash with anti-bodily-autonomy groups from Missouri. That's why I was bummed that Mizzou went to the SEC... that Kansas/Missouri rivalry goes back to the before they were states. 

And I know that pre-Roe, Kansas as a state was very supportive of abortion rights. 

So, WTF do you know about Kansas?

What happens in Metro KC ain’t Kansas. If you drive around rural Kansas, all you see is pro-life plea’s on signs from some Farmers. You never see anything that’s anything but conservative. 

It's a good thing that they won't be able to force women to carry births in their state. 

I'm up for making the state as powerless as possible. Rock Chalk!

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 8/3/2022 at 4:38 AM, ph90702 said:

Another one of those no means yes and yes means no questions! 🤦‍♂️

The anti-abortion activists set it up that way, and also obfuscated the meaning of the language even more leading into the election. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

This is good news. I've been waiting to see if and how much this issue moved votes in a post-Roe world. Now that it is not a Constitutionally guaranteed right, it always made sense that there would be more urgency among pro-choicers. Looks like we have some evidence for that now, and from what might have been considered an unlikely place.

Too bad these abortion questions can’t be done by citizen vote. A legislature of extremists from gerrymandered districts does not accurately reflect the view of the people, especially on an extremely personal issue such as this. 

Before anyone goes “bUt We LiVe In Uh RePuBLiK!!!11!!”, I’m not suggesting everything be solved by direct democracy, but personal rights issues should be voted on, especially if we’re going to be kicking it to the states. 

Idaho successfully expanded Medicaid via the 2018 Medicaid Expansion Initiative w/a 60+% vote.  The Leg later responded by passing a law requiring signatures from all 35 districts rather than the prior majority (18). Idaho SC struck that down, and this year there will be an education initiative on the November ballot.

I would expect this issue will be the target of an initiative proposition next go round in the Gem State barring other developments (DoJ lawsuit, etc.). 

On 8/3/2022 at 10:11 AM, renoskier said:

written by and for Republicans...did they fake themselves out?

I believe the correct term is they “pwned” themselves, I could be wrong, not up to date on all the millennial terms.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:48 AM, Akkula said:

WTF was that? I’m pro-choice. I don’t appreciate the right on plenty of issues, and abortion is one. But I’m not a single issue voter, either. You’re a mess. Go suck on a hammer and sickle, commie boy. 

kat.jpg

On 8/3/2022 at 12:17 PM, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Too bad these abortion questions can’t be done by citizen vote. A legislature of extremists from gerrymandered districts does not accurately reflect the view of the people, especially on an extremely personal issue such as this. 

Before anyone goes “bUt We LiVe In Uh RePuBLiK!!!11!!”, I’m not suggesting everything be solved by direct democracy, but personal rights issues should be voted on, especially if we’re going to be kicking it to the states. 

I totally support Personal Injury Attorney’s like you. 

kat.jpg