Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

I got a Traeger Smoker this weekend

Ironwood 650… absolutely great purchase. My almost ten year old Weber Spirit E-350 finally bit the dust, so I was able to finally replace it with a Traeger like I’ve wanted to for a while. 

My first cook on it was tri-tip on Sunday evening. 

EB17C46B-7838-4036-854E-0623E5D02A04.jpeg

You won’t regret it. Just make sure you clean it often!

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 8/2/2022 at 1:38 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

Let's see...

Lives in North Carolina....

Buys a pellet grill....

First meat on it is Tri Tip....

kermit6-21-2016-20160621064006391.jpg

Just yanking chain.  I haven't strayed from the offset setup, but Traegers are nice and really frees up time and concern.

Haha!

I'll be getting a pork shoulder for it this weekend most likely. But tri-tip had to be the first thing I tried on it. 

On 8/2/2022 at 1:44 PM, mugtang said:

You won’t regret it. Just make sure you clean it often!

I've been wanting one for years now, ever since my dad got his first one back in like 2010. They were actually out this weekend and so he and I went to go get it, and he upgraded me to the Ironwood 650 from the Pro I was going to get originally by paying the difference, because he didn't want me to be unhappy with not having the extra features of the Ironwood like he has. 😃 

Never understood the Traeger. Its like cheating. 

Get one that smokes with real wood logs not fake pellets that auto feed in for you. l like to be able to adjust the temp the old fashioned way by placing real wood, and controlling airflow. 

Where is the fun in putting some meat on and turning a dial. 

On 8/2/2022 at 11:49 AM, 406bleedsblue said:

I prefer a cabinet style smoker like this one but you can't go wrong with any smoker. Wood, pellet, propane, they all have their own unique tastes and work great.

20211018_112734.jpg

What do you rub on your chicken when you smoke it?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 8/2/2022 at 10:38 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

Let's see...

Lives in North Carolina....

Buys a pellet grill....

First meat on it is Tri Tip....

kermit6-21-2016-20160621064006391.jpg

Just yanking chain.  I haven't strayed from the offset setup, but Traegers are nice and really frees up time and concern.

The California Derangement Syndrome on this board is getting out of hand. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 8/2/2022 at 10:33 AM, retrofade said:

Ironwood 650… absolutely great purchase. My almost ten year old Weber Spirit E-350 finally bit the dust, so I was able to finally replace it with a Traeger like I’ve wanted to for a while. 

My first cook on it was tri-tip on Sunday evening. 

EB17C46B-7838-4036-854E-0623E5D02A04.jpeg

Nice purchase.  I bought the Ironwood 650 earlier in the year and use it all the time.  Temps get high enough for grilling and does a great job as a smoker.  

How did you cook the tri-tip?

On 8/2/2022 at 11:53 AM, 406bleedsblue said:

That was a wild turkey I shot last year. I actually haven't done a chicken, not a big fan.

I imagine a poultry rub would work for both. I'm a big fan of getting a whole fryer chicken, cutting it in half and smoking both of them. I've never smoked a whole turkey, though. Just a couple turkey breasts. 

On 8/2/2022 at 1:02 PM, smltwnrckr said:

I imagine a poultry rub would work for both. I'm a big fan of getting a whole fryer chicken, cutting it in half and smoking both of them. I've never smoked a whole turkey, though. Just a couple turkey breasts. 

Since it was wild, we brined it for 24hrs in a brown sugar contraption. I'm sure we used some sort of a poultry rub but don't remember which one.

On 8/2/2022 at 11:43 AM, bornontheblue said:

Something like this is way better than a Traeger. 

The offset is my setup, but I do understand folks who want the taste from a smoker but don't have the time to work with it.  I enjoy the offset and log process, but I don't knock anyone who go the pellet route, the food still tastes good.  

I haven't had my smoker for a couple years as I was living in apartments.  I get mine back from my buddies house next week since I now live back in a house.  And. I. Can't. Wait.  :banana:

On 8/2/2022 at 12:37 PM, bornontheblue said:

Get one that smokes with real wood logs not fake pellets that auto feed in for you. l like to be able to adjust the temp the old fashioned way by placing real wood, and controlling airflow. 

Time.  You still get smoked food at your home but don't have to babysit it as much.  

On 8/2/2022 at 10:33 AM, retrofade said:

Well done (pun intended). And dude - that's what I got (the Weber). Great little grill. :cheers:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 8/2/2022 at 12:37 PM, bornontheblue said:

On 8/2/2022 at 1:37 PM, Wyobraska said:

Time.  You still get smoked food at your home but don't have to babysit it as much.  

I’m an offset guy. There is a place for Traegers like wyobraska said but off set smoking is an art. Keeping the right temp, too much smoke, not enough, wood quality and flavor. 

For me, the baby sitting is the art. A great excuse to drink lots of beer while doing a “job”.  Smoking itself is a concept of a long process, so enjoy it. 

I certainly won’t turn down good meat from a Traeger. My Rigs below.  My R2D2 water smoker is now a back up but still turns out a great product.

183B1A81-94E4-47F0-A938-8ACB31339771.jpeg

21C5E621-7618-4012-915E-7A3EB610BA6E.jpeg

68B4328B-9DA1-4CB9-8D3C-1F956C94C4DD.jpeg

E5A8108F-CBC0-47E6-8454-E3E5F8417E78.jpeg

62B2F881-E4A5-475E-B682-E0EBB32976A6.jpeg

D2FFE9BD-A50F-4C82-9236-4DAB26664A12.jpeg

3B453E95-89EF-496F-AD33-FED433AE5BAD.jpeg