Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Triple-WY

Leach’s solution for NIL and college football

On 7/30/2022 at 10:07 AM, BoiseStateOfMind said:

Splitting the players into groups like this sounds like a great way to cause resentment and ruin the locker room.

I'm fairly certain the system as it exists is doing that... this makes things transparent

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

On 8/1/2022 at 9:01 AM, BoiseStateOfMind said:

A draft would never work as long as colleges are involved. There would be so many lawsuits, it's not even funny. The optics of forcing kids to go to certain schools would be terrible.

Once the universities are inevitably cut out beyond maybe licensing the rights to their names, then they might do a draft. But at that point, it doesn't even matter because what used to be college sports will quickly fail on their own anyway.

No, it wouldn't cause lawsuits. Think of this like the NFLPA or similar; they'd have a contract that you'd sign, the contract would depend on whether you go the pro or student-athlete route. Legally, it would work the same way the various professional leagues operate. Remember that Leach is a lawyer (or at least graduated law school, but don't believe he is a current member of the bar) and would have considered the legal aspects of the plan.

On 7/30/2022 at 1:13 PM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

This is a good idea but I have a hard time imagining many players taking the “student-athlete” route. In order to compete at the D1 level you have to believe that you’re the best, and the nfl will be lucky to have you someday. A better way might be that everyone signs under the “student-athlete” contract, but the second you enter the portal and/or sign an nil deal, you declare yourself a professional and the new rules apply to you. 

I don't believe this is true. First, most D1 recruits know the odds are stacked against them, when it comes to becoming a professional athlete (basically a 1 in 100 chance they will be drafted) and that, from what they've shown, they have near zero chance of making the NFL. Next, as mentioned, in many ways the choice may be getting money now or choosing the school they want to go to -- and even for people who think they have a serious NFL shot, they'll want to "maximize" their chances by choosing the college they attend, being coached by those who have consistently had players drafted.

I also suspect, rather quickly, you'll have agents for these "professional" athletes, to help them with NIL deals. Because of this, the students will be advised as to how much NIL money they can expect and, for many, that will push them to go the "student athlete" route rather than professional. I do believe school sponsored NIL deals (where every player shares equally in the money) will still be allowed for "student athletes," couched as the spending money that is included as part of their scholarship.

Of course, we'll never know as this has zero chance of happening.

On 7/31/2022 at 5:08 PM, Wyobraska said:

I know college is becoming more pro but I hate the idea of a kid not being able to choose from his options and pick the school he wants to attend.  Especially since some of these kids are really mentally ready to go far from home at 18.  

Say a kid from CA getting drafted by Rutgers and not being ready for that.  It is a big adjustment.

I would hope, in most of these cases, the parents, coaches, and other advisors, would make sure those students go the "student athlete" route, to ensure that player remains close to home and has the best chance for long term success.

On 8/1/2022 at 9:17 AM, BoiseStateOfMind said:

I disagree. The main draw of college sports - in other words, the only reason they're still in business and not obscure like other alternative/minor leagues - is the schools. It's the connection between fans and their alma maters that makes this model work. So based on their relative importance to the business, the schools should probably have the power.

I think that is what may happen to the P2 -- if the B1G and SEC aren't careful. I suspect they may alienate the fans of teams other than the P2, as well as the money many of these athletes will end up making, and it will become more of a pro minor league. That the average American (without ties to those 40-ish schools) will slowly lose interest.

No, it won't ever happen, but it's a good plan.  The devil is in the details.  I like the carrot of a graduation payout if a player remains with one school and graduates (exception for a HC change).  Steve Fairchild actually informally proposed this when he was coaching CSU.  That gives the student athletes the opportunity to get paid for their services, but puts a little sanity into the process.  Let's not forget that these student athletes already receive the opportunity to graduate without debt (which is significant), and to be able to attend without needing a job other than their sport.  It's also job security since the player can't be cut.

I do think at some point, especially in the P2, the NIL will go away in lieu of a direct salary from the school.  If a player agrees to that, then their rights are not being infringed.

On 8/1/2022 at 1:07 PM, happycamper said:

the only reason why college sports exists is because of the players.

Minor league sports have players. The Arena League has players. The XFL has players. Nobody watches any of those leagues because, as it turns out, simply having players isn't enough unless they're the absolute best in the world (which only the major established pro leagues have) or there's another compelling reason to care, like people's ties to their alma maters.

0mK6pGK.png

On 8/1/2022 at 10:47 PM, BoiseStateOfMind said:

Minor league sports have players. The Arena League has players. The XFL has players. Nobody watches any of those leagues because, as it turns out, simply having players isn't enough unless they're the absolute best in the world (which only the major established pro leagues have) or there's another compelling reason to care, like people's ties to their alma maters.

Okay? and again, if it is the institutions that matter, then the players being able to move around like crazy and benefit off of their own image doesn't matter lmfao. 

If the institutions are the only ones that matter, then there is no need to have draconian restrictions on players :lol: your own argument argues against your own argument lmao

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 8/2/2022 at 10:23 AM, happycamper said:

Okay? and again, if it is the institutions that matter, then the players being able to move around like crazy and benefit off of their own image doesn't matter lmfao. 

If the institutions are the only ones that matter, then there is no need to have draconian restrictions on players :lol: your own argument argues against your own argument lmao

I don't mind college players making money as long as it's not completely out of control. I just don't agree that they should have "all the power" when the schools are the main draw.

0mK6pGK.png

On 8/2/2022 at 7:23 AM, happycamper said:

Regardless of the level of players you have, you have to have some level of roster stability to get anything done. 

kat.jpg

On 8/2/2022 at 11:14 PM, BoiseStateOfMind said:

I don't mind college players making money as long as it's not completely out of control. I just don't agree that they should have "all the power" when the schools are the main draw.

why is it out of control when the players are making money, but not the coaches, the administrators, the analysts, the support staff, and the contractors who build the multimillion dollar facilities?

On 8/3/2022 at 4:44 AM, Nevada Convert said:

Regardless of the level of players you have, you have to have some level of roster stability to get anything done. 

sure. and in an era when players can move, roster stability means... treating players well and developing them.

so it incentivizes universities to do a better job. good!

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

There are lots of creative ideas being throw around here which is fun I suppose but, while it's nice and just that the student athletes will be allowed to earn money, NIL is just one more step towards the end of college sports as we know it. 

Everyone here is thinking only in terms of the football or basketball players but NIL isn't limited to only those who play those two sports.

There is no control over the entire situation and this will create all kinds of opportunities for corruption.  

The only way control can possibly be attained is if the legislature gets involved.  At this point that seems very unlikely.

On 8/3/2022 at 6:48 AM, happycamper said:

why is it out of control when the players are making money, but not the coaches, the administrators, the analysts, the support staff, and the contractors who build the multimillion dollar facilities?

sure. and in an era when players can move, roster stability means... treating players well and developing them.

so it incentivizes universities to do a better job. good!

That’s cool that you think it’s as simple as that. I’m happy for you. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. 

kat.jpg