Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reverend

Boise State puts a full court press on Leon Rice.

IMO The best in game coach in the conference. Smart move. Boise now has a program.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

I have mixed emotions on Leon. He’s won twenty games about ten out of twelve years at Boise State, but has never won a game in the Dance. Personally I think he’s only average at best in the X’s and O’s department. He’s very good at motivating his players and providing consistency in performance. His recruiting until the last few years has not been the best. 

Football is priority number one at Boise State and basketball will always be the step child. As a season ticket holder I suppose I should be satisfied that he has generally done more with less. But .......... 

On 7/27/2022 at 6:59 PM, soupslam1 said:

I have mixed emotions on Leon. He’s won twenty games about ten out of twelve years at Boise State, but has never won a game in the Dance. Personally I think he’s only average at best in the X’s and O’s department. He’s very good at motivating his players and providing consistency in performance. His recruiting until the last few years has not been the best. 

Football is priority number one at Boise State and basketball will always be the step child. As a season ticket holder I suppose I should be satisfied that he has generally done more with less. But .......... 

You don't see what he does from an opponents perspective. He's a master at lengthening the clock. He has a high success rate on set plays after timeouts and he has a knack for getting his best players clean looks when they need them. He's highly underrated. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 7/27/2022 at 8:20 PM, Reverend said:

This is some good news for Boise State. Right?

And I thought we were getting a good deal on Penny. Penny made 2.33 million last season and will make 2.5 million next season (which is a good bit less than we were paying Tubby Smith at 2.9 million)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 7/27/2022 at 9:58 PM, Rosegreen said:

It’s embarrassing that UNLV has the 6-7th highest paid coach in the conference.

No one has stayed there long enough (at least in the last decade) to get many raises. 

Lets face it hiring a new coach is a crap shoot and you don’t want to pay too much until they’ve proven themselves. 

On 7/27/2022 at 6:20 PM, Reverend said:

This is some good news for Boise State. Right?

I can't believe Dutch isn't the highest paid Coach and Steve Alford is.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 7/27/2022 at 7:59 PM, soupslam1 said:

He has done a great job building theBroncos into a consistent winner in the MWC. I remember talking with Leon during that first year in the MWC when Boise was having a really tough go of it. Leon knew what difficulty he was up against.  He has done a good job upgrading the talent and hiring some very good assistants.

On 7/28/2022 at 9:06 AM, Swoll Cracker said:

He has done a great job building theBroncos into a consistent winner in the MWC. I remember talking with Leon during that first year in the MWC when Boise was having a really tough go of it. Leon knew what difficulty he was up against.  He has done a good job upgrading the talent and hiring some very good assistants.

He is really good at finding the young and up and coming assistant coaches.  Wyoming is benefiting now and San Jose probably had the best recruiter he ever had in Dave Woj (an ahole in some ways but great 'bad cop' to Leon's good cop routine when they were together). 

He's still getting less than half of the top paid coaches in the MWC and he belongs there too.   Our AD is doing a great job finding coins laying around but he's got so much more to do to keep the program where he and we want it.

On 7/28/2022 at 6:02 AM, ph90702 said:

Only $1 million per year!  Full court press! 🤣

And?

On 7/28/2022 at 8:06 AM, Swoll Cracker said:

UCSB benefited from Leon as well.  John Rillie was a solid assistant for us and Boise, and cashed in by getting his own head coaching job in the NBL.

On 7/27/2022 at 6:59 PM, soupslam1 said:

Developing an NBA 1st round pick will help with that.  So will the kind of season like Boise had this past year.  And the transfer portal (Akot)

Boise State basketball will always be an afterthought, I guess. Rice is a good guy by all accounts, but his resume is way too thin over the last 12 years to warrant yet another long-term contract extension before he's won anything in March.

0-8 should be a lot more embarrassing and motivating for this program than it appears to be. It just doesn't seem like there's any sense of urgency to finally win a tournament game.

0mK6pGK.png