Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Good Article on Wyoming Transfers

On 7/20/2022 at 8:22 AM, Rebels18 said:

I agree other than the fact that 70s-90s UNLV BASKETBALL WAS THE GOLDEN AGE OF THE SPORT AND UNLV WAS AT THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN AS ONE OF THE MOST ICONIC PROGRAMS OF ALL MUTHAFUGGIN TIME DUDE!

The program that came up one nattie short of the 2 Wyoming basketball has hanging in our arena? Wyoming basketball fans don't converse with peasants that only have one nattie unless we're first addressed as sir.

On 7/21/2022 at 9:48 AM, WYO1016 said:

Just putting together the depth chart is fun!

1. Anderson/Reynolds/Roberson
  2. DuSell/Foster
  3. Maldonado/Wenzel/Kyman
  4. Agbonkpolo/Oden/Thompson
  5. Ike/Barnhart/Powell

RS: Talich

Reynolds being able to sit behind a true point and learn from him is going to be huge. It's going to be nice to have point guards bringing the ball up this year. Most of Maldonado's turnovers came when he was the primary ball handler.

Our SF position is crazy deep.

Barnhart is probably more of a 4, but he's 7 feet tall, so I put him at the 5.

Agbonkpolo and Powell are going to bring some much-needed true post depth.

I like what you've done there but I make a few minor changes.

1. Roberson isn't going to get minutes at the point. I think we'll still see Maldo on the point some, when the lack of pressure lets him trigger the offense or clear out a side. Anderson is going to handle the rock most of the time. When neither of them have the point, Noah Reynolds is going to have it. Noah is one of the best shooters on the team. He'll be damn hard to keep off the court, although I think he'll get more minutes at the 2.

2. I assume Foster isn't going to be healthy until he proves me otherwise. Last year he had Covid, mono, a high ankle sprain.....The list goes on and on. I'm not going to jinx his injury recovery by predicting he's going to be healthy. I assume he's out for now. I hope I'm wrong. I think the staff will go bigger, so I see the 2 rotation between Dusell, Wenzel, Reynolds, and Jake Kyman.

3. I think you nailed the small forward rotation.

4. Barnhart is trying to make this rotation, not back up center. 

5. Caden Powell will lock down the back-up center minutes at some point this season. Our staff has an impressive history of getting major contributions from true freshmen. Caden's length and athleticism makes him an ideal guy to give Ike competition. 

Wyoming is one of the longest teams in America with 7 guys 6'7" and above. In addition, Wyoming has 9 upper classmen, so most of that length is pretty damn strong/experienced as well.

My rotation:

1. PG: Anderson/Maldo/Reynolds

2. SG: Dusell, Wenzel, Reynolds, Kyman

3. SF: Maldo, Wenzel, Kyman

4 PF: Akbonkpolo, Oden, Thompson, Barnhart

5. C: Ike/Powell/Thompson

On 7/21/2022 at 11:38 AM, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

I like what you've done there but I make a few minor changes.

1. Roberson isn't going to get minutes at the point. I think we'll still see Maldo on the point some, when the lack of pressure lets him trigger the offense or clear out a side. Anderson is going to handle the rock most of the time. When neither of them have the point, Noah Reynolds is going to have it. Noah is one of the best shooters on the team. He'll be damn hard to keep off the court, although I think he'll get more minutes at the 2.

2. I assume Foster isn't going to be healthy until he proves me otherwise. Last year he had Covid, mono, a high ankle sprain.....The list goes on and on. I'm not going to jinx his injury recovery by predicting he's going to be healthy. I assume he's out for now. I hope I'm wrong. I think the staff will go bigger, so I see the 2 rotation between Dusell, Wenzel, Reynolds, and Jake Kyman.

3. I think you nailed the small forward rotation.

4. Barnhart is trying to make this rotation, not back up center. 

5. Caden Powell will lock down the back-up center minutes at some point this season. Our staff has an impressive history of getting major contributions from true freshmen. Caden's length and athleticism makes him an ideal guy to give Ike competition. 

Wyoming is one of the longest teams in America with 7 guys 6'7" and above. In addition, Wyoming has 9 upper classmen, so most of that length is pretty damn strong/experienced as well.

My rotation:

1. PG: Anderson/Maldo/Reynolds

2. SG: Dusell, Wenzel, Reynolds, Kyman

3. SF: Maldo, Wenzel, Kyman

4 PF: Akbonkpolo, Oden, Thompson, Barnhart

5. C: Ike/Powell/Thompson

Some great additions and incredible depth. Last years minutes split up something like this:

Ike -32

Maldonado - 37

Jeffries -37

Oden - 27

DuSell - 28

Wenzel - 23

That leaves 16 minutes plus Jeffries 37. Which means the newcomers have 53 minutes among them or they’re taking minutes from the 6 important holdovers.. 

How do you see it breaking down?

On 7/21/2022 at 7:21 AM, SDSUfan said:

Stop pandering. No he isn't. He's a good coach. We have many good coaches in this conference now. 

I don't pander.  

It's just, like, an opinion man.  I would take Linder over any other coach in the MWC.  Boise fans know how good Linder is from his time here.  We were the first ones saying what a home run hire it was, we were even more optimistic about the hire than the Wyoming fans here.  He is attracting talent, and keeping talent, in one of the hardest places to do so.  He knows how to utilize that talent to it's maximum potential.  He is going to have his pick of P6 teams in the near future.  In the meantime he is laying a rock solid foundation Wyoming can build on after he is gone.  

On 7/21/2022 at 5:16 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I don't pander.  

It's just, like, an opinion man.  I would take Linder over any other coach in the MWC.  Boise fans know how good Linder is from his time here.  We were the first ones saying what a home run hire it was, we were even more optimistic about the hire than the Wyoming fans here.  He is attracting talent, and keeping talent, in one of the hardest places to do so.  He knows how to utilize that talent to it's maximum potential.  He is going to have his pick of P6 teams in the near future.  In the meantime he is laying a rock solid foundation Wyoming can build on after he is gone.  

Unfortunately, with the transfer portal I feel like when coaches leave, especially in basketball, it will be tough to keep what a coach has built, but I really hope an assistant or someone could keep it going. 

On 7/21/2022 at 5:25 PM, Wyobraska said:

Unfortunately, with the transfer portal I feel like when coaches leave, especially in basketball, it will be tough to keep what a coach has built, but I really hope an assistant or someone could keep it going. 

I think Linder will show before he leaves that Wyoming can be a yearly contender for the NCAAT with the right leadership and sales approach to recruits.  I like his "you can make the next jump here" recruiting tactic he used to bring in these transfers.  Brilliant.  How to turn your biggest weakness into a selling a point.  No outside noise, no distractions, one of the best training facilities in the world.  Just you and improving your game.  That's it.  He made being in freaking Laramie a selling point.  

On 7/21/2022 at 4:38 PM, Swoll Cracker said:

Some great additions and incredible depth. Last years minutes split up something like this:

Ike -32

Maldonado - 37

Jeffries -37

Oden - 27

DuSell - 28

Wenzel - 23

That leaves 16 minutes plus Jeffries 37. Which means the newcomers have 53 minutes among them or they’re taking minutes from the 6 important holdovers.. 

I think it will only help us having Ike and Maldonado play less minutes.

On 7/29/2022 at 4:33 PM, misplacedcowboy said:

Trouble in Laradise?

Ethan Anderson isn't with the team on the current trip to Greece. Could be for anything... Covid, passport, team rules. Figure if he was off the team, we would've heard something.

I think he’s been working out in Laramie.

On 7/29/2022 at 4:49 PM, roughrider said:

Mmm, hmmm.   Bit early for the banty roosters to be out crowing isn't it?

Possibly, yes, but I need that (and to believe that) with the upcoming ball stomping and pants pissing we are about to display on the gridiron.

On 7/19/2022 at 9:53 PM, gold-n-brown said:

Not necessarily.   Great team again next year and the buy out drops a bunch.  Plus he seems to really like Laramie. Fits his lifestyle.

The superior lifestyle, you mean. Laradise.  He's not going anywhere anytime soon.

On 7/21/2022 at 4:38 PM, Swoll Cracker said:

Ike -32

Maldonado - 37

Jeffries -37

Oden - 27

DuSell - 28

Wenzel - 23

Too many variables to predict that right now. Its easier to predict things based on last season.

1. We beat 4 quad 1 or 2 teams in a row to make the top 25. Then our short bench and high usage rate burned the legs out from under Ike and Maldo. We struggled down the stretch and in the post season. Ike and Maldos usage rate and minutes will come down to keep them fresh.

2. Hunter Thompson is a liability defensively. Caden Powell is not. I think we'll see Thompson finally get to play his strongest roll as a stretch 4. Powell will be the back up center at some point. I think Thompson might start the season as the back up center but as soon as Caden gets up to speed, that will likely change.

3. Nate Barnhart is 7'1" and can shoot the three. Hes going to be a match-up nightmare if he sticks with it and keeps getting stronger. I think he's still too skinny to break into the rotation against an abundance of experienced guys with length. Hopefully he doesn't quit and transfer because when Thompson leaves, he's the likely stretch 4. I dont think he'll play much this year.

4. Anyone expecting Maldo to stop playing the point forward is going to be disappointed.  Hes too big of a weapon to stop using him. Now with Ethan we can be selective and let Ethan handle the rock under pressure. Ethan also brings something we didn't have last year: the ability to cover quick shifty guards. 

5. Max can cover the 2, 3, 4, and 5. That luxury will allow us to have Maldo at the point, Wenzel at the 2, Max at the 3, J.O. at the 4, and Ike down low. We'll be able to suffocate teams without length.

6. Noah Reynolds will see minutes. He's too good of a shooter to sit the bench under Linder. The same can be said for Kenny Foster. I assume he's injured but if he gets healthy he's the best shooter on the team.

We'll see how it all plays out, but we're legit 10/12 deep and our opponents strengths/weaknesses will determine who plays that night.

On 8/12/2022 at 12:47 PM, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

Kenny Foster. I assume he's injured but if he gets healthy he's the best shooter on the team.

I'll just assume Kenny Foster is always injured. It's the safest bet.

On 7/29/2022 at 4:33 PM, misplacedcowboy said:

Trouble in Laradise?

Ethan Anderson isn't with the team on the current trip to Greece. Could be for anything... Covid, passport, team rules. Figure if he was off the team, we would've heard something.

No trouble in Laradise. Ethan didn't make the trip because of a mix-up with his passport. I guess it arrived at the mailroom and got returned. By the time it made it back to Laramie it was too late.