Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super six

Boise St has zero Leverage

It really is tough to beat Idaho if you are into the outdoors like I am. CA used to be great 40 years ago when I was a kid but population growth, misguided policies regarding water and other resources, and legislative attacks on hunting, fishing, and outdoor activities have really hurt the ability of Californians to enjoy those activities in the state.  The diversity of hunting and fishing opportunities in CA is unrivaled anywhere in the world but they’ve been so incredibly mismanaged that now very few (if any, in many instances) can enjoy them.

The good (and bad) thing about Idaho is the plethora of state and federal land.  Bad because Idaho can’t obtain property taxes on roughly 50%+ of its land which severely crimps the state and local government’s ability to raise revenue to pay for services to the same extent that other states can.  It’s obviously good because anyone can get “lost” in the bitterroot-Selway and see far more wild animals than humans.

But I fear what has happened in CA over the past half century is happening to Idaho now.  One of my best friends growing up moved to Eagle in 1999 and has lived there since.  He and his wife want to move out to Missoula, Bozeman, CDA, or somewhere similar because Boise has changed for the worse given the influx of people.  But those other places have faced the same issues.  So they are sticking in Boise until their kids are grown and then make a move somewhere else.

Still, relative to CA, Idaho is an outdoor paradise that has better hunting with less pressure for almost every species save for pigs maybe.  The fishing, given comparable species, is better and more unmollested in Idaho and the rivers are far less congested than those of CA.

If someone asked me if I’d rather vacation in the outdoors in CA or ID, I’d pick ID ten times out of ten.  Far fewer people there, less trash, and better opportunities for whatever it is you want to do.  

On 7/20/2022 at 3:35 PM, roughrider said:

SD is simply Arizona's shortest travel distance to gtfo out of the desert heat in summer.   I pity natives there. 

I recall Az Politicians buying billboard space and tv time in SoCal.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Nice troll job by the original poster. Nonetheless, it is likely true that Boise does not get elevated in the next round of expansion. They simply do not have much to offer over the long term, and their football play has been "high average" as of late, when looking in a national context. 

On 7/20/2022 at 5:35 PM, roughrider said:

SD is simply Arizona's shortest travel distance to gtfo out of the desert heat in summer.   I pity natives there. 

200 miles separates one of the worst places on Earth for human habitation from the best place on Earth. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Generally, no place, city, state, county remains static. They either grow or shrink. Both present problems to be managed. All in all it is far preferable to have to manage the issues associated with growth than it is to manage the decay inherent in contraction.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 7/20/2022 at 4:14 PM, Spaztecs said:

As a kid growing up in Sandy Eggo my favorite bumper sticker was,

"Tourists go home. But, leave your daughters !"

Idaho may want to adopt a Montana strategy:

Amazon.com: Get Lost in Montana MT State Decal Sticker Decal Window Bumper  Sticker Vinyl 5" : Automotive

There's a reason "In Montana" is in a much smaller font and in parentheses! 

On 7/20/2022 at 9:04 PM, Dogday63 said:

I'm about 20 miles north of the city of SLO and if I decide to retire in California I will stay where I am. But my wife is originally from Idaho and her family is still there, so moving there is always a possibility. I guess I may end up being one of "those Californians". I will never get used to or take for granted the beauty of Idaho, you guys really have it made. 

If you haven't seen this documentary, check it out. Much of the movie is about how Idaho is the epicenter for whitewater. 

On 7/21/2022 at 8:34 AM, SDSUfan said:

Generally, no place, city, state, county remains static. They either grow or shrink. Both present problems to be managed. All in all it is far preferable to have to manage the issues associated with growth than it is to manage the decay inherent in contraction.

I try and tell all the people that betch about the growth in Boise/Idaho. You're either progressing or regressing. If your town is stagnant, it's slowly dying. You just have to be smart with the growth. Boise has done pretty good with that, so far. Property values and rents being the biggest displacement issue for locals. Low wages have been an issue, but now it's one the the fastest increasing in the country, even if they still have a ways to go. But crime, traffic, and the cleanliness of the city are still very low.

On 7/21/2022 at 6:35 PM, kingpotato said:

I try and tell all the people that betch about the growth in Boise/Idaho. You're either progressing or regressing. If your town is stagnant, it's slowly dying. You just have to be smart with the growth. Boise has done pretty good with that, so far. Property values and rents being the biggest displacement issue for locals. Low wages have been an issue, but now it's one the the fastest increasing in the country, even if they still have a ways to go. But crime, traffic, and the cleanliness of the city are still very low.

I went to Boise for the 2018 Fresno football game. It was very obvious that was a city of growth at that time and I even almost moved (was considering a job in 2020 but ultimately decided against it).  I know the wave of people was already starting in 2018 but it was obvious it was going to explode even more. The one thing I regret about not taking that job was I would have got in on part of the Boise housing boom. In an alternate universe where I did end up in Boise I would have walked thousands of miles on the greenbelt/Riverwalk (favorite part of Boise in my few days there). Heck I went about 10 miles on it after the game (was slightly sad by the loss and it took me a bit to figure out I was going the wrong way and turn around lol). 

I ended up going for Tucson instead. Yep I bought it near the top of the housing market (I mean it has to have a downturn soon) but I 100% believe Tucson, long term, will be an area of growth. It does have a high murder rate and other problems however I think gentrification (not trying to debate if that is good or bad) will address that over time. 

I knew I had to escape California but I was pretty picky with both weather (I mean Boise was the "coldest" climate I was willing to move to) and trying to take no more than a 30% pay cut (I was basically living in one of the most expensive areas so pretty much anything equaled a 30% pay cut. Boise would have been 30% and Tucson ended up being 25%)  . So there really wasn't too many cities on my list.  

On 7/21/2022 at 7:35 PM, kingpotato said:

Boise's cleanliness level is low?

On 7/22/2022 at 3:15 PM, Pelado said:

Boise's cleanliness level is low?

I was struggling with how to phrase that and my red light turned green. I figured people could figure it out. Maybe I was wrong about that.

On 7/21/2022 at 8:29 AM, SDSUfan said:

200 miles separates one of the worst places on Earth for human habitation from the best place on Earth. 

Actually less. El Centro and Brawley are far worse than Phoenix

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 7/22/2022 at 4:47 PM, kingpotato said:

I was struggling with how to phrase that and my red light turned green. I figured people could figure it out. Maybe I was wrong about that.

How about the following:

But crime and traffic are still low and the cleanliness of the city is high.

On 7/25/2022 at 5:41 PM, Pelado said:

How about the following:

But crime and traffic are still low and the cleanliness of the city is high.

Sooooo... you're saying you knew what I was getting at? I feel like that shoulda been enough. But, do you feel better now? There, their, they're, it'll be alright.

On 7/21/2022 at 7:34 PM, USU78 said:

https://www.oars.com/blog/whats-the-best-state-for-whitewater-rafting/

These guys disagree. You're 3rd; we're 5th.

Me? I don't care.

complete joke.  When it comes to elite white water no state, even Alaska, touches Idaho.  So many documentaries touching on it.  The best in the world train here, we hold competitions for the best in the world.  When you combine size and remoteness and opportunity neither CO or CA even come close.

On 7/25/2022 at 9:37 PM, IanforHeisman said:

Neither Boise or SDSU is getting an invite.  

Maybe, but SDSU is going to get lots of ancillary revenue from its stadium regardless.

Home to NWSL San Diego Wave who are looking to sell the place out in September.

On 7/25/2022 at 10:54 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

complete joke.  When it comes to elite white water no state, even Alaska, touches Idaho.  So many documentaries touching on it.  The best in the world train here, we hold competitions for the best in the world.  When you combine size and remoteness and opportunity neither CO or CA even come close.

When I think of Idaho, I don't really think about East Idaho, which is so much like Cache County, all the way up past Rexburg. I think of the road from Garland to Snowville to Twin to Boazy, jackrabbits and lava rock, coyotes and rattlesnakes. Water never really enters into it. I'm sure it's there somewhere. Just never noticed it.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.