Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

MWC Announces Schedule Through 2025

On 7/14/2022 at 8:10 PM, HawaiiMongoose said:

UH's oldest rivals are SJSU and Fresno State.  While having SDSU and UNLV as our guaranteed opponents is the next best thing, UH fans will definitely miss annual matchups with the Spartans and Bulldogs.

I thought for sure your AD would fight for the Pinalo Tilt as your guaranteed rival.

:foottap:

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 7/14/2022 at 9:41 PM, wyo 1 said:

The trophy is determined on if you get out of the game with healthy knees. Chop blocking fools.

Ah, the upright lineman without crutches award 

Americans Mayor

On 7/15/2022 at 8:54 AM, sactowndog said:

I tweaked it a bit but largely agree.   The schedule should have been the following.   This whole thing reeks of front range shenanigans.  +++++ those guys.  Too damn bad they didn’t go and +++++ up the AAC. 

I do think this "subcommittee" had to have been made up of the front range schools and possibly BSU, the preservation of the front range rivalries and the paved path of least resistance for the Donks sort of spells that out.

I honestly don't have a problem with having BSU and SDSU as our guaranteed games if the thought process was to showcase top programs against one another or for TV arrangements, etc. What I do have a problem with is that the other two involved don't have to face one another (or Fresno for that matter) which makes this entire thing very slanted. The whole scheduling release is littered with this statement of having the top 2 teams meet up but it was just a way to give a helping hand to their two darlings in BSU and SDSU. It obviously won't guarantee that they make it to the championship but it certainly helps remove some of their traditional stumbling blocks that used to be annual match ups within the former divisions.

On 7/15/2022 at 1:30 PM, TrueAg said:

Hey, leave facts like more games and a difference of 5 decades out of this. BTW, who would actually WANT AFA as their guaranteed game? I would be pissed about that arrangement. I look forward to finally having a 1 year break from them, finally a year without the unique game prep and worrying about which D-lineman won't make it past that game.

The Aztecs don't seem to mind playing the Academy.

Nine straight Baybeee !

Americans Mayor

On 7/15/2022 at 8:10 AM, EvilPoke said:

Wyoming fans consider AFA a bigger rival than Utah State.

1. CSU

2. AFA

3. USU

4. UNM

5. BOISE

6. SDSU

7. Fresno

8. UNLV

9. Hawaii

10. Nevada

11. SJSU

You guys certainly know the actual facts about all that better than me, so I'll happily defer.  From the outside looking in, it just seems like it's not that big of a deal (other than the Howdy Doody incident, which I loved), so consider me better informed.

On 7/15/2022 at 1:03 PM, TrueAg said:

I do think this "subcommittee" had to have been made up of the front range schools and possibly BSU, the preservation of the front range rivalries and the paved path of least resistance for the Donks sort of spells that out.

I honestly don't have a problem with having BSU and SDSU as our guaranteed games if the thought process was to showcase top programs against one another or for TV arrangements, etc. What I do have a problem with is that the other two involved don't have to face one another (or Fresno for that matter) which makes this entire thing very slanted. The whole scheduling release is littered with this statement of having the top 2 teams meet up but it was just a way to give a helping hand to their two darlings in BSU and SDSU. It obviously won't guarantee that they make it to the championship but it certainly helps remove some of their traditional stumbling blocks that used to be annual match ups within the former divisions.

Yeah 24 is going to be comparatively easy for Fresno:

C-State

Hawaii

SDSU

SJSU

@AirForce

@Nevada

@New Mexico

@UNLV

toughest games minus Air Force at home.   SDSU gets to play you and us on the road.

meanwhile Boise has..

C State

Nevada 

UNLV

Utah State

@Hawaii

@Lobos

@SJSU

@Wyoming   

if I am SDSU I’m pissed to draw you guys.  Not a rival and a tough game every year.  

On 7/15/2022 at 12:30 PM, TrueAg said:

Hey, leave facts like more games and a difference of 5 decades out of this. BTW, who would actually WANT AFA as their guaranteed game? I would be pissed about that arrangement. I look forward to finally having a 1 year break from them, finally a year without the unique game prep and worrying about which D-lineman won't make it past that game.

I have a friend that played at Utah State in the late 60’s.  He still talks about going to Wyoming and the hostile environment where they couldn’t take their helmets off.   

The protected games feels so weirdly done. The only one without a real “rivalry” history besides playing each other a lot in the Cali schools is SDSU for Hawai. Fresno was the “screwdriver incident”, SJSU was the close games that made or broke the season(same with UNLV) along with the shared coach history in Tomey, whereas SDSU was the only one of the bunch without that real rivalry feeling besides the Hawaii-Cali connection. Should have done 3 protected of the former divisions at least

On 7/15/2022 at 8:34 AM, EvilPoke said:

You know it's bad when the 'winning' fans (CSU, WYO, AFA) think the schedule is crap, too. 

They needed 3 guaranteed games. 

Add: wyo-usu, UNM-afa, etc.

To be honest, I don't get the 'winning' part.  We've all played each other annually for a very, very long time.  There was nothing gained.

On 7/16/2022 at 5:35 PM, Headbutt said:

To be honest, I don't get the 'winning' part.  We've all played each other annually for a very, very long time.  There was nothing gained.

You won by keeping your core rivalries intact. As has been discussed any old, historic, and natural rivalries went the way of the DoDo.

I don't know how they came up with this shit, but it seems like the Lobos and Aztecs got severed from their historic and natural rivals.

Americans Mayor

Yeah, I get that.  Some folks lost, none really gained.  I said from day 1 that we were better off just keeping the divisional format.  It wasn't broken.

Year in and year out, there are three solid programs in the MWC: Boise, SDSU and Fresno. By not scheduling them against each other, the committee is trying to improve their W-L til the end of the year. I'm not a fan, but I understand the concept. It's all about Moneyball now.

On 7/15/2022 at 9:20 PM, ShoichiKUN808 said:

The protected games feels so weirdly done. The only one without a real “rivalry” history besides playing each other a lot in the Cali schools is SDSU for Hawai. Fresno was the “screwdriver incident”, SJSU was the close games that made or broke the season(same with UNLV) along with the shared coach history in Tomey, whereas SDSU was the only one of the bunch without that real rivalry feeling besides the Hawaii-Cali connection. Should have done 3 protected of the former divisions at least

The current model sucks rocks and should be scrapped today

Here's how I have it:

SJSU - Fresno and Nevada

Fresno - SJSU and Hawaii

Hawaii - Fresno and SDSU

SDSU - Hawaii and UNLV

UNLV - Nevada and SDSU

Nevada - UNLV and SJSU

Boise - USU and UNM Sorry

USU - Boise and UNM

UNM - Boise and USU

CSU - AFA and Wyoming

Wyoming - AFA and CSU

AFA - CSU and Wyoming

But for the record, this whole division-less scheduling is crap. I like that a 7-5 team can squeak into the conference final. It gives more teams something to play for. And if they upset the other team, that's called sports. That's why we watch. I like rooting for the team from my division. I don't want to see two teams from the mountain division playing in the final. Why would I watch that? That's like watching two Eastern Conference teams in the NBA finals. Regional pride matters!

And above all, I want to play teams from the West division every year. I don't care about teams from the Mountain, except Boise. Fans want to see regional teams they are used to. Put back the divisions and scrap this whole division-less plan. The best team will still make the championship game. If they can't pull it off, then they deserve to lose out on NY6.

On 7/16/2022 at 9:35 PM, southfresno said:

But for the record, this whole division-less scheduling is crap. I like that a 7-5 team can squeak into the conference final. It gives more teams something to play for. And if they upset the other team, that's called sports. That's why we watch. I like rooting for the team from my division. I don't want to see two teams from the mountain division playing in the final. Why would I watch that? That's like watching two Eastern Conference teams in the NBA finals. Regional pride matters!

And above all, I want to play teams from the West division every year. I don't care about teams from the Mountain, except Boise. Fans want to see regional teams they are used to. Put back the divisions and scrap this whole division-less plan. The best team will still make the championship game. If they can't pull it off, then they deserve to lose out on NY6.

Agreed. It's pretty rare that the best team in the league has not been a part of the championship game. In fact, it usually is the top two teams that face off anyway so I'm not sure what this new scheduling arrangement is supposed to better accomplish? If they really want to protect the top team from getting knocked off and giving them a better chance at the NY6 bowl then they should just do away with the conference championship game entirely and crown the team with the best record of this single pool at the end of the regular season as the conference champion. Otherwise, I don't think this setup will yield any different results than what we have seen over the past 10 years under this same MWC membership.

The top 5 teams will still be the top 5 teams and 95% of the time the champion will come from this set of schools.

In order of winning % under current membership (9 seasons) / # bowl appearances in parenthesis

1. BSU - (8)
  2. SDSU - (8)
  3. USU - (7)
  4. AFA - (5)
  5. Fresno St. - (5)

On 7/15/2022 at 1:30 PM, TrueAg said:

Not me!  Nice +++++ing ethics flyboy!

On 7/21/2022 at 9:46 AM, TrueAg said:

Agreed. It's pretty rare that the best team in the league has not been a part of the championship game. In fact, it usually is the top two teams that face off anyway so I'm not sure what this new scheduling arrangement is supposed to better accomplish? If they really want to protect the top team from getting knocked off and giving them a better chance at the NY6 bowl then they should just do away with the conference championship game entirely and crown the team with the best record of this single pool at the end of the regular season as the conference champion. Otherwise, I don't think this setup will yield any different results than what we have seen over the past 10 years under this same MWC membership.

The top 5 teams will still be the top 5 teams and 95% of the time the champion will come from this set of schools.

In order of winning % under current membership (9 seasons) / # bowl appearances in parenthesis

1. BSU - (8)
  2. SDSU - (8)
  3. USU - (7)
  4. AFA - (5)
  5. Fresno St. - (5)

Is that Conf W/L % or total ?

I crunched the numbers last spring and posted a thread as well.

Total Winning % Including OOC, CCG and Bowls since 2012:

Boise - .754

SDSU - .696

The Other FSU - .611

AFA - .576

USU - .571

UNR - .512

Conference win% including CCG

Boise - .807

SDSU - .732

USU - .619

FSU - .585

AFA - .558 they had some suckey seasons

UNR - .519

CCG Appearances

Boise 5

Fresno 4

SUDS 3

USU 2

AFA, UH, Wy 1

The new method would have impacted the

2014 CCG, (6-2 CSU over 5-3 Fresno)

2016  6-2 Boise over SDSU 6-2 because of tie-breakers.

2019 7-1 AFA over 5-3 Hawaii

Americans Mayor

On 7/22/2022 at 7:20 AM, Iam4wyo said:

Not me!  Nice +++++ing ethics flyboy!

I, as a fan enjoy playing AFA. They are usually close one score affairs.

It beats whipping New Mexicos arse every year

Americans Mayor

On 7/22/2022 at 9:16 AM, Spaztecs said:

I, as a fan enjoy playing AFA. They are usually close one score affairs.

It beats whipping New Mexicos arse every year

I may have agreed again, but WYO is very famous for pissing down our legs when playing New Mexico...

It is like the whole team eats super spicy rotten green chile the night before the game, and shit-storms the field the next day.  Ugh.