Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Britney Griner

On 7/9/2022 at 11:25 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If you are celebrating an American being locked up by Russia because she did not respect the pretty song, that makes you a bad guy.

If you’re more worried about Americans that never locked her up chuckling because she trashed them, rather than the Russians that are stealing her life away, sit down. For the good of everyone, sit this one out.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 7/9/2022 at 12:29 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

If you’re more worried about Americans that never locked her up chuckling because she trashed them, rather than the Russians that are stealing her life away, sit down. For the good of everyone, sit this one out.

How are you pulling that out of your ass?  That is impressive. 

No, rednecks celebrating her incarceration are disgusting excuses for Americans.

That is not a value statement on Russia, or Russians.  

On 7/9/2022 at 1:31 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

No, rednecks celebrating her incarceration are disgusting excuses for Americans.

agreed

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 7/9/2022 at 12:12 PM, UofMTigers said:

why? famous American, gay, and black...it's like a prisoner swap trifecta for Russia. Why would Russia care about the charge when they have a 99+% conviction rate?

Don’t forget she’s also a woman. My question is, this is hardly the first time that someone has entered Russia that fit the bill of what you described.. so why go after her unless you gave them a reason to?

I also think those reasons you mentioned are why she’s not already languishing in a gulag or some other forced labor camp in the middle of nowhere.

The Russians aren’t lying, she fessed up to bringing the cannabis oil in. Unfortunately for her she was naive about Russian laws and their legal system. 

I think a lot of Americans are the same way. They go into a foreign country, violate what may seem like a minor law, and think they’re going to get a slap on the wrist like they would here. 

News flash, when you enter a foreign country be careful what you do. I know the foreign countries Ive been in I always have a nervous feeling I’m going to violate some obscure law and never come home again. Probably a result of watching that movie Midnight Express and others like it. 

On 7/9/2022 at 1:36 PM, soupslam1 said:

The Russians aren’t lying, she fessed up to bringing the cannabis oil in. 

or she pleaded guilty because Russia wouldn't consider a swap until the case was resolved and with their conviction rate she might as well just plea out anyway as it would lead to the same result.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 7/9/2022 at 12:40 PM, UofMTigers said:

or she pleaded guilty because Russia wouldn't consider a swap until the case was resolved and with their conviction rate she might as well just plea out anyway as it would lead to the same result.

Nah, she’s freely admitted to friends and her wife she brought the cannabis oil in. She’s pleading guilty to speed the trial up and hopefully get a reduced sentence. Being a star athlete probably doesn’t help. 

On 7/9/2022 at 11:31 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You’re right, it’s not a value statement on Russia or Russians. You’ve found the real bad guys in the situation and it isn’t the people locking an American in prison for smoking weed. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 7/9/2022 at 11:36 AM, soupslam1 said:

The Russians aren’t lying, she fessed up to bringing the cannabis oil in. Unfortunately for her she was naive about Russian laws and their legal system. 

I think a lot of Americans are the same way. They go into a foreign country, violate minor laws and think they’re going to get a slap on the wrist like they would here. 

News flash, when you enter a foreign country be careful what you do. I know the foreign countries Ive been in I always have a nervous feeling I’m going to violate some obscure law and never come home again. Probably a result of watching that movie Midnight Express.

A week or so ago there was a thread where two posters were discussing bringing weed into the Dominican Republic because the customs agents were chill. I've never been to the DR but hell to the no. That risk reward ratio is way out of whack.

On 7/9/2022 at 1:42 PM, soupslam1 said:

Nah, she’s freely admitted to friends and her wife she brought the cannabis oil in. She’s pleading guilty to speed the trial up and hopefully get a reduced sentence. Being a star athlete probably doesn’t help. 

oh well...we don't agree and that's OK (a notion America lacks these day)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 7/9/2022 at 12:43 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

You’re right, it’s not a value statement on Russia or Russians. You’ve found the real bad guys in the situation and it isn’t the people locking an American in prison for smoking weed. 

If only there were threads where I might have made hundreds or thousands of posts about Russians.  Know of any?  

Yes, those celebrating this here in America are indeed real bad guys.  That there seems to be countless people taking joy, downright giddy, about this because they disagreed with her speech is very alarming, very concerning, very bad, and those are real bad guys. Yes, real bad guys.  Real bad.

That is still no value statement on Russia, or Russians. "Russians are bad" is not exactly a hot take here lately but well done for pointing that out.  Valuable insight, really.  

On 7/9/2022 at 1:31 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Where are the people celebrating her incarceration? I have seen people with the sentiment that she made her own bed and are perhaps balking at the suggestion that she should be above the law and that the government should go to great lengths to secure her release simply because she's famous/an athlete/gay/black/or a woman, but I haven't seen anyone celebrating it.....and I haven't seen any reactions that would indicate that they were a redneck....or was that just for effect?

On 7/9/2022 at 12:48 PM, Slapdad said:

Where are the people celebrating her incarceration? I have seen people with the sentiment that she made her own bed and are perhaps balking at the suggestion that she should be above the law and that the government should go to great lengths to secure her release simply because she's famous/an athlete/gay/black/or a woman, but I haven't seen anyone celebrating it.....and I haven't seen any reactions that would indicate that they were a redneck....or was that just for effect?

Social media, comment sections, anywhere you care to look.  That you have not seen it, just means you have not cared to look.  

On 7/9/2022 at 12:46 PM, toonkee said:

A week or so ago there was a thread where two posters were discussing bringing weed into the Dominican Republic because the customs agents were chill. I've never been to the DR but hell to the no. That risk reward ratio is way out of whack.

Dumb thing to do. Some Americans are so blasé about what might happen to them in a foreign country if they violate the law. 

On 7/9/2022 at 12:55 PM, grandjean87 said:

Dicks gunna be pricks and vice versa.

I mean, read ANY fox news comment section on the situation.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/brittney-griner-stuck-russia-biden-lacks-gravitas-trump-securing-releases-sexton

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/biden-reassures-brittney-griner-wife-russia

Rampant racism, claims she is actually a man, and downright joy at her incarceration.

I don't like to see mommy and daddy fighting.

We all agree Russians are asshoe.

We all agree only asshoe believes Griner deserves the Russian legal system on account of not standing for the flag.

Nobody has to choose between the two.

On 7/9/2022 at 11:55 AM, soupslam1 said:

Dumb thing to do. Some Americans are so blasé about what might happen to them in a foreign country if they violate the law. 

Not me. I don't even like leaving Nevada sometimes lol. Utah will nail you on bs window tint just driving through.

On 7/9/2022 at 11:48 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If only there were threads where I might have made hundreds or thousands of posts about Russians.  Know of any?  

Yes, those celebrating this here in America are indeed real bad guys.  That there seems to be countless people taking joy, downright giddy, about this because they disagreed with her speech is very alarming, very concerning, very bad, and those are real bad guys. Yes, real bad guys.  Real bad.

That is still no value statement on Russia, or Russians. "Russians are bad" is not exactly a hot take here lately but well done for pointing that out.  Valuable insight, really.  

*Americans, including Brittany Griner, don’t march in lockstep.

*Griner is thrown into a prison cell on bs charges due to world events way bigger than her

*Griner hopefully figures out some of the things she thought about the world and her country were very wrong

Some Americans:

image.jpeg.10e8bff3ea5552780ad5c510fb10232d.jpeg

Halfman: That is so un-American. We must all be in lockstep behind this person that happily trashed us when things were going well for her.

Lawlor: Nah dawg, that ain’t America

*All the like heroes hoping Halfman could make a point that justifies their silliness

image.png.d6df4682f0fab54a0924362e88def478.png

On 7/9/2022 at 11:46 AM, toonkee said:

That’s me. I’m bringing a $14 10-pack of gummies. I can all but guarantee nothing happens to me. The Dominican govt has a vested interest in me having a good time while I’m there. Putting American tourists in jail is a great way to put your economy at risk. They’re concerned about the drug trade, of which I am clearly not a part. If I were trying to smuggle in enough to sell at a profit, that’d be a different story. I wouldn’t be using the regular-ass airport for that though.

I will think of you all while I’m baked on the balcony overlooking the ocean.