Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Britney Griner

It's being reported that the price to get Whelan out was a Russian spy.  One in prison for murder.  In Germany.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/moscow-wanted-russian-colonel-jailed-203324391.html

Russia reportedly asked U.S. authorities to help free a Russian spy imprisoned for murder in Germany in exchange for releasing wrongfully detained ex-Marine Paul Whelan.

American officials told CNN on Friday that they shared multiple other options for the trade but that the Kremlin would only consider former colonel Vadim Krasikov, who is serving a life sentence.

The German government was unwilling to cooperate with the U.S. to free Krasikov, according to contacts on both sides.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 12/9/2022 at 1:59 PM, madmartigan said:

Enlightening to watch the team banners being carried and mental gymnastics play out. This one has been fun. 

There are many big news stories where it’s very common for some people in a large highly educated group (like this board) to have some sort of life/work experience that allows them to give very informed takes on the topic.

An international negotiation regarding a swap of prisoners sure as hell is not one of those news stories, which is what has made this thread fun for me.

On 12/9/2022 at 5:51 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Glad she is home.

Wish Whelan was as well.  

I'd rather Whelan was home over her, but I get the price was impossible. Glad she is home though.

On 12/9/2022 at 7:16 PM, Los_Aztecas said:

I'd rather Whelan was home over her, but I get the price was impossible. Glad she is home though.

Americans home is a good thing.  The folks celebrating her imprisonment and lamenting her release make me nauseated.

Whelan should be home, too.  More complicated.  

On 12/9/2022 at 7:20 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Americans home is a good thing.  The folks celebrating her imprisonment and lamenting her release make me nauseated.

Whelan should be home, too.  More complicated.  

If only we were world weary global geopolitical operatives or businessmen, we'd know how it all works. 

On 12/9/2022 at 7:22 PM, grandjean87 said:

If only we were world weary global geopolitical operatives or businessmen, we'd know how it all works. 

Russia doing a 2-1 was not ever going to happen.  They said as much.  I do think we chose Griner over Whelan based on what was previously reported by Reuters that Russia would do a 1-1 for either.  I trust that reporting, and people questioning the priority should not be dismissed.  

That said, Griner home is a good thing.  

On 12/9/2022 at 6:25 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Russia doing a 2-1 was not ever going to happen.  They said as much.  I do think we chose Griner over Whelan based on what was previously reported by Reuters that Russia would do a 1-1 for either.  I trust that reporting, and people questioning the priority should not be dismissed.  

Then, ethically, they made the wrong choice. 

But again an American being home is a good thing.

On 12/9/2022 at 7:25 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

There was different reporting today on what Russia wanted for Whelan. But, no I don't really trust any of it.

On 12/9/2022 at 8:55 PM, IanforHeisman said:

E4FEA88D-8B36-458D-A833-B0BF76444149.jpeg

T F G

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor