soupslam1

Britney Griner

On 12/8/2022 at 7:54 AM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I’m just saying getting Griner home was possible. Getting Whelan home is not. Waiting around for something that’s never going to happen at Griner’s expense would be worse than weak. 

Oh, you’re so full of shit. We’ve traded bad people that include spies gazillions of times. Trading the Merchant of Death for a pot chick isn’t the way you set precedents for future deals. Biden is such a POS to leave Whelan hanging. How about “Hey Putin, I won’t park 4 nuke subs off the coast of Russia, just 1, for now. There’s all kinds of leverage Biden could create. He’s just a big pussy. 

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2022 at 8:47 AM, Nevada Convert said:

Oh, you’re so full of shit. We’ve traded bad people that include spies gazillions of times. Trading the Merchant of Death for a pot chick isn’t the way you set precedents for future deals. Biden is such a POS to leave Whelan hanging. How about “Hey Putin, I won’t park 4 nuke subs off the coast of Russia, just 1, for now. There’s all kinds of leverage Biden could create. He’s just a big pussy. 

I suppose I should have said “Getting Whelan home is not possible without taking extreme measures.”

On 12/8/2022 at 10:59 AM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I suppose I should have said “Getting Whelan home is not possible without taking extreme measures.”

Regardless of the complex nature of Viktor's past, including with the U.S., he was one of the world's most wanted men. Surely we can get a WNBA player AND someone accused of being a spy in return. It's hard to frame this as anything but a horrible miss by the U.S.. 

• Like 2

On 12/8/2022 at 5:56 AM, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Good trade. Viktor didn’t deserve to be in jail here. 

No shit.

Why is being an "arms dealer" against the law?

Are there "legal" arms dealers and "illegal" arms dealers? Says who?

Isn't the good old USA the biggest "arms dealer" in the world?

• Like 5

On 12/8/2022 at 8:19 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

I can guarantee there are thousands of posts saying pretty much that all over social media.  I can also guarantee there are people who used her not being free to bash Biden, and now use her release to bash Biden.  People are strange.

It is what it is. This will fall along partisan lines, as usual. 

On 12/8/2022 at 9:51 AM, CV147 said:

I'm fine with the exchange. I just don't like the hypocrisy of jailing thousands of non-violent drug offenders here, but we get Grinder released because she's good at putting a ball through a hoop.

I agree with the principle here. But to be fair, anyone who is solely incarcerated for simple marijuana possession, which is what she would have been charged with in the U.S., would be at the state and local levels. Biden already awarded clemency to anyone in federal prison for simple marijuana possession ... and there weren't many of those to begin with.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2022 at 9:51 AM, CV147 said:

I'm fine with the exchange. I just don't like the hypocrisy of jailing thousands of non-violent drug offenders here, but we get Grinder released because she's good at putting a ball through a hoop.

Local law enforcement and state laws largely dictate how many people go to jail for non-violent drug offenses, not the executive branch of the federal government. 

You think Putin cares about that arms dealer guy? It's clear Biden had no leverage. Briner was traded because Putin knew it would damage Biden. Briner home or no one. Joe took one for Britney.

• Like 3

I’m happy Griner is coming home. Wish Whelan was as well, but I’m not going to pretend I have a clue as to whether or not that was even possible; I’ve never sat in on an international negotiation to swap prisoners.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 12:08 PM, NVGiant said:

I agree with the principle here. But to be fair, anyone who is solely incarcerated for simple marijuana possession, which is what she would have been charged with in the U.S., would be at the state and local levels. Biden already awarded clemency to anyone in federal prison for simple marijuana possession ... and there weren't many of those to begin with.

If someone is in prison for possession, it's almost always because they also had warrants for something else or were on parole while being busted for it. Possession is almost always a fine and go home and if it has gotten to the point of someone going to prison, there is a lot more going on. 

On 12/8/2022 at 1:40 PM, Slapdad said:

If someone is in prison for possession, it's almost always because they also had warrants for something else or were on parole while being busted for it. Possession is almost always a fine and go home and if it has gotten to the point of someone going to prison, there is a lot more going on. 

Yeah, there was a lot going on... like Russia's invasion of Ukraine, and Putin's desire to make an example of an American breaking their laws. 

On 12/8/2022 at 1:32 PM, retrofade said:

Yeah, there was a lot going on... like Russia's invasion of Ukraine, and Putin's desire to make an example of an American breaking their laws. 

Obviously, the comment was regarding being busted in the U.S., which was clearly stated by NVGiant in his post and what my reply was addressing. It is obvious that Russia had bigger fish to fry with their imprisonment of Griner, but at the end of the day, she broke established Russian laws and put herself in a bad position. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 11:41 AM, renoskier said:

now that this is out of the way...

let's send some more $$$$/weapons Ukraine's way

I heard the U.S. might know a guy that just freed up some time and could make that happen. 

• Like 2