Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Britney Griner

We got fleeced for this trade. An arms dealer for a wnba player. People will inevitably die because of this decision. It also sets an awful precedent going forward: If a country wants to get their people out of US prisons, no matter how vile, simply jail a US celebrity and we’ll bend over backwards to ensure their release.

On 12/8/2022 at 8:52 AM, B_Lootz said:

We got fleeced for this trade. An arms dealer for a wnba player. People will inevitably die because of this decision. It also sets an awful precedent going forward: If a country wants to get their people out of US prisons, no matter how vile, simply jail a US celebrity and we’ll bend over backwards to ensure their release.

He did a shit ton of dirty work for us over the years, not just Russia. Weapons dealers make the world go ‘round. It’s not like we gave up the Blind Sheik for her.

Whining about this is just whining for the sake of whining. Your moral high ground is made of weeks-old breadsticks. 

On 12/8/2022 at 8:40 AM, MetropolitanCowboy said:

He did a shit ton of dirty work for us over the years, not just Russia. Weapons dealers make the world go ‘round. It’s not like we gave up the Blind Sheik for her.

Whining about this is just whining for the sake of whining. Your moral high ground is made of weeks-old breadsticks. 

The problem that I have with the trade is that Paul Whelan wasn't included in the trade. For all the calls of how unfair it was that she was in prison there, particularly LeBron and her former coach, and how if it had happened to someone who was a man/white/straight, that she'd be home, then she comes home while Paul stays in prison is a bad look. 

On 12/8/2022 at 7:40 AM, MetropolitanCowboy said:

It’s not like we gave up the Blind Sheik for her. 

True, but the question is who and what will our government give up for the next US celebrity who is ‘wrongfully’ imprisoned? We’ve just shown we will move heaven and earth to do whatever it  takes to free a celebrity, even if it means putting innocent people in harms way. That isn’t ‘weeks-old breadsticks’.. that is an incontrovertible, undeniable fact.

On 12/8/2022 at 10:07 AM, B_Lootz said:

True, but the question is who and what will our government give up for the next US celebrity who is ‘wrongfully’ imprisoned? We’ve just shown we will move heaven and earth to do whatever it  takes to free a celebrity, even if it means putting innocent people in harms way. That isn’t ‘weeks-old breadsticks’.. that is an incontrovertible, undeniable fact.

What innocent people in harm’s way? The ones who get killed by Bout’s weapons? Laff laff laff. He’s providing a service, giving weapons to people to kill other people in shitty far-off civil wars we needn’t concern ourselves with. 

You’re acting like he’s blowing up schools, wedding parties, supporting Al-Qaeda against mean dudes with mustaches, dropping depleted uranium and causing untold health catastrophes and…oh wait, that’s us. 

On 12/8/2022 at 10:05 AM, Slapdad said:

The problem that I have with the trade is that Paul Whelan wasn't included in the trade. For all the calls of how unfair it was that she was in prison there, particularly LeBron and her former coach, and how if it had happened to someone who was a man/white/straight, that she'd be home, then she comes home while Paul stays in prison is a bad look. 

Yeah, Whelan should have been in there, I agree. Maybe he’s a PTBNL. 

On 12/8/2022 at 7:40 AM, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Not only that but Griner is a far superior low post player than Victor is.

People, not a fan.

On 12/8/2022 at 9:16 AM, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Yeah, Whelan should have been in there, I agree. Maybe he’s a PTBNL. 

I suspect he is a PTBNL....in about 12 years. 

Whelan was never going to be released. The Russian propaganda machine has labeled him a spy. It’s not true, but that doesn’t matter. Releasing him shows weakness. Griner was always a ploy. I’m glad she’s coming home. 

On 12/8/2022 at 9:32 AM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Whelan was never going to be released. The Russian propaganda machine has labeled him a spy. It’s not true, but that doesn’t matter. Releasing him shows weakness. Griner was always a ploy. I’m glad she’s coming home. 

I'm fine with her coming home, though all the outrage about her being in prison in the first place was a bit much, IMO. Regardless of what the Russian propaganda machine labeled Whelan, that is where the U.S. negotiators come in. You're right, letting him go would have shown weakness on Putin's part....instead, it was the U.S. that showed the weakness. 

On 12/8/2022 at 7:42 AM, Slapdad said:

I'm fine with her coming home, though all the outrage about her being in prison in the first place was a bit much, IMO. Regardless of what the Russian propaganda machine labeled Whelan, that is where the U.S. negotiators come in. You're right, letting him go would have shown weakness on Putin's part....instead, it was the U.S. that showed the weakness. 

I’m just saying getting Griner home was possible. Getting Whelan home is not. Waiting around for something that’s never going to happen at Griner’s expense would be worse than weak. 

On 12/8/2022 at 7:32 AM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Whelan's family released a statement saying as much.  Said they were glad an American was going to come home and to take a deal that was possible.

I think it is fair to have nuance on this.  I am glad an American comes home.  But she did commit a crime in another country, and I respect another country's laws.  But, I completely believe she was a pawn, and was used in a leverage ploy, so that action will negate my views on respecting another country's laws.

On 12/8/2022 at 8:10 AM, grandjean87 said:

I sure wish she was still in the gulag.  The U.S. would be so much stronger. 

I can guarantee there are thousands of posts saying pretty much that all over social media.  I can also guarantee there are people who used her not being free to bash Biden, and now use her release to bash Biden.  People are strange.

On 12/8/2022 at 9:19 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

I can guarantee there are thousands of posts saying pretty much that all over social media.  I can also guarantee there are people who used her not being free to bash Biden, and now use her release to bash Biden.  People are strange.

It's as expected.  I don't do political stuff on FB, but an old friend posted on the topic and the idiots came out in force. 

On 12/8/2022 at 7:18 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

We traded an arms dealer for a female basketball player and left other Americans to rot. Were there no war criminals or cannibals to trade or something?

It would’ve been a bad enough trade for Whelan and Griner, but no Whelan? That is beyond pathetic. Fvck Joe Biden. 

kat.jpg