Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Britney Griner

On 7/16/2022 at 11:03 PM, GoDogs22 said:

Sure bud, whatever you say.  First though, tell us what's "lefty" about this board?

The posts are clearer when I look at them with just my left eye than when just with my right.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 7/27/2022 at 1:04 PM, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Sounds like this has been on the table as the offer for weeks, but Russia is hesitating? https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/wnba/mercury/2022/07/28/brittney-griner-prisoner-swap-russia-viktor-bout/10169747002/

I think  some of the concerns in the article^ are valid.  

On 7/28/2022 at 1:00 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Sounds like this has been on the table as the offer for weeks, but Russia is hesitating? https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/wnba/mercury/2022/07/28/brittney-griner-prisoner-swap-russia-viktor-bout/10169747002/

I think  some of the concerns in the article^ are valid.  

Yeah it's a tough spot. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't kinda thing.

On 8/4/2022 at 9:38 AM, ridgeview2 said:

Verdict came back and was found guilty, sentenced to 9 years.

If that is the standard sentence for Russians, it is hard to argue.  Now, let's see what happens with negotiations.  In the end, it was her mistake, so giving them an arms dealer for a pot smoker and the Whelan guy who has a strange history himself, seems imbalanced, to say the least.

On 8/4/2022 at 10:44 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

If that is the standard sentence for Russians, it is hard to argue.  Now, let's see what happens with negotiations.  In the end, it was her mistake, so giving them an arms dealer for a pot smoker and the Whelan guy who has a strange history himself, seems imbalanced, to say the least.

They also want Germany to give them a convicted murderer as well to release the two Americans.  

I don't like it.  Sadly, I would rather see Griner spend a few years.  :( 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/29/politics/griner-whelan-russia-murderer-request/index.html

On 8/4/2022 at 9:51 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

They also want Germany to give them a convicted murderer as well to release the two Americans.  

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/29/politics/griner-whelan-russia-murderer-request/index.html

I always go the opposite, and say what would we do if we had someone come in and break the law.  If we want our system to be respected, we need to respect others, so long as it isn't more punitive than what they would do to their own, and that is what I would expect from us.  If it were like-for-like prisoners, I would be open to that.  This doesn't seem like that.  And backroom secret deals that we don't know about won't make it better either.

On 8/4/2022 at 9:58 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

I always go the opposite, and say what would we do if we had someone come in and break the law.  If we want our system to be respected, we need to respect others, so long as it isn't more punitive than what they would do to their own, and that is what I would expect from us.  If it were like-for-like prisoners, I would be open to that.  This doesn't seem like that.  And backroom secret deals that we don't know about won't make it better either.

I read recently that there are 40 other Americans in other countries that the Biden Adm has declared to be unlawfully detained. These people aren’t famous and no one is talking about them. Griner doesn’t deserve special treatment over these others. I heard some propaganda that Bout is near the end of his sentence and that’s not true. He doesn’t qualify for parole and his sentence goes into the late 2030’s……2037 or 38 I believe. 

kat.jpg

On 8/4/2022 at 9:51 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

With our current relations, Putin won’t let any American out unless he gets an insanely good offer to laugh about. We’ll think it’s a done deal, and with our hopes up will say no at the last second just to fvck with us. Putin will have to be out before she has any chance. 

kat.jpg

On 8/4/2022 at 12:49 PM, Nevada Convert said:

With our current relations, Putin won’t let any American out unless he gets an insanely good offer to laugh about. We’ll think it’s a done deal, and with our hopes up will say no at the last second just to fvck with us. Putin will have to be out before she has any chance. 

Trying to make it seem as if Germany is a political lackey of the US seems to proof of that.  :( 

Released this morning.  1-for-1 swap.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.