Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Game Thread: 2024 Presidential Election

On 1/20/2023 at 11:51 AM, madmartigan said:

Now here's the ultimate question, who would you people LIKE to see run? I'm struggling to find names I like regardless of political leaning. 

of course I wish he were younger but overall I think Joe is doing a pretty good job

On 1/20/2023 at 12:54 PM, grandjean87 said:

All indications are such, but he's as steeped in political history as anyone I can think of.   I can see a step aside if we have a deeper and longer than expected recession heading through Q2 '24.  He's aware of 1968, 1988, and others that might have import.   I can also envision his ego ignoring his sense of legacy. 

If Desantis can run a well disciplined campaign he will easily beat Biden if Biden runs again. 

On 1/20/2023 at 12:58 PM, grandjean87 said:

Good question.  I inferred that the Trump bros. vibe Rogan gives off had some import on his audience.   But, if I ever become a Joe Rogan follower, remind me to stop posting. 

Joe Rogan is a know nothing doofus that's made a living off of having his staff look stuff up for him. He's generally out of his element unless he's talking BJJ/MMA, weed or whiskey. He gets some really high quality guests, so you can't knock that, but there are so many better interviewers out there than him. Yes I am jealous of how much money he makes. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 1/20/2023 at 12:59 PM, renoskier said:

of course I wish he were younger but overall I think Joe is doing a pretty good job

He's done a very good job with Ukraine/Russia. Handled that decently well. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 1/20/2023 at 1:44 PM, madmartigan said:

Joe Rogan is a know nothing doofus that's made a living off of having his staff look stuff up for him. He's generally out of his element unless he's talking BJJ/MMA, weed or whiskey. He gets some really high quality guests, so you can't knock that, but there are so many better interviewers out there than him. Yes I am jealous of how much money he makes. 

Joe lost me as even as a legit combat sports analyst about a decade back when he kept saying Ronda Rousey was a top 25 men's bantamweight.  He's a likable bro.   Yes, he has done great guests, but you can hear and read their takes in other places. 

On 1/20/2023 at 1:39 PM, bornontheblue said:

If Desantis can run a well disciplined campaign he will easily beat Biden if Biden runs again. 

Three things.  

1. That doesn't feel like a small "if".  DeSantis may well end up in the large pile of past early front runners or anointed major party candidates who never get the nomination. 

2. Easily?  Your confirmation bias is well intact.

3.  Even if DeSantis is the R-nominee, he's going to have to overcome a lot of negativism.   His right wing populist actions, policies, and rhetoric have put him a box that's not so easy to escape and pivot away from in this polarized era.  

On 1/20/2023 at 2:10 PM, grandjean87 said:

Three things.  

1. That doesn't feel like a small "if".  DeSantis may well end up in the large pile of past early front runners or anointed major party candidates who never get the nomination. 

3.  Even if DeSantis is the R-nominee, he's going to have to overcome a lot of negativism.   His right wing populist actions, policies, and rhetoric have put him a box that's not so easy to escape and pivot away from in this polarized era.  

His right wing polarizing blah, blah, blah  is only offensive to put people who are just going to vote against him any ways and live in that bubble. More independent minded people have shown a tendency to vote for him as evidenced by the last election in Florida, with blue counties being flipped red.   The media will try to make a circus show out of him anyways , and hopefully he will not be a fool and take the bait every damn time like Trump who couldn't help himself. 

With all things remaining constant, and if Desantis can run a well disciplined campaign he will defeat Biden, who is FAR from a popular incumbent. There is a lot of time though, and things won't remain constant, so we will see. 

On 1/20/2023 at 1:10 PM, grandjean87 said:

Three things.  

That’s the case with any Republican nominee. They’re always worse than the last guy who was the worst guy ever. Mitt Romney was an animal abusing corporate raider that wanted to re-enslave black people.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 1/20/2023 at 2:30 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

That’s the case with any Republican nominee. They’re always worse than the last guy who was the worst guy ever. Mitt Romney was an animal abusing corporate raider that wanted to re-enslave black people.

Maher sort of said that here 

On 1/20/2023 at 1:51 PM, madmartigan said:

Now here's the ultimate question, who would you people LIKE to see run? I'm struggling to find names I like regardless of political leaning. 

fed5e492-e993-43e1-bff1-02e2e6a33c96-USP

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Mike Dukakis thanks you for that analysis.  

I'm not discounting DeSantis.   I think he's the most likely the '24 R-nominee (at this point in time).  It's just early and history shows that as folks like Gary Hart well know.  

As for that "easily beat Biden" thing, I'm alluding to the polarization that is the topic of another current thread.  DeSantis is out there in the culture wars.   That may be the place to be in Florida in '22, and not the political space to be in swing states in '24. 

On 1/20/2023 at 2:26 PM, bornontheblue said:

His right wing polarizing blah, blah, blah  is only offensive to put people who are just going to vote against him any ways and live in that bubble. More independent minded people have shown a tendency to vote for him as evidenced by the last election in Florida, with blue counties being flipped red.   The media will try to make a circus show out of him anyways , and hopefully he will not be a fool and take the bait every damn time like Trump who couldn't help himself. 

With all things remaining constant, and if Desantis can run a well disciplined campaign he will defeat Biden, who is FAR from a popular incumbent. There is a lot of time though, and things won't remain constant, so we will see. 

Well, you were right in 2020. 

On 1/20/2023 at 1:58 PM, grandjean87 said:

Mike Dukakis thanks you for that analysis.  

I'm not discounting DeSantis.   I think he's the most likely the '24 R-nominee (at this point in time).  It's just early and history shows that as folks like Gary Hart well know.  

As for that "easily beat Biden" thing, I'm alluding to the polarization that is the topic of another current thread.  DeSantis is out there in the culture wars.   That may be the place to be in Florida in 2:, and not the political space to be in swing states in '24. 

On the easily beat I agree. Nobody easily wins the Presidency.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 1/20/2023 at 2:39 PM, grandjean87 said:

I'm looking for a dark horse candidate either as a replacement for Joe if we have a real recession that extends into mid-2024.  Someone from outside of politics who doesn't have any policy implementing record from the Summer of Love and Covid.  I don't see that as a real possibility for the Rs. 

Happy The Rock GIF

On 1/20/2023 at 1:30 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

And women, binders full! Grannies over the cliff.

110926run_defense710.jpg

I am a McCain republican. Why? because he was a centrist that realize that we all have to find a way to live together. Left and Right. Legislation is good if it pisses absolutely everyone off because they did not get what they wanted, but ends up being the best compromise for everyone when put into action. Stilted the way I said that... I know. 

The Republican party has left me.... There are no more moderates. They have all been driven out. Joe Biden was the most moderate of all the options in the last election. He has been pulled way the hell left by a very narrow coalition he had in congress. He has to pander to  a wing of the party that is farther left than he has been just to get anything done. That is because there are no moderate republicans that would allow him to move toward the center. 

Out of anyone and everyone that ran in the last election the person that was closest to the center (after Joe Biden) was Mayor Pete. Mayor Pete was also probably the most intelligent candidate from either party. Total novice though with absolutely no national experience. Kind of wish he was a little more conservative (especially fiscally) than he is but he would easily be my choice.

Post of the day !!!!!!

You win an all expenses paid vacation to Winnemucca Nevada.