Jump to content
Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

Recommended Posts

On 9/8/2022 at 11:02 AM, Someone Else said:

All my sources say a December announcement and I have moles everywhere!

Not sure I believe anything at this point but there is a rumor among SDSU athletes something will be announced around this time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2022 at 12:53 PM, MrBug708 said:

Attendance should pick up in the coming weeks, but attendance was going to be brutal yesterday in that heat. Discounting the tickets would have helped maybe, but if you wanted to sit anywhere decent, it was like 50$ from the website, plus $30 for parking, just to sit in that heat. Lot of terrible decisions by admin, have been made in the past that have born fruit today. It'll be a brisk 90 next week, so I'll take my 7 year old and we shouldn't have to worry about heatstroke. And get to see a cool band at half time.

Agreed, the heat was a factor but let's be honest, UCLA has struggled with attendance for some time now, no matter the weather.  I'm guessing the tarps were pre-planned no matter the weather. 90K or whatever the Rose Bowl holds is unrealistic but you'd think UCLA could do better than they are. Coming off an 8 win season last year to boot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2022 at 9:00 PM, Trojan209 said:

USC had the same issue with a 3pm kickoff. Both LA games were on the P12N. If that is going to be the case and nobody can get the channel then those games may as well have been a later kickoff. I'm sure some of it has to do with the conference getting back at the LA schools for leaving. 

To my knowledge, Fox and ESPN still have first dibs on which games they want on their network that week. After that, it slides to the P12 Network. Even with the LA schools leaving, it's still to the advantage of FOX/ESPN to have the best P12 product on that week.  I don't think conference leadership has much control on the above. But I could be wrong.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2022 at 12:20 PM, utenation said:

To my knowledge, Fox and ESPN still have first dibs on which games they want on their network that week. After that, it slides to the P12 Network. Even with the LA schools leaving, it's still to the advantage of FOX/ESPN to have the best P12 product on that week.  I don't think conference leadership has much control on the above. But I could be wrong.

 

I had always thought that because the conference owns the network they can dictate kickoff times, maybe they schedule to be a good partner with the other networks that televise games but I can't say for certain. I tried looking through their tv manual for tv scheduling but couldn't really find anything on the subject of planning around other networks' broadcasts. 

 

PAC-12 TV Manual

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2022 at 1:43 PM, Trojan209 said:

I had always thought that because the conference owns the network they can dictate kickoff times, maybe they schedule to be a good partner with the other networks that televise games but I can't say for certain. I tried looking through their tv manual for tv scheduling but couldn't really find anything on the subject of planning around other networks' broadcasts. 

 

PAC-12 TV Manual

I think many teams would prefer to play early afternoon, if they have a choice. Rather than late night games etc.  Obviously, ratings are key if the game is in primetime early evening but for the P12 Network, that's a non factor.

So when the TV schedule was inked, I'm not sure folks thought it would be untraditionally hot in LA last week. 

Just a guess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2022 at 12:02 PM, Someone Else said:

All my sources say a December announcement and I have moles everywhere!

Rumor is ESPN best offer has been $275 million, Pac wanted $350 million but now would take $300 million if offered (that info is coming from ASU and WSU fans, claiming to have inside sources).  It still sounds like the Pac office will take a share, so instead of dividing the number by 10, it will be divided by 11...  $275 million / 11 = $25 million per or $300 million / 11 = $27.27 million per.  So it will be interesting to see who blinks first if this in the case, the Pac didn't do it's self any favors in in week one with losses at Florida and in Atlanta.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2022 at 12:50 PM, utenation said:

I think many teams would prefer to play early afternoon, if they have a choice. Rather than late night games etc.  Obviously, ratings are key if the game is in primetime early evening but for the P12 Network, that's a non factor.

So when the TV schedule was inked, I'm not sure folks would think it would be untraditionally hot in LA last week. 

Just a guess. 

I was being facetious with my earlier comment. The initial schedule announcement for kickoff times was made back in May, so there's no way they could have predicted how hot it was going to be. From a fan, standpoint sitting around without much shade sucks, as a player and coach you get the flexibility of moving around a bit more during the game, but when it's hot it's just hot and you do what you can to stay cool. But it's hard to blame the fans for staying away over the weekend because they're just not used to that kind of heat.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2022 at 2:01 PM, e-zone99 said:

Rumor is ESPN best offer has been $275 million, Pac wanted $350 million but now would take $300 million if offered (that info is coming from ASU and WSU fans, claiming to have inside sources).  It still sounds like the Pac office will take a share, so instead of dividing the number by 10, it will be divided by 11...  $275 million / 11 = $25 million per or $300 million / 11 = $27.27 million per.  So it will be interesting to see who blinks first if this in the case, the Pac didn't do it's self any favors in in week one with losses at Florida and in Atlanta.

You love these rumors it seems.  Also, I think the P12 does and will pool all revenue, (TV and performance) subtracts their expenses, then distributes to schools. I highly doubt there is some type of 11th share from a TV contract.

BTW, if you want to say losses in Florida and Atlanta hurt the playoff possibilities for the P12, I can buy it. But if you are talking about eyeballs and $$$ from tv ratings for a new contract, you are backwards. The Oregon game had 6.20 million viewers. The Utah game had nearly 3 million making them the 3rd and 9th most watched games in CFB last week.

Utah lost by a fingernail in a very tough venue across the country to a team that is now ranked 12th with a super freak at QB. Hardly a bad showing for the conference. Oregon on the other hand, was embarrassing on the field. 

Your B12/BYU bitterness really shows when it comes to the conference Utah is in. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the Pac 12 and the ESPN make an exclusive agreement, I'd presume there will be two parts of that agreement.  First, an annual media rights number @ ~$300 million divided by 11.  Second, a partial equity sale of the Pac 12 network to ESPN divided by 10.

ESPN has every reason to place a high valuation on a college sports network because they are the biggest owners of these.  Somewhere in ESPNs public financials they wrote down what the SEC network is worth and the Pac 12 is going to get something in proportion to how their network financials compare to whatever valuation ESPN put on its existing sports networks when they reported to shareholders and the public.

An equity sale softens the blow to the Pac 12, but the Big 12 doesn't have a network it can sell Disney.  Fox, CBS and NBC also have interest in getting viewers in the south and west if the Pac 12, ACC and SEC have exclusive agreements with ESPN so I'd anticipate the Big 12 doesn't renew with ESPN.

I'd expect the Big 12 to balk way more than the Pac 12 at a number around $300 million because they have fewer sources of revenue and smaller endowments than most Pac 12 schools.  

I'd expect ESPN to be in favor of expansion back to 12.  Boise State and San Diego State make the most sense for expansion  because ESPN knows it can capitalize on Boise State at least as much as San Diego State.  However, the Pac 12 likely will wait until after 2026 to expand because the potential gains in renegotiating will be greater after the playoff starts happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2022 at 3:37 PM, Bruininthebay said:

If the Pac 12 and the ESPN make an exclusive agreement, I'd presume there will be two parts of that agreement.  First, an annual media rights number @ ~$300 million divided by 11.  Second, a partial equity sale of the Pac 12 network to ESPN divided by 10.

ESPN has every reason to place a high valuation on a college sports network because they are the biggest owners of these.  Somewhere in ESPNs public financials they wrote down what the SEC network is worth and the Pac 12 is going to get something in proportion to how their network financials compare to whatever valuation ESPN put on its existing sports networks when they reported to shareholders and the public.

An equity sale softens the blow to the Pac 12, but the Big 12 doesn't have a network it can sell Disney.  

I'd expect the Big 12 to balk way more than the Pac 12 at a number around $300 million because they have fewer sources of revenue and smaller endowments than most Pac 12 schools.  Fox, CBS and NBC also have a bigger interest than Disney in getting viewers in the south and west if the Pac 12 has an exclusive agreement with ESPN comparable to the ACC and SEC.

Equipment and infrastructure of the P12 Network is probably paid for by now after 11 years of the P12 running everything themselves.  Even as shitty as the network was ran by former P12 leadership, schools were still getting around 3 million per year.

An ESPN partnership would likely help with distribution issues as well.  I'm not expecting B10 Network or SEC Network numbers but even with 10 schools, probably a decent bump if the network is ran properly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2022 at 9:55 AM, Reverend said:

Superior options are the PAC schools how ever they really aren't that superior to the top 3 MWC teams. But I am guessing the Big 12 really doesn't wanna add more G5 schools. They already get flack for that.

That clears up the entire expansion mess.  Individual conferences are making their decisions on how much "flack" they'll get.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2022 at 11:42 PM, bigd said:

At this point I think everyone will stay put unless the Big Ten poaches the Pac Ten again. 
At that point I’d imagine the four corners are gone.

That could happen it might not. Big Ten doesn't have to be the next one to start moves, I think right now everyone is looking at all their options right now and really the TV deal talks is what I think has changed the conferences right now. It will also be how each school sees their conference as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34631895/pac-12-commissioner-says-expect-more-teams-leaving-big-ten-big-12

 

Quote

 "We think that the incremental money they're going to receive from the Big Ten media rights deal will be more than 100% offset by additional expenses.

50-70 million dollars is some crazy "incremental money". Talking points are out in full force because the next Regents meeting is on Thursday.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2022 at 4:04 PM, MrBug708 said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34631895/pac-12-commissioner-says-expect-more-teams-leaving-big-ten-big-12

 

50-70 million dollars is some crazy "incremental money". Talking points are out in full force because the next Regents meeting is on Thursday.

Did he say this with a straight face?

"I talk to our presidents and chancellors and athletic directors all the time; we have conversations about this," Kliavkoff said. "Everyone is committed to working together to get a great grant of rights, following a good media rights deal, and I take people at their word."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/21/2022 at 7:56 AM, alum93 said:

Did he say this with a straight face?

"I talk to our presidents and chancellors and athletic directors all the time; we have conversations about this," Kliavkoff said. "Everyone is committed to working together to get a great grant of rights, following a good media rights deal, and I take people at their word."

Wilner (and Canzano) are nothing more than useful idiot mouthpieces for the PAC12 propaganda spin machine right now that’s on life support.  There’s no way anyone actually believes any of the comedy from that interview.  UCLA breaking even in the B1G like there’s a $30M - $50M increase in travel and other expense?  Schools lining up to sign onto a GOR?  😂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2022 at 12:02 PM, Someone Else said:

All my sources say a December announcement and I have moles everywhere!

Did you like how my moles were correct on Boise adding a PAC and Big West school to finish their OOC Schedule? Or how I was days ahead of Jon's latest news on the PAC?

Meanwhile you, @Headbutt, @renoskierand others continue to be useless and add nothing, NOTHING to the board.

Good job.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/21/2022 at 8:06 AM, Reverend said:

Did you like how my moles were correct on Boise adding a PAC and Big West school to finish their OOC Schedule? Or how I was days ahead of Jon's latest news on the PAC?

Meanwhile you, @Headbutt, @renoskierand others continue to be useless and add nothing, NOTHING to the board.

Good job.

Good grief man, just stop.  You throw tons of shit against the wall and claim insider status when something supposedly falls your way.  You’re no better than MHVer3 or TuxedoYoda.  You don’t know squat.  This “look at me!!” schtick is pathetic.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...