Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

On 8/21/2022 at 5:22 PM, RebelRobert said:

UNLV and Las Vegas are the ONLY MWC school with any potential at all to improve the PAC-12 or Big Ten long term.

A Top 25 UNLV Football puts 50,000+ a game in Allegiant Stadium.

A Top 25 UNLV Basketball team outs 16,000+ a night in the Thomas & Mack.  This has already been proven more than once.

No other MWC school has that potential, none even come close to that potential.  The rest have seen what they can do at their best and it is pathetic.

UNLV is the only big time school left in the so called G5.  They won’t be there for long.

We've heard the word "potential" too much.  It's time for results, don't ya think?  L:OL      

UNLV and Las Vegas are the ONLY MWC school with any potential at all to improve the PAC-12 or Big Ten long term. <---I PURE Horse shit!  "Potential" & a quarter will get you a cup o' coffee.

A Top 25 UNLV Basketball team puts 16,000+ a night in the Thomas & Mack.  This has already been proven more than once.

No other MWC school has that potential, none even come close to that potential.  The rest have seen what they can do at their best and it is pathetic.

UNLV is the only big time school left in the so called G5.  They won’t be there for long.

UNLV and Las Vegas are the ONLY MWC school with any potential at all to improve the PAC-12 or Big Ten long term. <---I PURE Horse shit!  "Potential" & a quarter will get you a cup o' coffee.

A Top 25 UNLV Football puts 50,000+ a game in Allegiant Stadium.  <---I You've had two winning seasons (just barely .538 & .615) in D-1A football & now y'all are a Top-25 pgm...haha!!!

UNLV is the only big time school left in the so called G5.  <---I Other than a handful of yrs before you had hair on your balls, when was Nevada Southern "big time."

UNLV is the ONLY expansion candidate that has any potential to move the needle for the PAC-12 long term. No Lowlife Cal State school or truck driving IdaHO University is going to do anything but be a leech.

UNLV is the ONLY G5 Powerhouse program left.

They will be invited to the PAC-12.

And only an additional 50,000 or so watching a UNLV game on TV/streaming.

UNLV might get an attendance bump but the PAC or Big 10 take a media contract hit and also get a bottom team hurting the SOS.

On 8/21/2022 at 5:22 PM, Half-Man is All-Tyrant said:

¿What makes you think Cal & Stanford get select to the B1G before Oregon & The Dogs?

10-Pac "...will then add...UNLV (YES...they do suck) for the mkt."  You do understand:

Denver:  #17-DMA  I  4.1mm ppl +12-y/o

Vegas:   #38-DMA  I  2.1mm ppl +12-y/o

¿...right?

No one in Vegas cares about UNLV. And there could be an argument that the PAC already has the Vegas market.

As for adding Cal and Stanford? Academics, Politics, Notre Dame, UCLA, Bay market... 

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

On 8/21/2022 at 3:30 PM, HawaiiMongoose said:

I'd really like to spend at least one day in a universe where that happens.  What a show!

But if the B1G does take four more from the the Pac-12, I don't think the B1G presidents will be able to resist Cal's academic pedigree.  The only thing that might prevent that is Warren (being the business guy he is) convincing them that the conference would gain more by grabbing Colorado to gain a Front Range presence.  If he's trying to replicate the NFL model, he'll be thinking that the Bay Area originally supported two NFL franchises but that ultimately shrank to one, whereas Denver has been one of the league's most successful franchises.

I think if they were to pick a front range/Mountain Time Zone school they would pick Utah over Colorado. Much better product on the football field in recent years and much better fan support on top of being an AAU.

44 minutes ago, Reverend said:

No one on Vegas cares about UNLV. And there ckuld be an argument that the PAC already has the Vegas market.

As for adding Cal and Stanford? Academics, Politics, Notre Dame, UCLA, Bay market... 

If I were to guess I'd have to agree with you about Cal & Stanford. 

The B10 already told Oregon & UW they weren't interested (at that time) and you are right, the academic fit of Stanford and Cal seems to make a lot of sense.  

I'm not entirely sure Stanford would chose to go to the B10 if offered but I certainly see the fit.

On 8/21/2022 at 8:12 PM, utgrizfan said:

I think if they were to pick a front range school they would pick Utah over Colorado. Much better product on the football field in recent years and much better fan support on top of being an AAU.

I've never heard Utah referred as front range.  

On 8/21/2022 at 3:30 PM, RebelRobert said:

UNLV is in the No. 40 television market in the country. Las Vegas has 757,840 television households, but would the Pac-12 make a bet on the rapid growth of that region? The NHL won big in Vegas. The NBA and MLB will soon follow. Between the summer of 2020 and 2021, the Las Vegas metro population grew by nearly 20,000 people and is now more than 2.3 million total residents. There’s a lot of money in the desert, a line of potential corporate partners, and Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff is well connected in Vegas. Keep that in mind.

But rapidly becoming a big city with massive water and electricity issues!

"Frankly my dear..I don't give a damn"!

On 8/21/2022 at 9:08 AM, RebelRobert said:

UNLV President Whitfield Answers Expansion Question:

Switching gears. USC and UCLA shocked the college sports world in July by announcing plans to leave the Pac-12 Conference for the Big 10. That leaves an opening in a lucrative Power 5 Conference that is regional to Las Vegas. Will UNLV be looking to take steps toward moving into a higher conference?

We’re in the Group of Five, but what’s interesting is the Mountain West Conference arguably is at the top of the Group of Five. So, that’s the reason why this is so complicated. We’re saying, for UNLV: Well, yes, people are talking about that. UNLV is a good school academically and athletically, and that we might be somebody that they would be interested in trying to return to that Pac-12. But others are saying, “The Pac-12 has been weakened and maybe with conference realignment, other people are going to leave.”

So, there’s all of this consternation and no one knows really what things really are and what’s really going to happen. You don’t really get to make a pitch, per say, to say “Oh, Iwant to meet with you because we want to be in the Pac-12.” But we get talked to about certain things, you know. We’ve not had any offers, so we’ve not made any decision.

I think more than anything else, I think we help to make the Mountain West Conference — our current conference — stronger. We also, as a university in and of ourselves, we want to compete with the best and I have significant hopes that this next year is going to be a solid year for all of our teams.

My take is that the Big-12, MWC or Big Ten is trying to convince UNLV that the PAC-12 may not be around and that others are going to leave the PAC-12.

Dr. Whitfield clearly said that UNLV has been talked to and that they are waiting for an offer when the PAC-12 is ready to return to 12.  We all know that the PAC-12 will make that offer in the next 30 days.

On 8/21/2022 at 9:34 PM, TheDogSnake said:

But rapidly becoming a big city with massive water and electricity issues!

That applies to California (USC/UCLA/SDSU) and Arizona schools as well. Water issues aren’t just a Las Vegas problem.

On 8/21/2022 at 8:07 PM, FresnoFacts said:

And only an additional 50,000 or so watching a UNLV game on TV/streaming.

UNLV might get an attendance bump but the PAC or Big 10 take a media contract hit and also get a bottom team hurting the SOS.

When UNLV is ranked we are the biggest game that their is.  UNLV is a national brand that commands a national audience. Nobody in the MWC can do what UNLV can do as a Top 25 program.  We are on another level you can never aspire to reach.

On 8/21/2022 at 7:47 PM, RebelRobert said:

When UNLV is ranked we are the biggest game that their is.  UNLV is a national brand that commands a national audience. Nobody in the MWC can do what UNLV can do as a Top 25 program.  We are on another level you can never aspire to reach.

UNLV should have been able to build a big fan base as the city grew. Instead the athletic programs languished over the decades and now has to fight for attention with pro sports. Currently the area is in the middle of MSAs/DMAs with 2 major pro teams by population numbers. But if it gains a NBA or MLB team or both then Las Vegas will be the smallest region with 3 or 4 major pro teams. Each of those pro teams will push UNLV lower in the local sports market.

I feel sorry for UNLV fans. The administration over the years cost the program several opportunities.

On 8/21/2022 at 7:45 PM, RebelRobert said:

That applies to California (USC/UCLA/SDSU) and Arizona schools as well. Water issues aren’t just a Las Vegas problem.

As believable as Brandon.

Now Norman, OK yet "he went to SDSU..."

On 8/21/2022 at 9:12 PM, FresnoFacts said:

UNLV should have been able to build a big fan base as the city grew. Instead the athletic programs languished over the decades and now has to fight for attention with pro sports. Currently the area is in the middle of MSAs/DMAs with 2 major pro teams by population numbers. But if it gains a NBA or MLB team or both then Las Vegas will be the smallest region with 3 or 4 major pro teams. Each of those pro teams will push UNLV lower in the local sports market.

I feel sorry for UNLV fans. The administration over the years cost the program several opportunities.

Could you imagine how well the UNLV administration will mess up a P5ish budget?  They'll owe $100 million to 5 coaches via buyouts in 10 years.  

On 8/21/2022 at 2:30 PM, HawaiiMongoose said:

I'd really like to spend at least one day in a universe where that happens.  What a show!

One thing that can top it is Cal approaches us, only to see the CSUs thumb their noses at them :Clapping:  Because Cal State /  UC balance.  

On 8/21/2022 at 8:32 PM, Wyobraska said:

Could you imagine how well the UNLV administration will mess up a P5ish budget?  They'll owe $100 million to 5 coaches via buyouts in 10 years.  

Danny Tarkanian will be one of those head coaches

On 8/21/2022 at 6:52 PM, Half-Man is All-Tyrant said:

NOPE.  The comment I was refering to was attached to my OP you responded to.

For your convenience, the comment is attached above, as well as cut 'n' pasted here:

"Once UCLA gets into the BIG their attendance will plummet because UCLA will be bottom dwellars"

¿Can I do anything else for you @Did I hear a WOOSH? to make your time here any more enjoyable?

No thank you, just keep doing what you’re doing, it’s great.