Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

On 9/28/2022 at 10:05 PM, MrBug708 said:

It's not really an argument, it just is simple. The UC system does not recognize a flagship school. But functionally UCB and UCLA are co-flagships. Over the past decade or so, they've been referred to as such They are very similar in terms of size, selectivity, and stats of their incoming students. Plus UCLA can claim some advantages in that they have a medical and dental schools, which Berkeley does not. UCLA does not have a business school. About the last advantage Cal has is it's location to Sacramento and being the first, which is fine they can be the "First UC" school.

Here is an op-ed article from a politician about why UCLA leaving the PAC-12 is bad for her business. It even makes reference as to UCLA being a flagship. Which begs the point, if you have multiple flagships, do you really have one flagship?
https://sd09.senate.ca.gov/news/20220811-opinion-why-ucla-quitting-pac-12-hurts-student-athletes-and-cal

[quot
e]UCLA is one of the flagship campuses of the University of California, arguably the nation’s finest public university system. UCLA should be expected — and counted on — to put its students first and to factor how its decisions may impact sister UC campuses.[/quote]

The idea of "flagship universities" work for some of the other state university systems where there is a clear pecking order. Like in the UT system in Texas where one school is UT and the others are such quality schools such as UTEP, UT-Arlington, and UTSA.

So no argument from me. It's as clear as day.

Cal 1A

UCLA 1B

UC Davis 3

And then we could start quibling from there.

I completely agree that Cal and UCLA are much closer than UT and everyone else.  So I grant your point there.  But I think you have to give Cal their due.  Even though that place is stupid and I would never want my kids to go there.  My oldest daughter I suspect will either go to Stanford like her grandfather, or UCLA like her aunt.  She won't be going to Berkley.

On 9/28/2022 at 10:45 PM, CPslograd said:

Cal 1A

UCLA 1B

UC Davis 3

And then we could start quibling from there.

I completely agree that Cal and UCLA are much closer than UT and everyone else.  So I grant your point there.  But I think you have to give Cal their due.  Even though that place is stupid and I would never want my kids to go there.  My oldest daughter I suspect will either go to Stanford like her grandfather, or UCLA like her aunt.  She won't be going to Berkley.

I think UC San Diego is third. Davis probably after that. But the middle tier UCs are all so close that it just depends on what criteria you’re using. 

On 9/22/2022 at 1:27 PM, utgrizfan said:

Could care less what people from Cali think about how I pronounce things

On 9/22/2022 at 2:10 PM, jdgaucho said:

I call it San Fran :coffeecomputer:

On 9/22/2022 at 3:07 PM, RebelAlliance said:

I use Frisco, just because it pisses them off so much.

On 9/23/2022 at 12:07 PM, Sportzaddict said:

I think it just just depends on the crowd and who you're talking to. Myself and most of the people I know use Cali all the time. It's pretty normal. Of course if I'm in a business setting, I would use California instead.

Edit: Spelling

On 9/28/2022 at 12:55 PM, Spaztecs said:

I did and I do call it Cali, or SoCal or NorCal.

COOL...glad to hear y'all could careless sounding like a total tools.

On 9/28/2022 at 10:40 PM, thespywhozaggedme said:

I thought his quote was that now that he got USC and UCLA he was the first conference to be in all four time zones. He already has a team in the mountain time zone. Western Nebraska is in the mountain time zone.

Western Nebraska is the same thing as Eastern Colorado and Eastern Wyoming. Not much of anything. Including people.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 9/29/2022 at 5:10 AM, Half-Man is All-Tyrant said:

COOL...glad to hear y'all could careless sounding like total tools.

Alternative theory is that Frisco has become so pretentious, precious and self-reverential (LOOK AT US!  WE'RE NEW YORK, LONDON AND PARIS ROLLED INTO ONE) that, at this point, they're pretty much begging for mocking and derision.  I remember the absolute shock that I received when I dared to mention to a Frisco colleague who was boasting about Frisco's cultural institution that nobody outside of Frisco considers the museum or symphony or ballet or theater scene (opera might be equal) in Frisco to be equal to Chicago or NYC.

On 9/29/2022 at 9:47 AM, RebelAlliance said:

Alternative theory is that Frisco has become so pretentious, precious and self-reverential (LOOK AT US!  WE'RE NEW YORK, LONDON AND PARIS ROLLED INTO ONE) that, at this point, they're pretty much begging for mocking and derision.  I remember the absolute shock that I received when I dared to mention to a Frisco colleague who was boasting about Frisco's cultural institution that nobody outside of Frisco considers the museum or symphony or ballet or theater scene (opera might be equal) in Frisco to be equal to Chicago or NYC.

Subjective.

Besides, I'm betting there are more and better gay cabarets in Frisco than anywhere else

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 9/23/2022 at 11:50 AM, AztecSU said:

The only school thats has experienced close to what USC/UCLA will experience is Hawaii. USC/UCLA are effectively on an island a country apart from some of their conf mates. 

Not really, West Virginia is currently on a similar island in the Big12, but somehow their travel cost run around $6 million a year.

On 9/30/2022 at 12:40 PM, e-zone99 said:

Not really, West Virginia is currently on a similar island in the Big12, but somehow their travel cost run around $6 million a year.

LA to Lincoln with a direct flight is about 3 hours. Pittsburgh to Dallas is about the same. Almost none of WVU conf mates are further west than Dallas except TTU and Baylor iirc. Every other school in the B10 is further east than Nebraska. I don’t think LA schools in the b10 is the same as WVU in the b12, if it is it’s a worse version of the same thing.

On 9/30/2022 at 2:10 PM, renoskier said:

what zone is the school in ?

That would be Central.  The number of people living in the Mtn time zone of Nebraska is less than 100k.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 9/30/2022 at 2:40 PM, e-zone99 said:

I have done the to trip to WV.  Fly commercial into Pittsburgh, then an hr drive to Morgantown.  For a fan, no big deal.  I know all the TCU squads go there via charter.

USC and UCLA's travel for all sports will depend on how each sport develops their schedule. It is possible some sport will split into 2 divisions, then do a round robin with cross over games.  In that case trips into the Eastern Time Zone will be fairly rare.  Even basketball could do something of that nature.  And some sports, like golf and track, meet/tournament based anyways.  It''s all in how they want to structure things.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Breaking news:  The University of California regents play hardball with the Big Ten.  Watch.  UCLA to remain in the PAC.   Only U$C will depart solo for the barren midwest.  

LOL