Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

Dodd is no fan of the Pac. From what I can tell, all of his life has been spent in the eastern third of the county. As examples, he attended college at Missouri State and Mizzou, his oldest son is a Mizzou grad and his younger son is currently attending Kansas. He doesn't mention any source for that article but if he's getting the info only from B1G commissioner Warren, it means little. Word is Warren's bosses don't share his enthusiasm for immediate expansion to 22, 24 or whatever number and Warren has already embarrassed them by essentially lying to Pac commissioner Kliackoff about a written agreement over the "alliance" being unnecessary because a gentlemen's agreement between two such longtime partner conferences should be enough.

On 9/23/2022 at 11:39 AM, Someone Else said:

Just to help the old guy out...

Nobody, and I mean nobody, who grew up in California refers to California as "Cali"...

and I'm not old as shit.  I just grew up here so I know that.

I did and I do call it Cali, or SoCal or NorCal.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 9/28/2022 at 3:44 PM, ph90702 said:

Stüart says that the PAC-12 should beg UCLA and USC to come back.

UCLA may not even be allowed to leave if this article is to be belived. Though I think they will still be able to move, if they're forced to stay going to be interesting to see what the BIG10 will do in response. The PAC simply could add SDSU.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10045879-uc-regent-on-ucla-leaving-pac-12-for-big-ten-all-options-are-on-the-table.amp.html

On 9/28/2022 at 7:26 PM, utgrizfan said:

Interesting, said it was 2 days on google

Screenshot_20220928-182558_Google.jpg

It's the same article.  Byline date 8/18.  

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Everyone here jokes about “flagship” institutions.  Cal Berkeley IS the flagship institution in the UC system.  UCLA can’t usurp the authority of the flagship.  They don’t have the authority or clout within the system. UCLA is literally second banana.  They are going nowhere without Cal… at this point I think they are huffing and puffing for a more sweetheart deal within the PAC, aka Boise, here.

On 9/28/2022 at 7:30 PM, doggystyleu2 said:

Can you imagine San Diego in the Pac would they ever win the game.

They just might be able to recruit a G5 level quarterback.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 9/28/2022 at 8:02 PM, Spaztecs said:

They just might be able to recruit a G5 level quarterback.

Nah, the coaches don't want that. Gotta keep it low so they can focus on running the ball.

Wyoming is the same. We just lucked out Peasely transferred here and can actually pass the ball above 50% of the time.

On 9/28/2022 at 6:05 PM, Dogbreath90 said:

Everyone here jokes about “flagship” institutions.  Cal Berkeley IS the flagship institution in the UC system.  UCLA can’t usurp the authority of the flagship.  They don’t have the authority or clout within the system. UCLA is literally second banana.  They are going nowhere without Cal… at this point I think they are huffing and puffing for a more sweetheart deal within the PAC, aka Boise, here.

There is no flagship of the UC system. That's just a lie those at Berkley tell themselves. UCLA has a better athletic program. UCLA and UCSD have better fundraising these days, and UCLA generally tops out as a higher rated academic institution on most of the rankings system. This was an enjoyable read. The regents gave the power to UCLA's chancellor to make the decision to leave. They exercised that power. The regents are threatening to void that contract and face the wrath of a breach of contract lawsuit, which is their right. I feel like this poster hasn't followed the UC Regents drama, at all, and has only listened to George Kliavkoff.

On 9/28/2022 at 7:42 PM, MrBug708 said:

There is no flagship of the UC system. That's just a lie those at Berkley tell themselves. UCLA has a better athletic program. UCLA and UCSD have better fundraising these days, and UCLA generally tops out as a higher rated academic institution on most of the rankings system. This was an enjoyable read. The regents gave the power to UCLA's chancellor to make the decision to leave. They exercised that power. The regents are threatening to void that contract and face the wrath of a breach of contract lawsuit, which is their right. I feel like this poster hasn't followed the UC Regents drama, at all, and has only listened to George Kliavkoff.

I almost think that going by Cal for athletics is a rare case where being the flagship may hurt them.

Berkeley is a prestigious, recognizable name worldwide. I’d imagine there are a fair number of fans that don’t even realize that Cal is Berkeley.

On 9/28/2022 at 7:42 PM, MrBug708 said:

Oh stop it.

I normally root for UCLA, and my sister is an alumni.  And Berkley, other than Frisco, is about my least favorite place in the country.  But sorry, Cal is the flagship of the UC system.  It's silly to argue that.

On 9/28/2022 at 3:28 PM, utgrizfan said:

Sounds like if the BIG10 can get more $$ from Streaming the PAC may be dead. I think if this does happen for sure Oregon, Washington and Stanford are gone, I'm thinking then it will either be ND (revist them since Stanford is now in the Conference) or Utah/Colorado (based on Big10 Commish saying he wants a Mountain Timezone team).

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pac-12-in-danger-of-eventual-collapse-as-big-ten-considers-further-expansion-big-12-interest-looms/

I thought his quote was that now that he got USC and UCLA he was the first conference to be in all four time zones. He already has a team in the mountain time zone. Western Nebraska is in the mountain time zone.

On 9/28/2022 at 9:17 PM, CPslograd said:

Oh stop it.

I normally root for UCLA, and my sister is an alumni.  And Berkley, other than Frisco, is about my least favorite place in the country.  But sorry, Cal is the flagship of the UC system.  It's silly to argue that.

It's not really an argument, it just is simple. The UC system does not recognize a flagship school. But functionally UCB and UCLA are co-flagships. Over the past decade or so, they've been referred to as such They are very similar in terms of size, selectivity, and stats of their incoming students. Plus UCLA can claim some advantages in that they have a medical and dental schools, which Berkeley does not. UCLA does not have a business school. About the last advantage Cal has is it's location to Sacramento and being the first, which is fine they can be the "First UC" school.

Here is an op-ed article from a politician about why UCLA leaving the PAC-12 is bad for her business. It even makes reference as to UCLA being a flagship. Which begs the point, if you have multiple flagships, do you really have one flagship?
https://sd09.senate.ca.gov/news/20220811-opinion-why-ucla-quitting-pac-12-hurts-student-athletes-and-cal

[quot
e]UCLA is one of the flagship campuses of the University of California, arguably the nation’s finest public university system. UCLA should be expected — and counted on — to put its students first and to factor how its decisions may impact sister UC campuses.[/quote]

The idea of "flagship universities" work for some of the other state university systems where there is a clear pecking order. Like in the UT system in Texas where one school is UT and the others are such quality schools such as UTEP, UT-Arlington, and UTSA.

So no argument from me. It's as clear as day.