Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

On 9/23/2022 at 7:54 AM, RebelAlliance said:

Kliavkov is a desperate moron.  What happens if the Cali BOR overturns the decision?  I think it might play out like this.  B1G immediately takes Stanford shutting Cal/UCLA out of their traditional local rivalries.  Then they take UW/OU triggering the Four Corners to the B12 and the end of the PAC.  The following Monday, the Cali Board Of Regents gets hit with a massive breach of contract lawsuit by the B1G and their media partners with potential damages in the 9-figures.  And oh yeah, Kliavkoff and whatever legal framework that remains of the PAC also get hit with a massive civil suit for tampering in a settled and signed contract.

I know that San Francisco and LA can't match the number of high end law firms headquartered in NYC or Chicago, but please tell me that there are some good corporate lawyers in Cali warning these fools about the legal shitstorm that will be heading their way.

They would just take the four California schools before they took the Oregon/UW schools. Cal would essentially have weaseled their way in. The flights would increase but with more coastal schools, you are looking at what, 3-4 trips to the Midwest vs 3-4 trips to the NW/Mountain region? Increased costs but not the end of the world.

My guess is the networks have already had their lawyers send over legal paperwork to the regents in case they do decide to blow this thing up, butt we are another 3-4 meetings until we even get that far.

I did like his concern that we would be having to spend more on coaching salaries in the B10. What a pitch, stay in our conference where you can continue to pay cheaply.

It's over. The UC board of regents will not be stopping UCLA from going to the B1G.

I have to wonder whether Cal may end up regretting its unsuccessful effort to make a mountain out of a molehill. Now the Bears not only look like a school which has mismanaged its athletic department for a couple decades but a school which rather than admit its shortcomings and expressing determination to overcome them was willing to play the victim card to try to right its sinking ship. Would the B1G actually want to add somebody like that? If I'm the B1G and want a piece of the Bay Area, I sit tight and work to get Stanford along with ND.

1 hour ago, Rebels18 said:

you gotta be old as shit because I hear locals refer to California as "Cali" constantly 

Just to help the old guy out...

Nobody, and I mean nobody, who grew up in California refers to California as "Cali"...

and I'm not old as shit.  I just grew up here so I know that.

2 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

It's over. The UC board of regents will not be stopping UCLA from going to the B1G.

I have to wonder whether Cal may end up regretting its unsuccessful effort to make a mountain out of a molehill. Now the Bears not only look like a school which has mismanaged its athletic department for a couple decades but a school which rather than admit its shortcomings and expressing determination to overcome them was willing to play the victim card to try to right its sinking ship. Would the B1G actually want to add somebody like that? If I'm the B1G and want a piece of the Bay Area, I sit tight and work to get Stanford along with ND.

Of course... everyone knew that the board of regents wasn't going to stop the move.  It was all for show.

On 9/23/2022 at 11:39 AM, Someone Else said:

Nobody, and I mean nobody, who grew up in California refers to California as "Cali"...

Thanks. I wasn't going to argue with the UNLV fan. I might be old but it isn't like I never speak with younger people. My son is 28 and never, ever refers to California as Cali, nor does his 27-year-old GF. Nor does my 22-year-old nephew who will be attending the SDSU game with us tomorrow.

I see it as similar to our state to the north. If you go there and pronounce it Or-eh-gahn, everybody will know you're a tourist because no locals pronounce it that way. Nor, for that matter, do any locals pronounce the state to our northeast Ne-vah-da unless they've only recently moved there.

On 9/23/2022 at 11:39 AM, Someone Else said:

I grew up in California also. When someone asked me where I was from, I would say Cali. Plenty of people here use Cali.

Edit: I'm not old as shit either.... LOL

On 9/23/2022 at 9:38 AM, Rebels18 said:

you gotta be old as shit because I hear locals refer to California as "Cali" constantly 

I think it just just depends on the crowd and who you're talking to. Myself and most of the people I know use Cali all the time. It's pretty normal. Of course if I'm in a business setting, I would use California instead.

Edit: Spelling

On 9/23/2022 at 12:56 PM, MrBug708 said:

They would just take the four California schools before they took the Oregon/UW schools. Cal would essentially have weaseled their way in. The flights would increase but with more coastal schools, you are looking at what, 3-4 trips to the Midwest vs 3-4 trips to the NW/Mountain region? Increased costs but not the end of the world.

My guess is the networks have already had their lawyers send over legal paperwork to the regents in case they do decide to blow this thing up, butt we are another 3-4 meetings until we even get that far.

I did like his concern that we would be having to spend more on coaching salaries in the B10. What a pitch, stay in our conference where you can continue to pay cheaply.

And all these concerns will magically vanish  the moment that Cal would get an invite.  At least from the perspective of the Regents they'll vanish.  Kliavkoff will still keep whining until he inevitably goes back to Vegas to run some cut rate, off-strip titty bar.  

On 9/23/2022 at 1:39 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Cal and the Regents have definitely done themselves more harm than good.  Aside from Cal not really bringing anything to the B1G table other than unsustainable debt, I can't imagine that the B1G powers that be have any desire to give the UC Regents two seats at their table.

On 9/23/2022 at 11:56 AM, MrBug708 said:

That was one of my favorite parts as well.  That is exactly why USC wanted to leave among more $. 

What a great way to try and lure Big 12 teams as well.  Come to the conference that isn't serious about spending money to stay competitive. 

It was overall a pathetic response from him.  He would have been better to decline and say good luck.   

6 hours ago, Sportzaddict said:

I grew up in California also. When someone asked me where I was from, I would say Cali. Plenty of people here use Cali.

Edit: I'm not old as shit either.... LOL

Surprising.  I honestly never hear anyone from here using that... mostly it's folks from back east that I hear use it. 

(But I believe you. cheers!)

On 9/23/2022 at 11:39 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

Wait until they share a league with your school.  Their egos won't be able to handle it

On 9/23/2022 at 9:44 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Things are apparently different in Frestucky than around the coast.

I grew up in the Bay Area. The majority of my family and relatives still live up there. I've also spent time in Oceanside and San Diego while in the military. I've been all over the state. It's not a "Frestucky" thing. 

Edit to add. 

On 9/24/2022 at 11:35 AM, Sportzaddict said:

I grew up in the Bay Area. The majority of my family and relatives still live up there. I've also spent time in Oceanside and San Diego also while in the military. I've been all over the state. It's not a "Frestucky" thing. 

Edit to add. 

I don’t get the big deal of what they’re arguing but I heard the reference plenty as well in my 10+ years living in the Bay Area.

v0icAvfW.jpg

On 9/23/2022 at 8:54 AM, RebelAlliance said:

Kliavkov is a desperate moron.  What happens if the Cali BOR overturns the decision?  I think it might play out like this.  B1G immediately takes Stanford shutting Cal/UCLA out of their traditional local rivalries.  Then they take UW/OU triggering the Four Corners to the B12 and the end of the PAC.  The following Monday, the Cali Board Of Regents gets hit with a massive breach of contract lawsuit by the B1G and their media partners with potential damages in the 9-figures.  And oh yeah, Kliavkoff and whatever legal framework that remains of the PAC also get hit with a massive civil suit for tampering in a settled and signed contract.

I know that San Francisco and LA can't match the number of high end law firms headquartered in NYC or Chicago, but please tell me that there are some good corporate lawyers in Cali warning these fools about the legal shitstorm that will be heading their way.

Being Gen X, and watching L.A. Law growing up, I'm gonna dispute the lack of high powered attorneys there.

To me I think California and such possibly pushed UCLA to join with USC going and funny part or sad part California doesn't see that. California needs to get their shit together on the athletic side of things really. But everyone knew BoR wasn't going to do anything and hell the governor still didn't show up at the meetings either lol

Sounds like if the BIG10 can get more $$ from Streaming the PAC may be dead. I think if this does happen for sure Oregon, Washington and Stanford are gone, I'm thinking then it will either be ND (revist them since Stanford is now in the Conference) or Utah/Colorado (based on Big10 Commish saying he wants a Mountain Timezone team).

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pac-12-in-danger-of-eventual-collapse-as-big-ten-considers-further-expansion-big-12-interest-looms/

On 9/28/2022 at 1:28 PM, utgrizfan said:

Sounds like if the BIG10 can get more $$ from Streaming the PAC may be dead. I think if this does happen for sure Oregon, Washington and Stanford are gone, I'm thinking then it will either be ND (revist them since Stanford is now in the Conference) or Utah/Colorado (based on Big10 Commish saying he wants a Mountain Timezone team).

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pac-12-in-danger-of-eventual-collapse-as-big-ten-considers-further-expansion-big-12-interest-looms/

Greed is going to see the end of college football as we know it.  No P12 sucks for the west coast.  Oh well.  At least the rich get richer.  I guess that's all that matters to these conferences.

On 9/28/2022 at 1:41 PM, alum93 said:

Greed is going to see the end of college football as we know it.  No P12 sucks for the west coast.  Oh well.  At least the rich get richer.  I guess that's all that matters to these conferences.

$$ talks, in the case of UCLA its going to be their savior for their poor handling of their athletics/budget