Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

Attendance should pick up in the coming weeks, but attendance was going to be brutal yesterday in that heat. Discounting the tickets would have helped maybe, but if you wanted to sit anywhere decent, it was like 50$ from the website, plus $30 for parking, just to sit in that heat. Lot of terrible decisions by admin, have been made in the past that have born fruit today. It'll be a brisk 90 next week, so I'll take my 7 year old and we shouldn't have to worry about heatstroke. And get to see a cool band at half time.

On 9/4/2022 at 11:53 AM, MrBug708 said:

Attendance should pick up in the coming weeks, but attendance was going to be brutal yesterday in that heat. Discounting the tickets would have helped maybe, but if you wanted to sit anywhere decent, it was like 50$ from the website, plus $30 for parking, just to sit in that heat. Lot of terrible decisions by admin, have been made in the past that have born fruit today. It'll be a brisk 90 next week, so I'll take my 7 year old and we shouldn't have to worry about heatstroke. And get to see a cool band at half time.

Why wasn't that a night game?

On 9/4/2022 at 9:41 AM, Cougar/Frog said:

The Rose Bowl is historic, but it isn't a good football venue compared to modern stadiums.  And it feels downright empty if there are less than 65k and even then feels off.  

UCLA should just start playing at the Carson soccer field that SUDS played at, so they can at least have a full stadium.   

The Rose Bowl game should move to SoFi.

An alternative would be to rebuild it like New Soldier Field.

On 9/4/2022 at 12:19 PM, MrBug708 said:

Because we are leaving the PAC-12

USC had the same issue with a 3pm kickoff. Both LA games were on the P12N. If that is going to be the case and nobody can get the channel then those games may as well have been a later kickoff. I'm sure some of it has to do with the conference getting back at the LA schools for leaving. 

2022_SOC_AnnounceB1G_Web_1920x1080_58_.jpg

My next dominoes based on the most recent happenings: 

Now that the CFP looks like it is going to expand to 12, I think we will see Notre Dame officially stay independent. 
Although they have had conversations with Oregon and Washington, I believe these are more exploratory in nature and ultimately serve to destabilize the Pac-12. Ultimately for financial reasons, the B1G decides to stay at 16. 
The Big 12 at this point has no leverage on the corner 4 schools and decides to stay at 12. 
The SEC and ACC also stand pat. 
I'm going back and forth as to whether the Pac-12 will stay at 10 or expand to 12, but my gut tells me ESPN is pushing for 12 (based on some comments by Burke Magnus). Therefore, the Pac-12 adds SDSU for the SoCal market and UNLV for the Vegas market. SMU is not selected as ESPN tells the Pac-12 to steer towards Vegas and leave their AAC property alone. 
The MW looks around but doesn't find anyone that moves the needle and decides to stay at 10.
Gonzaga is then faced with a further dilemma: with the Pac-12 and Big 12 stable at 12 and the MW and WCC both weakened, the Zags decide to join the Big East
The WCC elects to add Seattle to get back to 9 schools (at the behest of St. Mary's who would prefer to keep the league small). 
The WAC elects to stay at 10 members.

On 9/7/2022 at 3:58 PM, Cleopatra said:

Pac12 is so frustrating

we lost 2 schools in Los Angeles, it is a no brainer to add San Diego St. immediatly

instead they sit and did nothing!!

now the rumor is that the Big 12 wants San Diego St.

This is what they do, they sit around on their ass while other conferences make moves.  While several of the institutions are bickering about academics, prestige and all that bullshit they will end up screwing up as they always have.

I hope SDSU leaves for the BIG12 and takes the Arizonas and Utah with them. The rest of the PAC can ROT or join the MWC, watching the Elitist snobs in Boulder being forced to play in the same Conference as CSU would be hilarious.

Well B12 pres just said he wanted a presence on the West Coast, but Pac-12 is looking for teams that fit the profile and have to get all of them to agree on it. But to me San Diego St I don't think is really on their list. I think the chances of them sitting pat were more than adding someone

On 9/7/2022 at 10:31 PM, wolfpack1 said:

Well B12 pres just said he wanted a presence on the West Coast, but Pac-12 is looking for teams that fit the profile and have to get all of them to agree on it. But to me San Diego St I don't think is really on their list. I think the chances of them sitting pat were more than adding someone

At this point I think everyone will stay put unless the Big Ten poaches the Pac Ten again. 
At that point I’d imagine the four corners are gone.

On 9/7/2022 at 10:37 PM, utgrizfan said:

This is what they do, they sit around on their ass while other conferences make moves.  While several of the institutions are bickering about academics, prestige and all that bullshit they will end up screwing up as they always have.

I hope SDSU leaves for the BIG12 and takes the Arizonas and Utah with them. The rest of the PAC can ROT or join the MWC, watching the Elitist snobs in Boulder being forced to play in the same Conference as CSU would be hilarious.

SDSU is a good school in a great location.  BUT except for the PAC, will not be invited to join another P5 conference.  BIG12 has far superior options right now.  Saavy?

No, the Big 12 does not have "superior options."

Their options are SDSU, Boise, UNLV, Fresno, and Colorado State. Clearly, SDSU is the most preferable of that group. It won't be long now. With that, neither the Big12 or the Pac Whatever is what they used to be.

On 9/8/2022 at 8:41 AM, fanhood said:

No, the Big 12 does not have "superior options."

Their options are SDSU, Boise, UNLV, Fresno, and Colorado State. Clearly, SDSU is the most preferable of that group. It won't be long now. With that, neither the Big12 or the Pac Whatever is what they used to be.

Superior options are the PAC schools how ever they really aren't that superior to the top 3 MWC teams. But I am guessing the Big 12 really doesn't wanna add more G5 schools. They already get flack for that.

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

Certainly the CFP expanding will cool expansion moves. Every conf, even G5s, got a passive value increase with that decision. Which means a 10 team PAC will generate more games of interest later in the year because their champ is all but guaranteed a spot in the CFP, same with the B12.

However, it is also true that everyone not in the P2 needs to find a way to compete in recruiting and for opportunities to bump viewership across the board. For these reasons I still think the B12 ultimately becomes the next "Super Conference", the PAC has too many members waiting for a B10 invite. The ACC is chopped liver the moment their GOR is up. I think the B12 ends up with Louisville and maybe one other ACC school (Pitt?) eventually as well as some PAC schools. The remnants of the PAC merge with the MW or absorbs the MW all together. The remnants of the ACC and AAC become like the football side of the old Big East. So my long term prediction is P2>Super12>PAC/MW=ACC/AAC. . 

4 corner AD lit the poor Big 12 commissioner up.

Said one “four corners” Pac-12 ADs: “I have no idea what he’s talking about. He just continues to throw stuff out to disrupt. Seems like some level of desperation.”

On 9/8/2022 at 10:06 AM, Reverend said:

4 corner AD lit the poor Big 12 commissioner up.

Said one “four corners” Pac-12 ADs: “I have no idea what he’s talking about. He just continues to throw stuff out to disrupt. Seems like some level of desperation.”

He's using the media to keep the narrative down for the PAC. It's a smart play at this point honestly. Now if the B12 adds SDSU/BSU it will be painted as a coup and another sign the PAC is dying. 

Gotta wonder about Canzano.

The Big 12’s Yormark was also asked on Wednesday about his conference’s media rights negotiations. There’s some confusion about whether the Big 12 is — or isn’t — in the exclusive negotiating window.

Uh...no there's not.  They're not in the exclusive negotiating window. Both sides have said as much.  And the anonymous AD is interesting, too.  Since when do any of these guys give anonymous quotes?

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 9/8/2022 at 11:11 AM, AztecSU said:

He's using the media to keep the narrative down for the PAC. It's a smart play at this point honestly. Now if the B12 adds SDSU/BSU it will be painted as a coup and another sign the PAC is dying. 

I used to think the PAC would take SDSU to prevent the Big 12 from getting into PAC territory and the Big 12 would do the same with SMU.

Now I just don't think the PAC schools give a shit and are looking at the exits while keeping their poker face.

The PAC was supposed to announce a deal right after Labor Day or at least give an update according to Wilner. If something isn't announced by the end of next week then either the deal is worse than they thought or it's more stream focused with a new partner like Amazon.

18 minutes ago, Reverend said:

I used to think the PAC would take SDSU to prevent the Big 12 from getting into PAC territory and the Big 12 would do the same with SMU.

Now I just don't think the PAC schools give a shit and are looking at the exits while keeping their poker face.

The PAC was supposed to announce a deal right after Labor Day or at least give an update according to Wilner. If something isn't announced by the end of next week then either the deal is worse than they thought or it's more stream focused with a new partner like Amazon.

All my sources say a December announcement and I have moles everywhere!