Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

On 8/30/2022 at 5:37 PM, Reverend said:

I don’t understand the line movement, the PAC will exist (‘survive’) regardless, it’s a 100 year old brand with some credits.  It’ll just be a shell of itself and relegated to the kiddie table.  Even the MWC will ‘survive’, it’ll just look completely different.  The west geography is still so huge you need at least two conferences out there to cover the number of teams.  The continuation of the PAC was never in question, it’s just dead as we knew it.

On 8/30/2022 at 7:55 PM, Reverend said:

If I'm not 80% sure I don't say. Learned that lesson the hard way and they still don't shut up about it.

Last I heard the PAC teams didn't bring enough value except Washington they like and Stanford would of got in for obvious reasons. Academics and Notre Dame.

As for the Big 12 and the PAC, unlike the Big 10 they have a limited number they can invite. The Big 12 is 16 and the PAC is 12 if I remember correctly. Has nothing to do with the Big 12 being stronger which I have always admitted they were from top to bottom (PAC has the more valuable schools though)  It has to do with time slots on network TV. Either way they lose money on any add just like the Big 12 most money on their 4 new schools.

But I haven't heard nothing and I do mean nothing in weeks. The last thing I head about anything realignment related to the PAC or MWC was UTSA and SMU talking to the MWC. That had to of been 2 weeks ago.

There’s this perception out there, based on comments I’m reading here…and perpetuated by people like Wilner that X school is just saying yup or nope (like Ohio State re:expansion in your tweet quote)…that’s not how this works.  Ohio State is allowed to have feelings and even try to work the back channels but they are just one school.  If they tried to go to Minnesota and say we don’t want any more western schools added because they’re dilutive so it’s not happening Minnesota will tell them to go pound sand.  I guarantee that maybe outside of Rutgers and MD who still may be partial members that any other school would give Ohio state the finger if they tried to to sway things in a way that didn’t improve things for the collective.  Same with the SEC/Florida..etc.  Of course where the water gets muddy is with State politics/litigation but that’s a different animal.

On 8/30/2022 at 11:27 PM, mugtang said:

"I want to leave the jersey in a better place than I found it." - Jay Norvell

Proceeds to raid Nevada’s roster 

First Day frosh-yr (1985) at CSU-Diego in Macro Econ:  "There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Y'all got what you pd for ¿No?

On 8/30/2022 at 8:39 PM, utenation said:

Nobody wants to see your moves bro..  BTW, the good stuff is taught on the streets.

Breakin Jean Claude Van Damme GIFs | Tenor

idk man...i like to think that someone out there wants to watch an overweight...bald middle aged father of 3...poledance wearing only a g string...but to your point...ive yet to find one...lol

New Mexico really really sucks. Otherwise they would be an ideal Big 12 addition.

Cougars fight for Dear ol' UofH

For our alma mater cheer

Fight for Houston University

For victory is near

When the going get so rough and tough

We never worry, CAUSE WE GOT THE STUFF!

So fight! Fight! Fight for Red and White!

And we will go to victory!

On 8/31/2022 at 7:53 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

There’s this perception out there, based on comments I’m reading here…and perpetuated by people like Wilner that X school is just saying yup or nope (like Ohio State re:expansion in your tweet quote)…that’s not how this works.  Ohio State is allowed to have feelings and even try to work the back channels but they are just one school.  If they tried to go to Minnesota and say we don’t want any more western schools added because they’re dilutive so it’s not happening Minnesota will tell them to go pound sand.  I guarantee that maybe outside of Rutgers and MD who still may be partial members that any other school would give Ohio state the finger if they tried to to sway things in a way that didn’t improve things for the collective.  Same with the SEC/Florida..etc.  Of course where the water gets muddy is with State politics/litigation but that’s a different animal.

I think it's a little more nuanced than that.  Yes, the B1G is based on equal sharing of revenue and power, and Ohio State is just one school.  It, however, is the one school that has been writing the checks for two decades that a lot of the other schools have been cashing.  Those schools are going to listen carefully to their position.  There's hard power and soft power, and I think that Ohio State (and to a lesser degree Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin) have and exercise their soft power to steer the discussion within the B1G.  That being said, I've never heard that any in that group have ever had the slightest desire to become some Texas style bully and cancer within the conference.

Bringing up Minnesota as a perfect example.  Minnesota along with its alumni and the powers that be in the state were vehemently opposed to forming a Big Ten hockey conference.  The two drivers for it were Ohio State and Wisconsin.  At the end of the day, Minnesota went into the room and did as they were asked to do. 

On 9/4/2022 at 8:14 AM, NorCalCoug said:

Nice choice BigTen!  😂 

The Rose Bowl is historic, but it isn't a good football venue compared to modern stadiums.  And it feels downright empty if there are less than 65k and even then feels off.  

UCLA should just start playing at the Carson soccer field that SUDS played at, so they can at least have a full stadium.   

The Rose Bowl game should move to SoFi.

An alternative would be to rebuild it like New Soldier Field.

Bye Bye, Best of luck! !! May the MWC survive, and prosper

On 9/4/2022 at 8:14 AM, NorCalCoug said:

Nice choice BigTen!  😂 

You think Angelenos are going to go park at the golf course and show up to watch the Bruins play Bowling Green when it's a 100 degrees, before school is in session?  No chance.

I grant that once proud Bruin football has fallen to unimaginable levels, but given the circumstances, no one was going to show up for that game.  They could have had Cade McKnown, JJ Stokes, and DeShaun Foster out there and people wouldn't have showed up.

I still think if the rumored playoff expansion is true, and the Pac makes concessions to the money bell cows of the conference that the LA schools might stay.  I really do.