Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

On 8/12/2022 at 5:26 PM, Someone Else said:

So you and I pretty much agree.  And if you think the PAC will struggle due to less $$, what do you think will happen with the MWC and everyone else below the PAC??? 

Universities are going to rethink their business plans when it comes to athletics... we are going into a completely different era.

Welcome to our world  :coffeecomputer:

On 8/13/2022 at 12:45 AM, AztecSU said:

So you think schools with billion dollar endowments doing Billions in research changed conf’s for 10’s of millions for sports and a few more high level recruits? USC didn’t need b10 to recruit. No. They did it for the additional billions they get when they can schmooze the govt in DC, and hyper wealthy alums in NYC and Chicago every few years. 

It’s happening right before your eyes.  The college game is forever changed.  USC and UCLA are making the move to compete athletically and financially.  Why do you think they are uprooting years of status quo?  To play Minnesota?  It is 100% about money and recruiting of players over a 4 year period.  It will become the new norm. 

On 8/13/2022 at 8:30 PM, Gonzagafan2021 said:

if they wanted to I think they would've already done it

Maybe, there is still time to make the decision and nothing will be done until the $$ deal is finished. ESPN losing the BIG10 was a good thing for the PAC and hopefully they take advantage (granted past history has shown they won't but who knows).

Personally I'd rather see them go after SDSU and Fresno. Gives you 2 California schools to replace the 2 that left and as much of the market as you can get. After that with the recent shenanigans I could see ESPN attempting to lure some BIG12 teams to join the PAC to mess with FOX as much as possible.

On 8/13/2022 at 10:17 PM, utgrizfan said:

Maybe, there is still time to make the decision and nothing will be done until the $$ deal is finished. ESPN losing the BIG10 was a good thing for the PAC and hopefully they take advantage (granted past history has shown they won't but who knows).

Personally I'd rather see them go after SDSU and Fresno. Gives you 2 California schools to replace the 2 that left and as much of the market as you can get. After that with the recent shenanigans I could see ESPN attempting to lure some BIG12 teams to join the PAC to mess with FOX as much as possible.

That would be hilarious if the PAC actually picked off a few Big 12 schools. The Big 12 board heroes would lose their minds.

On 8/12/2022 at 11:08 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

The biggest rumor I’ve heard in a while is that Cal is headed to the Big 10.  Perplexing to me if true.

Only if the Regents have somehow found a way to force Cal to bound at the hip with UCLA.  Of the remaining four that the B1G might look at (UW, UO, Stanford, Cal), Cal is clearly the fourth of the four. 

On 8/14/2022 at 3:30 PM, The Brent Vigen Diet said:

That would be hilarious if the PAC actually picked off a few Big 12 schools. The Big 12 board heroes would lose their minds.

Doubt it... it would give the remaining school another $80 million plus in exit fees per school.   Pac exit fee $0 per vs Big12 exit of fees of at least $80 million per...

On 8/15/2022 at 11:27 AM, since1670 said:

The B1G would make other conferences look pathetic in academics, research, and prestige if it added USC, OCLA, Cal, and Stanford. It would clearly be superior.

According to Tony Altimore the top 10 academic FBS schools (an average of both US News and WSJ/Times Rankings are:

1- 10: #1 Stanford, #2 Duke, #3 Northwestern, #4 Vanderbilt, #5 USC, #6 UCLA, #6 Michigan, #6 Notre Dame, #9 Cal, #10 North Carolina

11-20: #11 Virginia, #12 Florida, #13 Wake Forest, #14 Illinois, #15 Boston College, #16 Purdue, #17 Texas, #18 Wisconsin, #19  Washington, #19 U of Miami

21-30: #21 Georgia Tech, #22 Maryland, #23 Pitt, #24 Texas A&M, #25 Ohio St, #26 Minnesota, #27 Michigan St, #28 Indiana, #29 Syracuse, #30 Va Tech

You can see why the Big10 is also eyeing the ACC for future expansion. 

On 8/13/2022 at 1:12 PM, dshawfan said:

@Fowl@utenation

Talks about a President’s POV vs us common folks’ view. A bit on Utah’s move to the PAC and what it meant to the school. Gets G5 specific at 24:00 min mark. 

In that G5 section there's a pretty good summary of the UC vs Cal State division; for those who may be curious about it. 

On 8/15/2022 at 12:47 PM, e-zone99 said:

According to Tony Altimore the top 10 academic FBS schools (an average of both US News and WSJ/Times Rankings are:

1- 10: #1 Stanford, #2 Duke, #3 Northwestern, #4 Vanderbilt, #5 USC, #6 UCLA, #6 Michigan, #6 Notre Dame, #9 Cal, #10 North Carolina

11-20: #11 Virginia, #12 Florida, #13 Wake Forest, #14 Illinois, #15 Boston College, #16 Purdue, #17 Texas, #18 Wisconsin, #19  Washington, #19 U of Miami

21-30: #21 Georgia Tech, #22 Maryland, #23 Pitt, #24 Texas A&M, #25 Ohio St, #26 Minnesota, #27 Michigan St, #28 Indiana, #29 Syracuse, #30 Va Tech

You can see why the Big10 is also eyeing the ACC for future expansion. 

I'm thinking the addition of Rutgers and Maryland, while good academic schools in their own right, makes eyeballs and TV markets a significantly higher priority than academics.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:27 AM, since1670 said:

The B1G would make other conferences look pathetic in academics, research, and prestige if it added USC, OCLA, Cal, and Stanford. It would clearly be superior.

I think the whole academic value of conferences is overrated. But, yeah do a three hour academic contest pitting the best of the BIG academics head to head against Alabama vs Auburn football and see how the ratings compare. I suppose I look at conferences as a former athlete. I really didn't care about the academic standing of an opponent, I looked at their athletic success. And I'm sure that a fan of any collegiate football program would value a win over 'Bama in football well above one against Cal or Stanford any day of the week, academic standing be damned.

These "academic" institutions are still paying their players (now it is legal) and don't give a damn what their IQ or GPA is as long as they can make their football and BB programs better. With unlimited transfers coming, fewer will get through school with a degree. The whole academics thing is just a cover for the fact that big time universities use athletics to make them more attractive to potential students while pocketing tons of money in the process. Paying them now while not actually requiring them to get an education allows these institutions to feel better about treating their "student athletes" like livestock.

At some point in the not to distant future you will see those academic institutions in the BIG partnering will some of the academic dregs in the SEC because the money will be better and they won't have to share it with as many as they are now. If your football program isn't in the top 40-50 it won't matter a whit how many Noble Prize winners  or academic scholars you have produced, you won't be in the club.

On 8/16/2022 at 7:40 PM, azgreg said:

Mistake?   Hmmmm.  They aren't leaving any meat on the table, just gravy.  Yeah, $40 million is a lot, but it's not like they're headed for skid row.  Sometimes you trade gravy for other things.  They know what they can get paid in the B1G, but they also have other priorities.  Anybody taking $60 million without sacrificing their other priorities isn't necessarily making a mistake.

On 8/16/2022 at 8:40 PM, azgreg said:

Thats 60 million for football.  They get a cut from the ACC.

They've been leaving money on the table for decades.  They are trading it for independence.  Thats how much they value it.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.