Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

On 8/9/2022 at 1:29 PM, Aztec1984 said:

I wonder how they would feel about SDSU if the BIG12 were to come calling. Cal fans should just shut up. They are bottom feeders in the PAC in FB and BB while rocking the conference's worst debt.

They need to play the academic superiority bit in order to compensate for the lack of athletic superiority.

On 8/9/2022 at 2:37 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

(Btw, I think the Cal fans are nuts. While acknowledging that their football program hasn't exactly been impressive, they equate themselves to 2013 Rutgers which got into the B1G strictly because of location and AAU membership.)

Cal fans are wrong.  It's an apples to oranges comparison.  When Rutgers and Maryland got their golden tickets, the name of the game was getting the BTN onto the base package cable boxes in the DC and NYC regions.  Today, it's about how many eyeballs you're going to attract across a variety of platforms, national branding and large numbers of alumni in as many major markets as possible.  The only box that Cal checks is the last and arguable least important.

On 8/9/2022 at 1:29 PM, Aztec1984 said:

I wonder how they would feel about SDSU if the BIG12 were to come calling. Cal fans should just shut up. They are bottom feeders in the PAC in FB and BB while rocking the conference's worst debt.

You gotta feel for them a little, though.  They've not only seen their best basketball player leave for SDSU and UCSB in back to back years.  But now are about to see UCLA and USC leave them after nearly a century of alignment.  Life's rough for Cal fans lately.

Wholly deserved, too.

B1G deal seems to be crystalizing: 500M from FOX for the noon game and a package of games for FS1 etc, 380M from CBS for the 3:30 game and 350M from NBC for the primetime game.  That gets them to 1.23B.  Add basketball and the BTN along with bowl, playoff and NCAA tournament money, and I think they get over or damned close to the magic $1.6B a year figure.

goodtobeking-theking.gif

This is just about what NBC wanted to a game to connect with Notre Dame games at home so they could have a double header on some Saturday's now.

With ESPN they lost their early afternoon window which they usually put the B10 games on, they could fill with SEC games but the schools have said especially early in the season they don't like playing early in the afternoon because of heat and such they would have. 

FOX will still have some piece of the Big 12 when that comes up I don't see the without it. 

Now this doesn't mean either that CBS or NBC or such wont also bid on Pac-12 games either or Big 12 when that comes up either. Now if CBS is happy to have college football in that one spot like they did with SEC then they could be done and same with NBC which if they are done, it does leave less traditional suitors for Pac-12 and I don't know how wild Pac-12 would be with games on Amazon or Apple, but now the interesting part with ESPN not having anything with Big10 now, that does leave holes for their b-ball coverage which in my opinion was heavy on B10 I think. 

I do think now a new little wrinkle has developed now with ESPN not being involved with B10 when their new contract comes up. 

On 8/9/2022 at 10:35 AM, Wyobraska said:

Are they playing 2nd fiddle to ND though?  It could be a mutually beneficial relationship.  Having ND be the lead in game to your night NBC game is a great lead in and would be good for ND and the B1G.  

It appears that they're not going to.  The NBC deal is reported to be for a set primetime game each week, so they won't be shoulder games to pump up ND's value.  Given the value being thrown around, though, it looks like ND just might get there $75M anyways, which will keep them independent for the foreseeable future.  Interestingly, it locks Notre Dame out of ever having home games at night in primetime, as the B1G isn't going to switch with them and then compete against its 3:30 game on CBS.

On 8/9/2022 at 2:34 PM, RebelAlliance said:

It appears that they're not going to.  The NBC deal is reported to be for a set primetime game each week, so they won't be shoulder games to pump up ND's value.  Given the value being thrown around, though, it looks like ND just might get there $75M anyways, which will keep them independent for the foreseeable future.

Going to be opposite I think, they will use Notre Dame games to pump up their primetime game I think

On 8/9/2022 at 4:36 PM, wolfpack1 said:

Going to be opposite I think, they will use Notre Dame games to pump up their primetime game I think

So, I wonder how the games will be decided.  Do the three networks alternate first, second and third picks each week?

Apparently, the B1G offered espn table scraps (a package of second and third tier games) for $380M, which sounds like a go away poison pill from the start.

It'll be interesting to see Gary Danielson do a full 1984 and smoothly transition from the world's biggest SEC homer to a B1G homer.

On 8/9/2022 at 4:39 PM, RebelAlliance said:

It'll be interesting to see Gary Danielson do a full 1984 and smoothly transition from the world's biggest SEC homer to a B1G homer.

Well, he grew up and lives in Michigan, went to Purdue and his son played at NW....assuming he doesnt retire soon (he's 70).

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 8/9/2022 at 2:39 PM, RebelAlliance said:

So, I wonder how the games will be decided.  Do the three networks alternate first, second and third picks each week?

Apparently, the B1G offered espn table scraps (a package of second and third tier games) for $380M, which sounds like a go away poison pill from the start.

Well FOX gets first choice of what games they want, but if they didn't do the whole  Tier 2, and 3 thing, CBS and NBC could alternate who gets first picks for the weeks

On 8/9/2022 at 8:50 AM, namssa said:

There are other suiters besides ESPN.  It was reported that Apple and Amazon were going after BIG10 and lost out.  They will be motivated to get a large share of the PAC12 content driving the price up (at least for Tier 2 and 3 rights).  CBS still has CBS Sports and more time slots needing more content.   Add in that TNT/TBS wants to get back into college football also.  Fox and FS1 is said to be interested in BIG12 since they lost out on SEC.  Lots of players still looking for content.  With ESPN getting shut out of BIG10, they CANNOT afford to lose out on PAC12.  All this did was drive UP the price not down.   Then you have to consider that PAC12 is the ONLY late night option, they are actually in very good position to get a pretty good deal IMO.

Incorrect.  There are other Mountain and Pacific time zone schools that can play late-night games, including BYU, most of the MW, and uh, USC and UCLA.

On 8/9/2022 at 12:31 PM, Bruininthebay said:

ESPN and the Pac 10 2.0 seem to be inevitably heading toward each other; there will probably be Pac 10 games on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU in the fourth window with a start time after 7:30 PM PDT/PST.   Maybe an NBC sub package for a Window 2 or Window 3 game in weeks there isn't a Notre Dame home game but I doubt NBC will do a twelve week Pac 10 2.0 'game of the week'.  

The Pac 10 can include an equity stake in a deal with ESPN (the conference now owns 100% of the network) so the deals value can be big.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a total = value that is fairly large because ESPN would both purchase a portion of the network, which also increases the paper value of both the SEC and ACC networks that ESPN already owns.  ESPN will probably renegotiate with the ACC after the Pac 12 deal is completed.

Once the Pac 10 has a deal with ESPN they could add SDSU and another MW university but I think they will want to wait before expanding in case USC and/or UCLA decide to come back or to benefit from the timing of the expansion the most.

The negative effect is ESPN probably won't be very interested in the Big 12 because the ACC and SEC play at the same times as the Big 12 and Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma overlap most of the Big 12 media markets  CBS probably gets the Big 12 rights but Fox might instead because they want Big 12 programming instead of Mountain West programming on Fox Sports.

How does this affect the Mountain West's next tv deal? the issue is whether Fox and/or CBS want to retain the Mountain West rights.  I'd guess that a deal between CBS and the Big 12 for the primary rights would cause CBS sports to have less interest in the mountain west while a deal with Fox having primary rights to the Big 12 probably causes CBS to be very interested in the Mountain West and Fox still needing Window 4 programming to compete with the  Pac 10 2.0 on ESPN.

Hopefully this results in a new hundred page thread here that isn't about UCLA going to the Big 10...

Except that the B1G contract doesn't change the negotiations between ESPN and the PAC. ESPN wasn't trying to fill "late night" games with the B1G, the PAC wasn't competing against the B1G for an ESPN contract. The games ESPN is losing, the games that the B1G has largely played on ESPN, are the 12 noon and 3:30 PM EST games -- and it was those time periods, particularly the noon ET games that ESPN was trying to fill with their B1G contact.

Instead, the fact that ESPN/ABC need noon games for those networks actually helps the Big 12 -- as they have plenty of schools that can (and do) play in those time slots. And I can't see the PAC wanting to add 9 AM (local, noon ET) games to their contracts -- particularly since an extra few million they might get in TV rights would be lost in ticket sales/concessions/parking/etc of fans that don't want to get up in time for a 9 AM Saturday starting time. I think this makes ESPN more interested in Big 12 games to fill empty early Saturday slots, so they don't have to fill those games with AAC (or maybe a new MWC contract), and it doesn't change their plans to get the PAC contract for late night ET games.

I think what will be intesting is how much Apple TV and Amazon might increase a PAC contract. The one major issue I see is that Amazon or Apple are likely an "add on" to an ESPN contract. Neither Amazon nor Apple (particularly Apple with the relatively low subscription numbers) provide any quality exposure -- it is likely, in terms of viewership numbers -- roughly equivalent to something like FS2 or ESPNNews, particularly for games where most of the country won't think to go to Apple or Amazon to watch a game rather than going to bed. To me, the question will be how much more the PAC can get from a joint ESPN/Apple or Amazon deal as opposed to an ESPN exclusive deal.

4 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Jon Wilner said on Sunday he's heard that multiple Pac presidents/chancellors have expressed reservations of letting in any MWC schools due to academics. From perusing the Cal message board this morning, it's apparent that the majority of fans of that school seem to think that the conference should stand pat until its next TV deal expires because at that time, the B1G will probably offer both Cal and Stanford in order to emulate the acquisition of USC and UCLA. If that happened it might break the academics deadlock and SDSU and some other school for the unwashed masses might be let in but aren't you a bit concerned about where the Pac is headed?

(Btw, I think the Cal fans are nuts. While acknowledging that their football program hasn't exactly been impressive, they equate themselves to 2013 Rutgers which got into the B1G strictly because of location and AAU membership.)

The majority of fans posting on fan boards know little to nothing about what will or won't happen.  

On 8/9/2022 at 1:32 PM, FresnoFacts said:

They need to play the academic superiority bit in order to compensate for the lack of athletic superiority.

Hell, if the student body wants to pay off their stadium dept more power to them. I expect the rest of the PAC members would allow them to exit for a SDSU entrance in a New York minute. Hell, most Cal students cannot even define what a female is or what restroom they are supposed to use nowadays. My "lousy" CSU degree taught me both of those, and much more.

On 8/9/2022 at 1:42 PM, jdgaucho said:

You gotta feel for them a little, though.  They've not only seen their best basketball player leave for SDSU and UCSB in back to back years.  But now are about to see UCLA and USC leave them after nearly a century of alignment.  Life's rough for Cal fans lately.

Wholly deserved, too.

Hell, Bradley liked SDSU so much he stayed for his super senior year. Yet, WSU is still our best PAC farm team, we got Xavier Thames and Malachi Flynn from them.

On 8/9/2022 at 5:34 PM, RebelAlliance said:

It appears that they're not going to.  The NBC deal is reported to be for a set primetime game each week, so they won't be shoulder games to pump up ND's value.  Given the value being thrown around, though, it looks like ND just might get there $75M anyways, which will keep them independent for the foreseeable future.  Interestingly, it locks Notre Dame out of ever having home games at night in primetime, as the B1G isn't going to switch with them and then compete against its 3:30 game on CBS.

That's actually a really interesting point: ND will never have a home game on NBC in primetime for the 7 years of the B1G contract. Smart move by the B1G. 

I dont get the CAL mentality at all, frankly i think they're retarded. Some scuttlebutt on other forums are talking about if the BIG10 expands chances are they would take Utah over CAL. Also visiting a few BIG10 team message boards theyre are few (at least vocal) people wishing for the same. Stanford really is the only Cali school remaining I could see the BIG10 entertaining and that's primarily to dangle the carrot for Notre Dame.

On 8/9/2022 at 7:08 PM, raadsel said:

Except that the B1G contract doesn't change the negotiations between ESPN and the PAC. ESPN wasn't trying to fill "late night" games with the B1G, the PAC wasn't competing against the B1G for an ESPN contract. The games ESPN is losing, the games that the B1G has largely played on ESPN, are the 12 noon and 3:30 PM EST games -- and it was those time periods, particularly the noon ET games that ESPN was trying to fill with their B1G contact.

Instead, the fact that ESPN/ABC need noon games for those networks actually helps the Big 12 -- as they have plenty of schools that can (and do) play in those time slots. And I can't see the PAC wanting to add 9 AM (local, noon ET) games to their contracts -- particularly since an extra few million they might get in TV rights would be lost in ticket sales/concessions/parking/etc of fans that don't want to get up in time for a 9 AM Saturday starting time. I think this makes ESPN more interested in Big 12 games to fill empty early Saturday slots, so they don't have to fill those games with AAC (or maybe a new MWC contract), and it doesn't change their plans to get the PAC contract for late night ET games.

I think what will be intesting is how much Apple TV and Amazon might increase a PAC contract. The one major issue I see is that Amazon or Apple are likely an "add on" to an ESPN contract. Neither Amazon nor Apple (particularly Apple with the relatively low subscription numbers) provide any quality exposure -- it is likely, in terms of viewership numbers -- roughly equivalent to something like FS2 or ESPNNews, particularly for games where most of the country won't think to go to Apple or Amazon to watch a game rather than going to bed. To me, the question will be how much more the PAC can get from a joint ESPN/Apple or Amazon deal as opposed to an ESPN exclusive deal.

Just a guess, but I don't think that CU, UU, ASU, and AU would bitch a ton about playing that early game.  Frankly, a 1PM start in the Mtn time zone is prime football time.  The content is there.  If not, ESPN tells a couple of New 12 teams to pack their bags and head west.  Just as likely as the four corner schools heading east, more so actually.

On 8/9/2022 at 9:41 PM, Headbutt said:

Just a guess, but I don't think that CU, UU, ASU, and AU would bitch a ton about playing that early game.  Frankly, a 1PM start in the Mtn time zone is prime football time.  The content is there.  If not, ESPN tells a couple of New 12 teams to pack their bags and head west.  Just as likely as the four corner schools heading east, more so actually.

I'd love to see some more PAC games played earlier in the day personally. Would be a nice change of pace.