Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

On 8/4/2022 at 2:33 PM, utenation said:

Early on, I think all the presidents believed and supported Scott. They hired him.  The new contract was a big pay increase.

There were a lot of promises about more revenue with the P12 network.  Once presidents and AD’s saw the P&L’s not matching up with expectations along with distribution problems, the smiles turned upside down. 

The “blank check” MO of the conference office staff being completely top heavy and bloated was the last straw I think. 

So I get being a supporter in say 2013, but not 2019. It didn’t take rocket science to see gross and net rev were way out of line.  

He had quite a few head scratchers in there.

On the Pac-12's income gap compared to other Power 5 conferences:

"Conference income is a tiny part of everybody’s income," Crow said about the Pac-12 income gap compared to other Power 5 conferences. "It’s just a piece of everybody’s income. You have your own advertising, conference income, donor income, athletic revenue themselves, other sources of income. From the conference perspective, we’re up five- or sixfold from where we were. We’re continuing to accelerate the network. We’re not producing out of our television contract quite what the others are producing at the moment. Theirs came up and were renewed after ours was put in place. I don’t have any long-term concerns. There might be some issues on the short run.

On 8/4/2022 at 3:41 PM, Wyobraska said:

"Conference income is a tiny part of everybody’s income," Crow said about the Pac-12 income gap compared to other Power 5 conferences. "It’s just a piece of everybody’s income. You have your own advertising, conference income, donor income, athletic revenue themselves, other sources of income. From the conference perspective, we’re up five- or sixfold from where we were. We’re continuing to accelerate the network. We’re not producing out of our television contract quite what the others are producing at the moment. Theirs came up and were renewed after ours was put in place. I don’t have any long-term concerns. There might be some issues on the short run.

Let's just say I wouldn't want this guy as Utah's President. Not to mention, ASU's entire football staff got dissected except for Edwards in the latest recruiting violations. But I guess Herm knew nothing about it. Yeah, because a control freak like him loses details all the time. Crow kept Herm and threw everyone else under the bus. 

On 8/4/2022 at 1:33 PM, utenation said:

Early on, I think all the presidents believed and supported Scott. They hired him.  The new contract was a big pay increase.

There were a lot of promises about more revenue with the P12 network.  Once presidents and AD’s saw the P&L’s not matching up with expectations along with distribution problems, the smiles turned upside down. 

The “blank check” MO of the conference office staff being completely top heavy and bloated was the last straw I think. 

So I get being a supporter in say 2013, but not 2019. It didn’t take rocket science to see gross and net rev were way out of line.  

Tom Hansen was outdated and garbage, so anything would have looked better. Or not.

On 8/4/2022 at 5:07 PM, MrBug708 said:

Tom Hansen was outdated and garbage, so anything would have looked better. Or not.

Yep. I think payouts were about 12-15 mill per year and unequal rev sharing if I remember right without looking.

On 8/4/2022 at 1:02 PM, Gonzagafan2021 said:

Pigs will fly before Minnesota joins the B12

Take half the media package money.

Give up the B1G academic consortium.

Lose their conference affiliation for their benchmark sport (hint: it's hockey).

All this to pal around with schools like Cincitucky, Texas Tech and Houston.

giphy.gif

On 8/4/2022 at 6:38 PM, shizzle787 said:

Wow stuff is so much cheaper in Texas. Those same sandwiches in Fairfield County, CT are $16-18

Comes with a pile of mashed taters, smothered in gravy and some sides. I go to Waco a couple of times/year. Always hit George's.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

The brief war betwixt PAC and XII is over.  B1G will reveal its great media right rights deal soon enough.  PAC already jumped the gun 2 years early and will just have to live to with what they get by January, 

XII will do its stuff on time, and no earlier than that in summer 2024 prior to Texas and Oklahoma departure and thorough, thorough assessment of the Four Newbies to XII,

At same point the PAC will dissolve and implode.  They are less than jointed at the hip so to say.  They are just playing for time waiting for the next reaction.  This will be whisper numbers re XII new TV deal two years from now, one year in advance of formality. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

On 8/4/2022 at 2:41 PM, Wyobraska said:

Gaslighting.

Sounds just like my the plant manager at my sales meeting today.  "everything will be fine......"

On 8/4/2022 at 3:59 PM, SDSUfan said:

I go to Waco a couple of times/year.

On purpose?

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 8/4/2022 at 8:22 AM, Wyobraska said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-big-ten-cooling-potential-100925893.html

Take this with a huge grain of salt as it is from Dodd:

As told by Dodd, it appears the thought of additional expansion was a deterring factor as the ongoing media rights negotiations continued.

After the anxiety caused last week regarding further Big Ten expansion, industry sources have indicated the Big Ten is no longer as interested in adding California, Oregon, Stanford and Washington. Rightsholders were balking at paying the same amount for those schools as the 16 Big Ten schools going forward ($80 million-$100 million).

This is not to suggest Big Ten expansion won’t pick up quickly again if the right variable enters the mix. That would be Notre Dame. Notre Dame is still exploring its own options for its football future, but if the school decides membership in the Big Ten is right for them, then the Big Ten will quickly welcome the Irish to the mix. And if that happens, the Big Ten could rush to add at least one other member.

Saw another article today that said pretty much Big10 still has their sights set on Notre Dame, which according to the article hasn't given them a ya or nay yet and pretty much once that happens they could go shopping again.

On 7/30/2022 at 10:26 PM, utenation said:

I don’t think anyone has said things are a done deal based on media days. I’ve said our leadership feels confident with our options which also likely includes other platforms besides Fox and ESPN. 

Our commish said boldly this will take months to finalize. So not sure how anyone would feel things are done and ready to go. 

But also to me what else would you expect to have everyone say on media day as well?

On 8/4/2022 at 7:59 PM, SDSUfan said:

Comes with a pile of mashed taters, smothered in gravy and some sides. I go to Waco a couple of times/year. Always hit George's.

Tying up some “loose ends” with a “former” business partner huh? 😉

19CF56AA-3FAD-402C-B4F5-0E0840F32E48.jpeg

While the B12 fans have already started sucking each others' dicks, let's not lose sight of why they're stable.  They're stable for precisely one reason.  Not because they're going to get a good media deal.  Not because they have a bunch of national brands.  Not because they have a bunch of playoff caliber football programs.  They are stable for precisely the reason that there is not a single school in the entire conference that anyone else wants.  The PAC and ACC have a degree of instability precisely because each has several schools that the B1G or SEC would take.  That's a cross that the B12 doesn't and will never bear.

On 8/4/2022 at 10:36 PM, utenation said:

Tying up some “loose ends” with a “former” business partner huh? 😉

19CF56AA-3FAD-402C-B4F5-0E0840F32E48.jpeg

Never got my reloader back from that prick. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 8/4/2022 at 10:01 PM, Coog kev said:

The brief war betwixt PAC and XII is over.  B1G will reveal its great media right rights deal soon enough.  PAC already jumped the gun 2 years early and will just have to live to with what they get by January, 

XII will do its stuff on time, and no earlier than that in summer 2024 prior to Texas and Oklahoma departure and thorough, thorough assessment of the Four Newbies to XII,

At same point the PAC will dissolve and implode.  They are less than jointed at the hip so to say.  They are just playing for time waiting for the next reaction.  This will be whisper numbers re XII new TV deal two years from now, one year in advance of formality. 

I was with you until the last paragraph.

Everyone said the XII was on dead on arrival as well. They added four Schools and will survive despite the tv revenue decreasing.

And, so will the PAC.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 7/31/2022 at 8:39 AM, The Brent Vigen Diet said:

This doesn’t get mentioned enough but I think the main reason allot of people are skeptical of the Big 12 getting a massive raise in their media deal hinges on the fact that they lost OUT and gained BYU, UCF , Cinci, and Houston. Those four teams, as successful as they have been in the last 10 years, are a fraction of the value UT and OU command. One other thing to point out, there are very few states on the Big 12 map where the Big 12 school is the biggest draw for college football. Kansas and West Virginia I guess with BYU capturing a slight majority in Utah. Somebody please explain to me how they are going to get 40 or 50 million per school a year? 

I don't foresee the B12 getting a massive raise.  Assuming no additional membership changes, I think their media contract will be pretty similar to the P12.

If the B12 is able to acquire a few of the more valuable P12 teams, then the B12 TV contract would be better (especially compared to a depleted P12), but still pretty unlikely to approach $50 million per team per year.

On 7/31/2022 at 11:42 AM, Wyobraska said:

If you spend any time in Texas this is very obvious.  UT is the most important hands horns down.  

fify

If the college football breaks off from the rest of the NCAA each sport should be run by a separate organization: 

The NCAA should run men's and women's basketball only. 
At this point, it can keep three divisions or split into 4-5 divisions. 

The USSF should run college soccer. 

USA Hockey should run college hockey. 

USA Baseball should run college baseball. 

Tennis and golf could be run by the U.S. IOC. 

This in my opinion would allow schools to pick which sports they value and leave the rest to club status. 

It would also mean that realignment moves in football have no effect on any other sport.