Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

On 8/3/2022 at 9:36 PM, utenation said:

I think Utah has been pretty good to the MWC. 

Recently we’ve done home and homes with SDSU, SJSU, Fresno and Wyo. 

Fresno? For Football?  Did I miss something?  Would love to see Utah come in play at Fresno. 

On 8/3/2022 at 7:50 PM, masterfrog said:

I haven’t looked on the map, but I think the Big 12 probably has closer games for Arizona and Arizona State than the Pac 12.  I bet Texas tech would be their closest P5 opponent and BYU would be second. 

Actually, most PAC Schools are closer to UofA than the New12. Utah is closer than BYU. You fly into SLC Airport and Rice-Eccles is a 15 minute bus ride. To play BYU, you fly into SLC and it is a 45 minute bus ride to Lavell Edwards Stadium. In either situation you hotel at the airport.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-big-ten-cooling-potential-100925893.html

Take this with a huge grain of salt as it is from Dodd:

As told by Dodd, it appears the thought of additional expansion was a deterring factor as the ongoing media rights negotiations continued.

After the anxiety caused last week regarding further Big Ten expansion, industry sources have indicated the Big Ten is no longer as interested in adding California, Oregon, Stanford and Washington. Rightsholders were balking at paying the same amount for those schools as the 16 Big Ten schools going forward ($80 million-$100 million).

This is not to suggest Big Ten expansion won’t pick up quickly again if the right variable enters the mix. That would be Notre Dame. Notre Dame is still exploring its own options for its football future, but if the school decides membership in the Big Ten is right for them, then the Big Ten will quickly welcome the Irish to the mix. And if that happens, the Big Ten could rush to add at least one other member.

1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

As told by Dodd, it appears the thought of additional expansion was a deterring factor as the ongoing media rights negotiations continued.

After the anxiety caused last week regarding further Big Ten expansion, industry sources have indicated the Big Ten is no longer as interested in adding California, Oregon, Stanford and Washington. Rightsholders were balking at paying the same amount for those schools as the 16 Big Ten schools going forward ($80 million-$100 million).

This is not to suggest Big Ten expansion won’t pick up quickly again if the right variable enters the mix. That would be Notre Dame. Notre Dame is still exploring its own options for its football future, but if the school decides membership in the Big Ten is right for them, then the Big Ten will quickly welcome the Irish to the mix. And if that happens, the Big Ten could rush to add at least one other member.

The funny thing about all the anxiety you refer to is that the B10 commish never mentioned the names Cal, Stanford, Oregon, or Washington.  It was one news agency that claimed to have a 'source' which said that.    Oddly this seems to confirm that 'source' (or 'mole', if we are going to use proper terminology) may not have been all that reliable.

On 8/3/2022 at 8:28 PM, utenation said:

You’re right, big picture. I still like to do roadies with my friends. 

I would do all the Texas teams, even Houston, OSU and obviously BYU. After that meh.  But traveling fans also help build rivalries. 

We have a Baylor series coming up. I look forward to that and I’d love to play TCU again.

I don't know if I'd be looking forward to a roadie at Baylor...

If there was one college town that is most like Fresno, it's Waco.  It's Fresno with a bunch of Bible thumpers.  When you're driving on I-35 you know you're getting close to Waco when all of the billboards are religious in nature.  There's a reason why Vernon Wayne Howell set up shop there.

Do yourself a favor and spend the weekend in Austin or DFW and then just drive to Waco for the game.

On 8/4/2022 at 11:44 AM, Fowl said:

I don't know if I'd be looking forward to a roadie at Baylor...

If there was one college town that is most like Fresno, it's Waco.  It's Fresno with a bunch of Bible thumpers.  When you're driving on I-35 you know you're getting close to Waco when all of the billboards are religious in nature.  There's a reason why Vernon Wayne Howell set up shop there.

Do yourself a favor and spend the weekend in Austin or DFW and then just drive to Waco for the game.

Get the chicken fried steak at George's if you go. 

https://georgesrestaurant.com/lunch-and-dinner/

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 8/4/2022 at 9:22 AM, Wyobraska said:

I'd balk to if I had to pay Oregon cash when I could pay powerhouses like Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, and Maryland instead.

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

Oof.  ASU's President not looking too good now.  

https://www.yahoo.com/news/asus-michael-crow-slammed-2019-183153427.html

Crow was an ardent supporter of former Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott and spoke highly of the future of the conference in the 2019 interview with The Republic's Jeff Metcalfe, where he said, among other things: "By my standard, we’re on track, we’re doing well, we’re making progress and we’re positioning ourselves for greatness going forward. What somebody will be writing about three years from now or four years will be, 'How did the Pac-12 get ahead of us.'

On 8/4/2022 at 1:38 PM, Reverend said:

I'd balk to if I had to pay Oregon cash when I could pay powerhouses like Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, and Maryland instead.

I found that curious as well.  Northwestern clearly worth their weight in gold.

On 8/4/2022 at 1:53 PM, Wyobraska said:

Oof.  ASU's President not looking too good now.  

https://www.yahoo.com/news/asus-michael-crow-slammed-2019-183153427.html

Crow was an ardent supporter of former Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott and spoke highly of the future of the conference in the 2019 interview with The Republic's Jeff Metcalfe, where he said, among other things: "By my standard, we’re on track, we’re doing well, we’re making progress and we’re positioning ourselves for greatness going forward. What somebody will be writing about three years from now or four years will be, 'How did the Pac-12 get ahead of us.'

Early on, I think all the presidents believed and supported Scott. They hired him.  The new contract was a big pay increase.

There were a lot of promises about more revenue with the P12 network.  Once presidents and AD’s saw the P&L’s not matching up with expectations along with distribution problems, the smiles turned upside down. 

The “blank check” MO of the conference office staff being completely top heavy and bloated was the last straw I think. 

So I get being a supporter in say 2013, but not 2019. It didn’t take rocket science to see gross and net rev were way out of line.  

On 8/4/2022 at 12:02 PM, Gonzagafan2021 said:

Pigs will fly before Minnesota joins the B12

flying pigs pig GIF by SmileCloudsUSA

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor