Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

On 8/3/2022 at 4:46 PM, Headbutt said:

Maybe my math sucks, but I think they'll need games in Newfoundland to squeeze one in before the typical Irish start time.

If Notre Dame is seeking $75 million a year most of those game will be play in Primetime.

Here is the link I was actually looking for, from Dennis Dodd on July 18th: Notre Dame targeting $75 million annual media rights payout in quest to remain independent

From the write up:

"For NBC to feel comfortable raising Notre Dame's valuation to such a level, it is seeking "shoulder programming" (in this case, games played before and/or after Notre Dame's contests) from a Power Five conference to enhance its college football coverage."

On 8/3/2022 at 4:57 PM, e-zone99 said:

Here is the link I was actually looking for, from Dennis Dodd on July 18th: Notre Dame targeting $75 million annual media rights payout in quest to remain independent

From the write up:

"For NBC to feel comfortable raising Notre Dame's valuation to such a level, it is seeking "shoulder programming" (in this case, games played before and/or after Notre Dame's contests) from a Power Five conference to enhance its college football coverage."

OK, so that article defines "shoulder programming".  It still doesn't explain how often or important an opening game for an eastern time zone team will happen.  In the case of Notre Dame, the value of the shoulder programming will always be the next game, not the previous one.  Nobody is jumping in to watch a game just to warm up for Notre Dame.  They will watch ND and therefore be exposed to the marketing by the announcers to stick around for the next game.  I think that 'next game' matters a lot to ratings, and that is what NBC is seeking.  Notre Dame is the hook, the rest of the menu is the gravy.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:17 PM, Someone Else said:

Darn... I was hoping folks would read what I wrote and understand exactly what it is.  Maybe reread it and see what it closely resembles.  I guess I was thinking it was funnier than it is.

I have no idea who is talking to who or what anyone would want... it was meant as a joke.

Upon reread it feels like you were doing an impression....lol

shits about to get real on the acc front...the powerbrokers know that a move either needs to be made prior to week 1 or after the season and these people aren't keen on waiting...lol

business is about to pick up...the SEC is making a move on Miami...lol

On 8/3/2022 at 3:57 PM, e-zone99 said:

If Notre Dame is seeking $75 million a year most of those game will be play in Primetime.

From the write up:

most of notre dames games start at 2:30 p..m . eastern, or or 7:30 p..m. eastern

that is perfect for the Pac12 who can play right after the notre dame on NBC and Nbc Universal

On 8/3/2022 at 5:29 PM, Wyobraska said:

I hope that is the case.  College football is better more regional conferences 

it is killing college football and these big conferences are so big you would never get to play all the schools

I think the Mountain West Conf. will be ok if the Pac12 survvies, and will only probably lose San Diego St., which I think you all would replace with someone else

but at least the Mountain West has good rivalries and good geography

On 8/3/2022 at 6:25 PM, Cleopatra said:

the Pac12 commissioner hinted that they are talking with Apple and Amazon

He also said he hoped to monetize things like baseball and softball.  

We'll see how that goes for him. 

I don't know how a streaming deal would go.  I know when I am watching games, if it isn't easy to watch a game, I probably won't.  

I certainly won't get Apple TV to watch the PAC. 

On 8/3/2022 at 6:45 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I don’t ‘know’ that you’re Ibanez but the overwhelming evidence and precedent makes it a safe assumption, just like with this conference drama.  

So you don't know? Got it. And everyone knows I'm Ibanez. I never hid that fact.

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

On 8/3/2022 at 8:17 AM, utenation said:

This article/writer is from Oklahoma and he's obviously a B12 Homer.  Obviously, he thinks the B12 has better content to give to NBC than the P12. Hence spinning to try to get the best P12 leftovers. The numbers or lack there of to get the P12 schools to move haven't been there as we've clearly seen so far. A lot of chirping is all.

What's to stop the P12(if they already haven't) from throwing their hat in the ring with NBC? It's been 30 days of shopping for us and details aren't exactly clear.

He's an OU homer, not a B12 homer.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 8/3/2022 at 2:40 PM, Headbutt said:

I'm still very far from sold that the so-called 4 corner schools are going to end up in the Big 12.

Despite the fact that Arizona has been acting like the kid trying to the B12's attention, they are either not interested in UA or they want another 4 Corner School to come with them.

Since the others feel better off in the PAC, and OUW want an escape clause, everything will be on hold until 2024.

CFP Contract, ND/NBC, and PAc  contract ends the end of the 2024 season.

There will be a major reshuffle of the FBS then.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 8/3/2022 at 6:27 PM, SAMO said:

shits about to get real on the acc front...the powerbrokers know that a move either needs to be made prior to week 1 or after the season and these people aren't keen on waiting...lol

business is about to pick up...the SEC is making a move on Miami...lol

Is Mimi willing to go to court?  This will be interesting if they are.

On 8/3/2022 at 6:34 PM, Wyobraska said:

Is Mimi willing to go to court?  This will be interesting if they are.

i mean, they did kill the big east with no +++++s given way back when...granted the stakes/$$$ are higher here but they have more money and juice at this point than they did then even...lol

On 8/3/2022 at 7:46 PM, since1670 said:

They could have a great day with the following games:

Baylor vs TCU

Notre Dame vs ?

BYU vs Liberty

ND vs BC

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 8/3/2022 at 7:07 PM, RSF said:

He's an OU homer, not a B12 homer.

Yeah but I’m sure OSU fans still generate some of his “clicks” and his media market certainly isn’t in P12 territory.  He also really has no incentive to “one up” the Sooners against the B12 leftovers considering they scored big time with the SEC.  His take wasn’t terrible, he just cleverly left out that the P12 could make the same move.

Don’t think for one second that Utah fans don’t read every article on BYU just because they are now in a different conference. Even Utah State. We pay attention. And likewise they read our stuff. And local writers know how to fire up each fan base.

On 8/3/2022 at 7:29 PM, Wyobraska said:

I hope that is the case.  College football is better more regional conferences 

I haven’t looked on the map, but I think the Big 12 probably has closer games for Arizona and Arizona State than the Pac 12.  I bet Texas tech would be their closest P5 opponent and BYU would be second.