Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

On 8/3/2022 at 7:49 AM, azgreg said:

List UNLV as a land grant university.

https://www.nifa.usda.gov

I wonder how many schools are both land grant and AAU?

The UC branches + The B1G schools (-Nebraska) + Cornell pretty much sums it up. 

Land Grant really doesn't mean all that much to be honest.  While there are certainly tiers of quality within the group, AAU is a much better indicator of quality than being a state's land grant school.  I've never heard that land grant colleges are tasked with taking a lot of "average" undergraduates.  A lot of them do because that's their lot in life.  Then you have the UC branches, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue which are among the most selective public universities in the country.

On 8/3/2022 at 12:36 AM, jdgaucho said:

There's a Nevada State College.  No varsity sports, but their mascot is the Scorpions.

https://nsc.edu/

So the Nevada schools would have to rebrand as either Reno State or Las Vegas State.  

Nevada actually used to be called Nevada State University in the early 1900s.

Nevada State has been one of the fastest growing schools in the country. I’d imagine they’ll rename to Nevada State University before long.

On 8/2/2022 at 6:51 PM, Headbutt said:

So, generally speaking, I agree with where you're headed.  I actually heard a version of that on a podcast with our AD today regarding a big split coming.  I say be proactive.  Form the conferences that make sense, with the rules that make sense.  Why would a K-State, etc. complain about that.  If the P2 came calling, you can always leave, but why wait around for a couple of conferences to make the decision for you?  Let's just move forward in the direction that we're being forced to and take advantage of the opportunity to set our own standards.  Call it surrender if you want, but I think a better level of amateur athletics can be built if those of us destined to be relegated to it, get to design it.

This is my glimmer of hope for the G5 and the soon-to-be Tier 2 Power conferences (Big 12, Pac - for now - 10 and potentially the ACC unless the ACC is suddenly able to get super-aggressive, or the Big 10/SEC decides to allow for 3 Elite Conferences!).

If the Big 10 and the SEC continue on their trajectory, especially factoring in ridiculous NIL deals, will they essentially become a "D League" for the NFL with correspondingly declining fan numbers? And if they do, will these other "leftover" conferences literally become the ONLY true college football being played? And will fans respond in kind?

Seems like there could be at least a little bit better money in the scenario above for us peasants...but chasing the money is what got everything sliding downhill in the first place!

On 8/3/2022 at 11:07 AM, Wyobraska said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tramels-scissortales-big-12-nbc-190845526.html

Interesting theory here.  I'm not sure it would be enough to pull PAC 12 schools to the Big 12 but I guess we'll find out.  

This article/writer is from Oklahoma and he's obviously a B12 Homer.  Obviously, he thinks the B12 has better content to give to NBC than the P12. Hence spinning to try to get the best P12 leftovers. The numbers or lack there of to get the P12 schools to move haven't been there as we've clearly seen so far. A lot of chirping is all.

What's to stop the P12(if they already haven't) from throwing their hat in the ring with NBC? It's been 30 days of shopping for us and details aren't exactly clear.

On 8/2/2022 at 8:23 PM, Headbutt said:

Good for them.  It'll pay off in the long run.

Thanks, HB. And a big time contractor and slimy PR firm came really close to turning that land into like 500 condos in an area where the traffic was already bad.

On 8/3/2022 at 7:47 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

Just read that the Big 12 is hoping Minnesota leaves the Big Ten to join them.  I think we have jumped the shark when we are talking a founding member of the Big Ten leaving all of its rivals to play in the fricking Big 12.  

To my knowledge only some putz reporter with the Star News has mentioned that. Not only is the idea ludicrous, no legit journalist without at least two reliable sources would report such a thing.

On 8/3/2022 at 10:07 AM, Wyobraska said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tramels-scissortales-big-12-nbc-190845526.html

Interesting theory here.  I'm not sure it would be enough to pull PAC 12 schools to the Big 12 but I guess we'll find out.  

Why wouldn't NBC just partner with the PAC? Its pretty clear PAC rights are going to market and NBC wouldnt have to wait a year to get a chance at CFB content. 

On 8/3/2022 at 5:49 AM, azgreg said:

List UNLV as a land grant university.

https://www.nifa.usda.gov

I wonder how many schools are both land grant and AAU?

No it doesn’t 

https://www.nifa.usda.gov/about-nifa/how-we-work/partnerships/land-grant-colleges-universities

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 8/3/2022 at 7:47 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

Just read that the Big 12 is hoping Minnesota leaves the Big Ten to join them.  I think we have jumped the shark when we are talking a founding member of the Big Ten leaving all of its rivals to play in the fricking Big 12.  

Minnesota will be left behind when the P2 becomes P1 but they aren’t leaving the B1G for the b12 unless they’re forced out. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 8/3/2022 at 3:04 PM, AztecSU said:

Why wouldn't NBC just partner with the PAC? Its pretty clear PAC rights are going to market and NBC wouldnt have to wait a year to get a chance at CFB content. 

They don’t want the PAC.  And the PAC will stick with espn, it’s only offer.  They will hear overtures but no one is paying more than espn when there’s better content on the horizon.

On 8/3/2022 at 1:04 PM, AztecSU said:

It's location, Big12 schools are in the same time zone so games can be played before or after the Notre Dame game.

On 8/3/2022 at 1:43 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

They don’t want the PAC.  And the PAC will stick with espn, it’s only offer.  They will hear overtures but no one is paying more than espn when there’s better content on the horizon.

Link?

On 8/3/2022 at 1:50 PM, e-zone99 said:

It's location, Big12 schools are in the same time zone so games can be played before or after the Notre Dame game.

If the P12 Is a new time zone for them, isn’t that a new revenue opportunity for them? Also, wouldn’t they dictate start times to their advantage like everyone else?

On 8/3/2022 at 1:57 PM, utenation said:

If the P12 Is a new time zone for them, isn’t that a new revenue opportunity for them? Also, wouldn’t they dictate start times to their advantage like everyone else?

NBC want's shoulder games for Notre Dame, either played before the Notre Dame game or after.  The partner conference needs to be flexible to NBC's/Notre Dame's wants and needs, thus why only the Big10 and Big12 are the only conferences being discussed.

On 8/3/2022 at 2:03 PM, e-zone99 said:

NBC want's shoulder games for Notre Dame, either played before the Notre Dame game or after.  The partner conference needs to be flexible to NBC's/Notre Dame's wants and needs, thus why only the Big10 and Big12 are the only conferences being discussed.

Hmmm, sounds like a BYU fan/B12 perspective to me. 

Even you said “after” ND games. So why wouldn’t a whole slew of games in the MTN and pacific time zones fit that bill?

Also, the Midwest and eastern time zones are already saturated with games. My new revenue idea holds water. 

And can you confirm that a deal with the P12/NBC  has already been talked about and or turned down?

On 8/3/2022 at 2:03 PM, e-zone99 said:

I'm pretty sure Pac 12 schools wouldn't bitch about not having to start their games at 7PM.  They'd be happy to start right after the ND game.  So if a typical ND game starts at 9AM Pacific, the P12 game could start at 1PM, and they'd still have one more regional marquis matchup starting at 5PM.  It sounds to me like it would work pretty nicely for NBC.