Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

On 8/2/2022 at 6:02 PM, MrBug708 said:

It's a Miss State/Ole Miss troll job

The irony being they're both in Mississippi.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 8/2/2022 at 4:30 PM, Spaztecs said:

What advantages are provided being a Land Grant Institute than a mere property owner like SDSU ?

SDSU owns so much land outside its "official" campus that it isn't funny. Most of the apartment buildings on Montezuma they have bought, my best friend sold one to the university a few years ago. Retail properties as well. Most of the land around Alvarado Hospital they own as well and their long term plans is for a complete redevelopment of that area.. Anything that comes up for sale around the main campus. even private homes, they are grabbing.

On 8/2/2022 at 8:59 PM, Aztec1984 said:

SDSU owns so much land outside its "official" campus that it isn't funny. Most of the apartment buildings on Montezuma they have bought, my best friend sold one to the university a few years ago. Retail properties as well. Most of the land around Alvarado Hospital they own as well and their long term plans is for a complete redevelopment of that area.. Anything that comes up for sale around the main campus. even private homes, they are grabbing.

Good for them.  It'll pay off in the long run.

On 8/2/2022 at 4:45 PM, Spaztecs said:

So , Hawaii, UNM, Wyoming, UNR and Southern Nevada go back to the WAC ?

Or they can just slap STATE on to their existing name….according to my “sources”

On 8/2/2022 at 12:09 PM, AztecSU said:

Breaking News: a new Conference, the SAC10 or State Athletic Conference 10, will be forming in the wake of the PAC/B12 moves. Members listed below

Washington STATE

Oregon STATE

Boise STATE

Fresno STATE

San Jose STATE

San Diego STATE

Whichever Nevada school adds STATE to their name first

Utah STATE

Colorado STATE

Texas STATE

Add OK St, KS State and Iowa ST and I'd watch that league

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 8/2/2022 at 2:51 PM, Reverend said:

Surprised to see Clemson and South Bend ranked so low.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 8/2/2022 at 8:47 PM, SDSUfan said:

Add OK St, KS State and Iowa ST and I'd watch that league

North Dakota State

Americans Mayor

On 8/2/2022 at 7:59 PM, Aztec1984 said:

I ran across this in Wiki about land Grant Institutions. Most got their start displacing the Natives for the Land value to sell to build the Colleges or to build on that land. The original Bill was vetoed by President Buchannon in 1859 and finally passed in 1862.

The Morrill Land-Grant Acts are United States statutes that allowed for the creation of land-grant colleges in U.S. states using the proceeds from sales of federally-owned land, often obtained from indigenous tribes through treaty, cession, or seizure. The Morrill Act of 1862 (later codified as 7 U.S.C. § 301 et seq.) was enacted during the American Civil War, and the Morrill Act of 1890 (the Agricultural College Act of 1890 (26 Stat. 417, later codified as 7 U.S.C. § 321 et seq.) expanded this model.

Americans Mayor

Breaking News: a new Conference, the SAC10 or State Athletic Conference 10, will be forming in the wake of the PAC/B12 moves. Members listed below

Washington STATE

Oregon STATE

Boise STATE

Fresno STATE

San Jose STATE

San Diego STATE

Utah STATE

Colorado STATE

Texas STATE

There's a Nevada State College.  No varsity sports, but their mascot is the Scorpions.

https://nsc.edu/

So the Nevada schools would have to rebrand as either Reno State or Las Vegas State.  

On 8/2/2022 at 9:35 AM, Reverend said:

UT campus is between a river that's so polluted you can probably walk across it (I had a girlfriend stay at the Andy Holt dorms, every morning the smell would wake you up if you had the window open.), one ghetto, downtown (getting better but not exactly nice, and Tyson Park which is named after an old Middle school. A lot of crime there. Plus UT and UT Chattanooga always make the most dangerous National campus list.

You can't even tell where Auburn's campus starts. It's just kids blended in with the city of Auburn. Mississippi State is also kind of an ugly mess of a campus. For some reason the higher on the list of AAU membership the worst towns the Universities are in. Look at Cal, Stanford, and the Ivy League. Absolutely shit cities that are some of not the worst in the country. Then you go to Boise which is one of the safest and cleanest large cities in the country and if blows my mind how someone in a place like Dallas, Orlando, or Fresno could have the audacity to talk shit.

You don't say?

UC-Santa-Barbara-Henley-Gate-Hero-700.jpg.92ce20c2f7ca064c7aef28f68299755d.jpg

240133658_4244373225612258_7181001682451238401_n.jpg.32cdc1bb390ce47e6ea24811cf32bdd9.jpg

resized_FI_Getty_Santa-Barbara-CA.jpg.aa672456a8e52626cc437bd67de2ffc2.jpg

Washington STATE

Oregon STATE

Boise STATE

Fresno STATE

San Jose STATE

San Diego STATE

Utah STATE

Colorado STATE

Texas STATE

I'll miss wyo, New MX & The USAFA.

Pls NO:  CSU-José, Nevada Southern Land Grant & Tejas State

On 8/2/2022 at 1:06 PM, mugtang said:

I think we are getting federal funds..

and

Nevada

The University of Nevada System, consisting of the University of Nevada, Reno, the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and the Desert Research Institute, is the only land grant institution within the State of Nevada.

On 8/2/2022 at 5:01 PM, Headbutt said:

Mostly it's a collaboration thing.  Kind of like a different version of AAU.  Land Grants focus a lot on ag research and will collaborate a lot within that community, and it's not minor research.  Beyond simple genetics, etc., a lot of it spills over into things like biomedical sciences.  There typically is a higher level of state support as well, although that has been waning over the years.  Mostly a lot of Tier 1 research, just not space shuttle stuff.  CSU for example does a lot of cancer research, T-Cell research, etc., they just study it in four legged critters instead of two legged.  Important stuff that translates.  Being a land grant gives them the advantage of being part of a club (like AAU) of like minded institutions and helps them increase their overall research budget.  They are also tasked with taking a higher level of "average qualifiers" on an undergrad basis if that makes any sense.  Still, you'd probably be surprised at what the land grant institutions take in for research dollars, and what they do with it.

Cal didn't get the memo about being "...tasked with taking a higher level of 'average qualifiers' on an undergrad basis."

On 8/3/2022 at 5:49 AM, azgreg said:

I wonder how many schools are both land grant and AAU?

There are fifteen - University of California Berkeley, University of Arizona, University of Florida, University of Missouri, Texas A&M, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers, Wisconsin and Cornell.

Of the 69 autonomous Power 5 schools, 50 institutions are either an AAU member or founded by a historic federal land grant or both.

On 8/3/2022 at 5:12 AM, 4UNLV said:

I think we are getting federal funds..

and

Nevada

The University of Nevada System, consisting of the University of Nevada, Reno, the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and the Desert Research Institute, is the only land grant institution within the State of Nevada.

Every major university gets federal funds.  Just because you get $$$ from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), doesn't make you a land grant institution.  

Where did the land come from that UNLV sits on?

Given your logic, all 11-campuses in the Univ of Calif system are Land Grant schools.  That's not how it wrks.

On 8/3/2022 at 5:49 AM, azgreg said:

List UNLV as a land grant university.

https://www.nifa.usda.gov

I wonder how many schools are both land grant and AAU?

Thanks for the link to the home page.  I didn't see UNLV's name there.

Just because you get $$$ from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), doesn't make you a land grant institution.  

Where did the land come from that UNLV sits on?