Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

the Pac12 needs to stay togethor, the Pac12 by far has the nicest locations

I don't think USC and UCLA even want Washington or Oregon to join the Big Ten because it will steal their recruiting. 

this is why I continue to believe John Wilner that the conference will stay togethor and add San Diego St. and one other, probably SMU which also has a nice lcoation

it is nuts thinking that college kids will want to travel so far while being students.   keep the geography and the tradition.

On 8/2/2022 at 11:55 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

Yeah. Very similar to the neighborhood surrounding that other academically challenged Pac-12 school down in Westwood.

He threw in the Ivy League schools too. 

Look at these dumps of a campus at Harvard and Yale. I mean we get it, some of the surrounding areas of these schools might have problems but even his beloved Boise has issues.

4D8FB14D-4386-486E-9BFF-C308DB3E2409.jpeg

C4DE69C3-A04E-4868-A1D3-8126B49C0769.jpeg

For some, anyplace where the majority doesn't follow the same politics they ascribe to are shitholes. Teams n shit overrides what they can see with their own eyes.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

Utah becoming an AAU school after joining the Pac 12 is a great model which Hawaii, New Mexico, and Nevada can emulate.  The big deal about the AAU is the members usually obtain more than half of over all research funding and that is where the money is in academics, not teaching undergraduates.  

However, the 66 member AAU is not the most exclusive group in college football's division I, rather the 48 federal land grant institutions are.   Of the 130 universities that play division I football, there are 47 AAU members that play (39 FBS, 12 FCS ).  All of the 48 land grant institutions play division I football and 39 play FBS.  Only 15 land grant institutions are AAU members; Cornell is the only land grant AAU school that plays FCS.

20 land grant institutions play in the Big Ten and SEC.  Nebraska is a land grant institution even if it's not in the AAU.  

The mountain west has five land grant institutions (Colorado State, Hawai'i, Nevada, Utah State, and Wyoming), which is more than the four in the Big 12 and Pac 12, and the three in the ACC.   Yes that is correct the Mountain West has the third highest number of land grant institutions, ahead of the Big 12 and the Pac 12, in FBS football.

Both Washington State and Oregon State are land grant institutions and every land grant is a significant academic institution.  The SEC consists of a majority of land grant institutions that aren't in the AAU so there is every indication that a primarily land grant university can compete at the highest level of college football.

Ideally Wazzou and OSU decide that a Division i FBS conference with a core of land grant institutions is a great place to be with respect to playing college football at the highest level.

On 8/2/2022 at 12:02 PM, Cleopatra said:

by the way, Oregon St. is not sitting by doing nothing

they have a hundreds of millions of dollars expansion going on right now.

OregonStateFootballStadium.jpg

They might be stuck with a large bill and uncertain how to pay it in the near future.

On 8/2/2022 at 12:36 PM, Wyobraska said:

They might be stuck with a large bill and uncertain how to pay it in the near future.

My thoughts exactly about two weeks ago. Might be bad timing for P12 facility upgrades for certain schools if the payback is mostly from athletic revenue. 

Still lots of uncertainty in the air. That’s a badass remodel of Reser Stadium though.

Breaking News: a new Conference, the SAC10 or State Athletic Conference 10, will be forming in the wake of the PAC/B12 moves. Members listed below

Washington STATE

Oregon STATE

Boise STATE

Fresno STATE

San Jose STATE

San Diego STATE

Whichever Nevada school adds STATE to their name first

Utah STATE

Colorado STATE

Texas STATE

On 8/2/2022 at 2:34 PM, Bruininthebay said:

Utah becoming an AAU school after joining the Pac 12 is a great model which Hawaii, New Mexico, and Nevada can emulate.  The big deal about the AAU is the members usually obtain more than half of over all research funding and that is where the money is in academics, not teaching undergraduates.  

However, the 66 member AAU is not most exclusive group in college football's division I, rather the 48 federal land grant institutions are.   Of the 130 universities that play division I football, there are 47 AAU members that play (39 FBS, 12 FCS ).  All of the 48 land grant institutions play division I football and 39 play FBS.  Only 15 land grant institutions are AAU members; Cornell is the only land grant AAU school that plays FCS.

20 land grant institutions play in the Big Ten and SEC.  Nebraska is a land grant institution even if it's not in the AAU.  

The mountain west has five land grant institutions (Colorado State, Hawai'i, Nevada, Utah State, and Wyoming), which is more than the four in the Big 12 and Pac 12, and the three in the ACC.   Yes that is correct the Mountain West has the third highest number of land grant institutions, ahead of the Big 12 and the Pac 12.

Both Washington State and Oregon State are land grant institutions and every land grant is a significant academic institution.  The SEC consists of a majority of land grant institutions that aren't in the AAU so there is every indication that a primarily land grant university can compete at the highest level of college football.

Ideally Wazzou and OSU decide that a Division i FBS conference with a core of land grant institutions is a great place to be with respect to playing college football at the highest level.

UNLV is a land grant school now from my understanding.

On 8/2/2022 at 12:16 PM, lobo-tomy said:

As a Lobo, I don't have a dog in the hunt,  but I prefer PAC locations to Big 12 places. 

none of us has a dog in the hunt.  This is just the annual MWC off season circle jerk

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 8/2/2022 at 12:33 PM, rebelcuff said:

UNLV is a land grant school now from my understanding.

In name only and not according to the Feds

https://www.nifa.usda.gov/sites/default/files/2022-06/NIFALGUs_MapREV_AI0522_508.pdf

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 8/2/2022 at 1:09 PM, AztecSU said:

Breaking News: a new Conference, the SAC10 or State Athletic Conference 10, will be forming in the wake of the PAC/B12 moves. Members listed below

Washington STATE

Oregon STATE

Boise STATE

Fresno STATE

San Jose STATE

San Diego STATE

Whichever Nevada school adds STATE to their name first

Utah STATE

Colorado STATE

Texas STATE

Somewhere Lobolast is responding as such at the mere mention or thought of a “State” Conference…

BCABFE58-BAC3-49AC-8A63-E2655222D220.gif.b248587b9b5e9951df2b55ce004b0300.gif

v0icAvfW.jpg

On 8/2/2022 at 11:22 AM, RebelAlliance said:

Vandy???  Nashville is one of the trendiest cities in the country right now. Think Austin without the douchebag Texas alums. 

What's that have to do with Vanderbilt's campus?

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

On 8/2/2022 at 11:02 AM, Cleopatra said:

by the way, Oregon St. is not sitting by doing nothing

they have a hundreds of millions of dollars expansion going on right now.

OregonStateFootballStadium.jpg

Looks great!

SDSU heads up there in 2023, and hopefully every other year in the near future.

On 8/2/2022 at 12:34 PM, Bruininthebay said:

However, the 66 member AAU is not most exclusive group in college football's division I, rather the 48 federal land grant institutions are.   Of the 130 universities that play division I football, there are 47 AAU members that play (39 FBS, 12 FCS ).  All of the 48 land grant institutions play division I football and 39 play FBS.  Only 15 land grant institutions are AAU members; Cornell is the only land grant AAU school that plays FCS.

The mountain west has five land grant institutions (Colorado State, Hawai'i, Nevada, Utah State, and Wyoming), which is more than the four in the Big 12 and Pac 12, and the three in the ACC.   Yes that is correct the Mountain West has the third highest number of land grant institutions, ahead of the Big 12 and the Pac 12.

I'm sure the PAC would love to have New Mexico and their 8,000 fans in the stands or Nevada with their 15,000. That will sure show the Big 12.

On 8/2/2022 at 11:42 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

Palo Alto is absolute shit? Smh. Sure you're not thinking of EAST Palo Alto (which is actually NORTH of Palo Alto)?

It's part of the Bay Area. I'm not gonna give it a pass. Duke has a very nice campus but Durham is awful.

And yes, let's take pics from a blimp to try and prove I'm wrong. I'm sure Fresno looks great from an airplane. Well, probably not Fresno but the Utah Dan gets the point.

On 8/2/2022 at 2:16 PM, Reverend said:

It's part of the Bay Area. I'm not gonna give it a pass. Duke has a very nice campus but Durham is awful.

And yes, let's take pics from a blimp to try and prove I'm wrong. I'm sure Fresno looks great from an airplane. Well, probably not Fresno but the Utah Dan gets the point.

So the entire Bay Area is shit? C'mon man. Richmond and parts of Oakland where we lived when I was a little kid are pretty impoverished along with pockets of SF but on the whole the Bay Area is a great place to live.

Fresno? My family lived there too in the late fifties and early sixties at what was then the edge of town and I loved it. Of course, I was just a dumb kid and I agree with you that it's now awful. Much more spread out than it was then with zero urban renewal plus global warming has changed it from uncomfortable to intolerable in the summer.