Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

On 8/2/2022 at 6:33 AM, jewelz4562000 said:

Being by homeless crime filled shitholes helps with AAU status?

Infrastructure, logistic hubs, an educated labor market, etc... are imperative to monetize academic research.

When's the last time you were/in around Corvallis 'n' Eugene?

On 8/2/2022 at 8:47 AM, Half-Man is All-Tyrant said:

Infrastructure, logistic hubs, an educated labor market, etc... are imperative to monetize academic research.

Corvallis gets bashed but it is actually a nice campus at Oregon st.

On 8/2/2022 at 9:05 AM, Spaztecs said:

When it comes to providing proof, he and Convert are in the same boat

Says the poster who on another thread runs to the defense of Convert’s nonsensical claim of BYU seeking unequal revenue from the MWC and shockingly can’t provide a shred of evidence.  This is a little pot meet kettle.  

v0icAvfW.jpg

On 8/2/2022 at 9:47 AM, Half-Man is All-Tyrant said:

Bi-weekly for me since my headquarters are in Salem. Your point?

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

On 8/2/2022 at 9:48 AM, Cleopatra said:

Corvallis gets bashed but it is actually a nice campus at Oregon st.

Not sure I would say nice but it has its charm. Certainly better than places like Auburn, Tennessee, Vandy, Memphis, and Middle Tennessee.

On 8/2/2022 at 10:18 AM, Half-Man is All-Tyrant said:

OSU is in a good location to monetize research....Wazzu, not so much.

You're probably not wrong but I'm not sure how that would hurt their AAU status. Seems like AAU almost always requires medical research and I'm not sure why that is. Every University has its purpose and the US is the only country I know where certain University officials will shit on another one because they have different priorities.

On 8/1/2022 at 12:02 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

The possibility of the Pac becoming a western version of the B1G by requiring AAU status for admission is an interesting one. Problem is the size as you point out.

Not sure about ASU - whose academic structure is gonzo wacko - but OSU and WSU are highly unlikely to ever achieve AAU membership because of their locations if not also their academic missions. So which other schools with AAU membership could the Pac possibly pluck to get up to 16?

On 8/2/2022 at 2:01 AM, Half-Man is All-Tyrant said:

I agree that neither OSU or Wazzu "...are highly unlikely to ever achieve AAU membership."

Your statement that OSU won't "...achieve AAU membership because of their locations..." perplexes me a bit.  I agree about Wash St, but isn't OSU located fairly close to & in the middle of Eugene & Portland?

On 8/2/2022 at 9:18 AM, Half-Man is All-Tyrant said:

OSU is in a good location to monetize research....Wazzu, not so much.

On 8/2/2022 at 9:23 AM, Reverend said:

You're probably not wrong but I'm not sure how that would hurt their AAU status. Seems like AAU almost always requires medical research and I'm not sure why that is. Every University has its purpose and the US is the only country I know where certain University officials will shit on another one because they have different priorities.

#1 - I was responding directly to @818SUDSFan's comment in bold quoted above about the geography & admissions philosophies of Wazzu & OSU & how they relate to AAU membership.

#2 - Academic research doesn't exist in a vacuum.  If successful research can be monitored & makes a successful transition to the real world, $$$ for more research will follow. See my earlier post regarding the secondary industries growing & thriving in the Northern Front Range as direct fruit from the research developed at CSU, uc-boulder, CSM, etc... & it's relation to the infrastructure & labor markets in that area.

On 8/2/2022 at 10:19 AM, Half-Man is All-Tyrant said:

I really liked Vandy...Memphis not so much.

I can't speak to the other two...

UT campus is between a river that's so polluted you can probably walk across it (I had a girlfriend stay at the Andy Holt dorms, every morning the smell would wake you up if you had the window open.), one ghetto, downtown (getting better but not exactly nice, and Tyson Park which is named after an old Middle school. A lot of crime there. Plus UT and UT Chattanooga always make the most dangerous National campus list.

You can't even tell where Auburn's campus starts. It's just kids blended in with the city of Auburn. Mississippi State is also kind of an ugly mess of a campus. For some reason the higher on the list of AAU membership the worst towns the Universities are in. Look at Cal, Stanford, and the Ivy League. Absolutely shit cities that are some of not the worst in the country. Then you go to Boise which is one of the safest and cleanest large cities in the country and if blows my mind how someone in a place like Dallas, Orlando, or Fresno could have the audacity to talk shit.

On 8/2/2022 at 5:55 AM, bigd said:

And they have a much larger research budget the University of Oregon which is AAU. In fact, I think it's more than double the amount of research. 

Not sure what the justification is for Oregon to be a member instead of OSU?

IIRC Oregon Health and Science University (the state of Oregon's public medical school and post-grad scientific research university) was part of U of O until the last decade when it was cleaved off.  If you include the research of OHSU then U of O's annual research exceeds $1 billion.  U of O was admitted to AAU in 1969. 

On 8/2/2022 at 9:35 AM, Reverend said:

UT campus is between a river that's so polluted you can probably walk across it (I had a girlfriend stay at the Andy Holt dorms, every morning the smell would wake you up if you had the window open.), one ghetto, downtown (getting better but not exactly nice, and Tyson Park which is named after an old Middle school. A lot of crime there. Plus UT and UT Chattanooga always make the most dangerous National campus list.

You can't even tell where Auburn's campus starts. It's just kids blended in with the city of Auburn. Mississippi State is also kind of an ugly mess of a campus. For some reason the higher on the list of AAU membership the worst towns the Universities are in. Look at Cal, Stanford, and the Ivy League. Absolutely shit cities that are some of not the worst in the country. Then you go to Boise which is one of the safest and cleanest large cities in the country and if blows my mind how someone in a place like Dallas, Orlando, or Fresno could have the audacity to talk shit.

Isn't Boise's growth uber recent?

Isn't comparing The newish Juco to institutions in old 'hoods apples/oranges?

Cal and Stanford campus’ and area around them are some of the worst in the country? 😂😂😂 

On 8/2/2022 at 11:18 AM, Reverend said:

Not sure I would say nice but it has its charm. Certainly better than places like Auburn, Tennessee, Vandy, Memphis, and Middle Tennessee.

Vandy???  Nashville is one of the trendiest cities in the country right now. Think Austin without the douchebag Texas alums. 

On 8/2/2022 at 11:09 AM, NevadaFan said:

Cal and Stanford campus’ and area around them are some of the worst in the country? 😂😂😂 

They used to be the best until urban sprawl and white flight  happened.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 8/2/2022 at 2:01 AM, Half-Man is All-Tyrant said:

I agree that neither OSU or Wazzu "...are highly unlikely to ever achieve AAU membership."

Your statement that OSU won't "...achieve AAU membership because of their locations..." perplexes me a bit.  I agree about Wash St, but isn't OSU located fairly close to & in the middle of Eugene & Portland?

I'm no expert on Oregon but I've been up there 8-10 times and have a friend in Portland plus I've tended to follow things a bit because Mrs. SUDSFan and I have considered moving up there. I tend to like Corvallis because it's a true college town. Since I know you're a Californian, if you aren't familiar with Corvallis it reminds me a lot of Davis.

UCD may be an AAU school but I doubt it wouldn't be if it was located in Corvallis. UCD is an AAU school because it's a member of the best system of public higher education in the country. I'm sure Oregon's public university system is fine but the school in Eugene is about as marginal an AAU university as you're going to find and as the flagship, it is by far numero uno in that state.

If the Nevada grad on this board who lives in Bend thinks I'm off base, I encourage him to set me straight.

On 8/2/2022 at 10:26 AM, Spaztecs said:

They used to be the best until urban sprawl and white flight  happened.

Everyone has an opinion and that’s cool. But I work in Mtn. View and have spent a lot of time in Palo Alto/Cal and surrounding areas and the wealth is mind blogging. Now, I wouldn’t live there just because of how congested it is but to say it’s not nice is not based on realty. It’s based on the fact that you went to a small city university and it’s different.  

MWCboarding!! 😂

Palo Alto is absolute shit? Smh. Sure you're not thinking of EAST Palo Alto (which is actually NORTH of Palo Alto)?