Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

On 8/1/2022 at 4:44 PM, Bruininthebay said:

There isn't a provision to 'drop' a school from any NCAA conference - that is why it is easier for USC and UCLA to join the Big Ten for at least one media rights cycle than convince Washington State and Oregon State they should voluntarily leave the Pac 12.

It's also why there will be so much chaos when the ACC breaks apart. 

In my mind schools are slowly consolidating tona more professional model and schools like Vandy and Northwestern will be left behind.  

It will be a new model and division/league so they can be "dropped"

On 8/1/2022 at 12:18 PM, RebelAlliance said:

Brain Sandoval on line 1.

In sincerity, building up the AD's at the other UC's would be the only realistic option, and I don't think Cal and UCLA would be cool with that, and I don't think the Regents (after looking at the financial dumpster fires in the Cal and UCLA athletic departments) would be too cool with it either. 

The landscape of future AAU members out West is pretty barren.

The whole concept of coupling academic standards such as AAU to athletics, specifically football is utterly farcical.  What about basketball?  Here's the makeup of the Big West:

UCSD - AAU

UCSB -AAU

UCR -No

UC Davis - AAU

UCI -AAU

LBSU- No

CSUN- No

CSUF- No

CSUB - No

UH- No

I've notice the Earth hasn't stopped spinning on its axis as far as I can tell, no university has been materially harmed by  these relationships

We won't go into the other myriad athletic relationships for "Oly" sports that do not hew to this "AAU" standard

It's sheer bald faced hypocrisy.  It's nothing more than a lockout spec ( in engineering terms) to eliminate competition in the marketplace.

Meanwhile, Alabama, Auburn, LSU and Georgia are stealing their lunch money. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 8/1/2022 at 1:42 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

In a perfect world, geography would be the key to college football.

1. Establishment of such conferences would actually make sense and would foster more diverse national interest in the sport.

2. Place every FBS (or whatever title) school west of Denver in one of them. (I have no thoughts as to geographical division of the others.)

3. Give the champion of each regional football conference an automatic slot in the playoffs every year.

4. The other dozen playoff participants would be determined by a quadra-partisan committee created by a handsomely paid governing board which would replace the NCAA for football only.

And no, I DON'T have any hope of that ever occurring.

It would work for G5 schools, and any P5 schools left behind.

On 8/1/2022 at 3:26 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

So this pretty much summarizes where we are with the PAC:

ESPN: we would recommend you add Boise, San Diego State, Memphis, and SMU

PAC12: NO 

ESPN- How about Boise State, San Diego State? 

PAC12- Boise does not fit our academic profile

ESPN: 25 million per school for you

PAC12- let's extend negotiation talks

ESPN: Good luck

@Headbutt,  It looks like Woosh's "Mole" was on the warpath again in the P12 corporate offices. Conference brass sent Wonder-Woman to stop the "back channel leak", but the beast was just too powerful. I believe in this pic, the mole is headed back to Woosh's secret data command post locked up tighter than Fort Knox.

image.jpeg.ba9fd0c63519744bc797a9fa24044ed0.jpeg

Memphis?

I mean, you're not wrong. I honestly think the Big 12 needs to call San Diego State right now and make sure the San Diego media knows. That will get this ball rolling. PAC needs to hurry up and kill itself so we all know where the western football landscape stands.

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

Where did you here Memphis?

On 8/1/2022 at 3:29 PM, Cleopatra said:

SDSU a lowlife 2nd Tier institution played Football in a crumbling monstrosity of a Baseball stadium in the $hitty part of SD. UNLV is payed to play Football in a brand new Football stadium overlooking the LV Strip. Not the same pal. They wouldn’t let u put SDSU on the field.

Wow! Somebody rattled Robert's cage, I remember a few years ago when he was all about SDSU and the great potential both UNLV and the Aztecs had with nothing but blue skies for both schools. Now that the Raiders have allowed the Weebles play in their palace, he has delusions of grandeur and a new found contempt for his old pals in San Diego. Well Robert, we all wish you well in your rental unit, the hope is that all 2,000 season ticket holders will be enough to pay for security and rent at Allegiant. Most likely the Rebels will be back at old Sam (whatever) dustbowl in a few short years hoping the next coach will be the one. Meanwhile the "second rate" university in SD will be monetizing their own "on campus" facility generating roughly UNLV annual football budget on a weekly basis and cashing TV checks in amounts that the Vegans could only dream about. Keep on winning loser, oh that's right, winning would be a whole new thing. Ciao Buddy

On 8/1/2022 at 5:25 PM, Willie Cee said:

Wow! Somebody rattled Robert's cage, I remember a few years ago when he was all about SDSU and the great potential both UNLV and the Aztecs had with nothing but blue skies for both schools. Now that the Raiders have allowed the Weebles play in their palace, he has delusions of grandeur and a new found contempt for his old pals in San Diego. Well Robert, we all wish you well in your rental unit, the hope is that all 2,000 season ticket holders will be enough to pay for security and rent at Allegiant. Most likely the Rebels will be back at old Sam (whatever) dustbowl in a few short years hoping the next coach will be the one. Meanwhile the "second rate" university in SD will be monetizing their own "on campus" facility generating roughly UNLV annual football budget on a weekly basis and cashing TV checks in amounts that the Vegans could only dream about. Keep on winning loser, oh that's right, winning would be a whole new thing. Ciao Buddy

He is constantly going on with the same old shit. Pretty sure the Twitterverse gets him going on purpose to laugh at him.

On 8/1/2022 at 3:29 PM, Cleopatra said:

I posted in the other one

this guy is trashing on San Diego St. and SMU on twitter

i actually like Unlv as a choice for the Pac12 but think they are the odd man out.

I think they would be tough to beat out a California school after losing USC and UCLA

They have no good history in football and their BB team has sucked for years. Being desperate is not sexy.

On 8/1/2022 at 3:59 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

It’s not about paying more, it’s about trying to recoup lost money at this point for the PAC and for espn to consolidate their packages.  The PAC payout is going down regardless of how many G5 schools they add.  They (espn) have done this twice in the past year already. They definitely are doing it to the PAC, though to a more extreme magnitude due to the PAC’s diminished leverage comparatively.

Why would ESPN push for this and payout more. How would it benefit remaining Pac teams if payoff per team is not increased. 

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

On 8/1/2022 at 7:32 PM, Mano said:

Why would ESPN push for this and payout more. How would it benefit remaining Pac teams if payoff per team is not increased. 

They wouldn’t payout more.  ‘More’ is not happening either way.  Stop focusing on ‘more’ with the PAC.  Adding teams is for the benefit of the network, not conference.   The PAC has zero leverage, ‘benefit’ to them is survival and the only real way to survive is to increase content and hope it generates more interest than it has currently, which if you listen to anyone other than the three PAC shills (Wilner, Canzano, Thamel) it is minimal.  

On 8/1/2022 at 7:20 PM, Reverend said:

Memphis?

I mean, you're not wrong. I honestly think the Big 12 needs to call San Diego State right now and make sure the San Diego media knows. That will get this ball rolling. PAC needs to hurry up and kill itself so we all know where the western football landscape stands.

Memphis is one of only 4 remaining ‘value neutral’ plays, and geography doesn’t matter anymore so they’ve been involved as much as they can be.  It won’t matter because the PAC won’t go further than the MWC for expansion, there’s no more ‘value added’ left at the G5 level and no extra dollars to be had so the PAC will be ultimately reimagined as a regional conference, not a national conference.  Speculative, but it is what it is.  Big 12 doesn’t need to call sdsu; sdsu has been calling any and everybody for a year now.  Not speculative.  SDSU to the big 12 is a west coast media thing to soften the blow the PAC’s feeling.  The only interest the Big12 has in any western programs is to facilitate the demise of a power conference.  Now that Warren and Yormark have traded notes I’d expect the big 12 to take maybe two if any at all out west and focus on eastward expansion, what their true interest is.  Years away.  PAC is already dead but am excited to see how big they make the new PAC/West conference.  

2 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

They wouldn’t payout more.  ‘More’ is not happening either way.  Stop focusing on ‘more’ with the PAC.  Adding teams is for the benefit of the network, not conference.   The PAC has zero leverage, ‘benefit’ to them is survival and the only real way to survive is to increase content and hope it generates more interest than it has currently, which if you listen to anyone other than the three PAC shills (Wilner, Canzano, Thamel) it is minimal.  

So the lesson here is listen to the moles, not the shills, correct?   And how do we know if someone is a shill?  Is it if they talk about the P12 only?   Or are shills equally distributed across each conference?

2 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Memphis is one of only 4 remaining ‘value neutral’ plays, and geography doesn’t matter anymore so they’ve been involved as much as they can be.  It won’t matter because the PAC won’t go further than the MWC for expansion, there’s no more ‘value added’ left at the G5 level and no extra dollars to be had so the PAC will be ultimately reimagined as a regional conference, not a national conference.  Speculative, but it is what it is.  Big 12 doesn’t need to call sdsu; sdsu has been calling any and everybody for a year now.  Not speculative.  SDSU to the big 12 is a west coast media thing to soften the blow the PAC’s feeling.  The only interest the Big12 has in any western programs is to facilitate the demise of a power conference.  Now that Warren and Yormark have traded notes I’d expect the big 12 to take maybe two if any at all out west and focus on eastward expansion, what their true interest is.  Years away.  PAC is already dead but am excited to see how big they make the new PAC/West conference.  

So in summation:

Memphis is in play but then they're not because well they're not..

The Pac 12, which stands for the Pacific 12 (as in the west coast), is now  being demoted to a regional conference when before they were a national conference?  

SDSU is calling everyone so there is no need for the nB12 to call them... is your source a mole or is the person from the mythical sdsu 'board' telling you that?

Two or three weeks ago you were telling us 4-6 from the P12 to the nB12 was imminent, meaning "about to happen' but now the nB12 doesn't want those 4-6...now maybe they take 2 if those schools are lucky.

Is that about it?  Did I miss anything?

For me, the reason I can't resist replying to your posts is that you try to sound like you are the "in" guy (or girl) and what you say is the real 'truth'... If you were like everyone else and just said, hey, this is what I think will happen and left it at that you wouldn't get such crap ... at least from me anyway.

It’s been pretty embarrassing for b12 fans considering how they’ve responded to the PAC being poached. How many fake breaking news announcements and circlejerk dream scenarios of adding PAC schools we gonna hear about before the season starts?

On 8/1/2022 at 10:57 PM, Someone Else said:

So the lesson here is listen to the moles, not the shills, correct?   And how do we know if someone is a shill?  Is it if they talk about the P12 only?   Or are shills equally distributed across each conference?

If only a couple people say what you want to hear and those people are laughed at by a dozen other writers and subsequently have articles written about how bad a job they did cooking numbers to come to their positions and ultimately do so poorly conveying what they’re supposed to that they have to ‘team up’ with the other shills for a podcast then you are in fact looking at a shill or two.  Be less like the Utenation guy and hmhb.  You’ll feel less dirty in the end.

1 minute ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

If only a couple people say what you want to hear and those people are laughed at by a dozen other writers and subsequently have articles written about how bad a job they did cooking numbers to come to their positions and ultimately do so poorly conveying what they’re supposed to that they have to ‘team up’ with the other shills for a podcast then you are in fact looking at a shill or two.  Be less like the Utenation guy and hmhb.  You’ll feel less dirty in the end.

Less dirty in the end?  The end of what?

I think maybe you should read my second reply to you.  Pay close attention to the last paragraph.  Actually if that's the only paragraph you pay attention to it would do you some good... in the end that is.

On 8/1/2022 at 11:06 PM, Someone Else said:

So in summation:

Memphis is in play but then they're not because well they're not..

No

The Pac 12, which stands for the Pacific 12 (as in the west coast), is now  being demoted to a regional conference when before they were a national conference?  

Yes

SDSU is calling everyone so there is no need for the nB12 to call them... is your source a mole or is the person from the mythical sdsu 'board' telling you that?

Yes

Two or three weeks ago you were telling us 4-6 from the P12 to the nB12 was imminent, meaning "about to happen' but now the nB12 doesn't want those 4-6...now maybe they take 2 if those schools are lucky.

Yes and No

Did I miss anything?

A lot.  But you’re on brand at least.

For me, the reason I can't resist replying to your posts is that you try to sound like you are the "in" guy (or girl) and what you say is the real 'truth'... If you were like everyone else and just said, hey, this is what I think will happen and left it at that you wouldn't get such crap ... at least from me anyway.

Covered above but yes, you miss a lot, including me not only clearly delineating what I think vs what I know (evidenced on this very page) but I am also one of the only ones who own my mistakes when they’re wrong.  

On 8/1/2022 at 11:37 PM, Someone Else said:

Less dirty in the end?  The end of what?

I think maybe you should read my second reply to you.  Pay close attention to the last paragraph.  Actually if that's the only paragraph you pay attention to it would do you some good... in the end that is.

In the end…when whatever outcome arises and it turns out that I was actually on track and you look the fool (with the others).  It’s happened several times already in the 3+ years I’ve been here but yet you continue to hitch your wagon to those previously mentioned people.   It’ll feel dirty because the stuff I’m saying is EVERYWHERE, it’s not me coming up with stuff.  The stuff you and those others have trouble with is literally out there already.  You seem relatively thoughtful for an anonymous internet person….how you carry yourself matters.  It’s ok to not like someone’s delivery but how you treat relative strangers says a lot about who you are.