Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

On 7/7/2022 at 6:51 PM, Spaztecs said:

UW plays to 94% capacity. Pretty awesome considering they have had some down years.

Surprisingly, Wazzu is at 93% and Colorado at 91%.

Washington fans support their sports teams. Their MSL team, the Seattle Sounders, always lead the MSL in attendance.

On 7/9/2022 at 5:35 PM, Aztec1984 said:

You're right. SDSU ranks #148 in national universities via USN&WR. Right there at #148 with Alabama. The SEC seems to value academics lower that other conferences.

Boise State is an example where academics has potentially held back a successful football program. However, each year they are making significant improvements to academics and external research funding.

I do agree BYU’s lack of AAU or R1 status hasn’t impacted them as the BIG and PAC are the only two conferences where it might have mattered. BYU has some great academic programs. 

On 7/8/2022 at 9:51 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

I don't have the data on hand, and completely capitulate academic stature in favor of UW, but a better metric to attractiveness vs admissions is to see out of those accepted, what is the percentage that choose to enroll.  My hypothesis would be that UW has a higher percentage. 

SDSU can thank them for the application fee, but SDSU is a fall back for many aiming to get into schools on UW's pedigree.

That said, SDSU is an undervalued school with a hyperbolic perception of inferiority in the general, and larger, category of undergraduate education.  Viewing a university as a lesser entity while also being buddies with the schools who play an active role in making that the way is like restricting a farms water rights, and then turning your nose at them when their crops don't have a larger yield then their neighbors that benefitted off of it.

Yes, SDSU is a "fallback" choice to many freshmen which will reduce our acceptance rate. I'd say you can say that about many other universities. However, those we do accept seem to have pretty good qualifications. Do you not agree?  I am not sure what you mean about having a "hyperbolic perception of inferiority in the general".  I graduated from SDSU and I don't feel "inferior?" I suppose that is because I am sitting on my wallet.

On 7/8/2022 at 1:11 PM, Cleopatra said:

John Wilner referenced adding San Diego St. and SMU as the top fits

but it won't bring value necessarily

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/analysis-pac-12-media-valuations-suggest-expansion-doesnt-make-financial-sense/?amp=1

Paywall, so I cannot read it. However, were the PAC10 to remain together then I would like to see SDSU in it. After that you can make a play for SMU, BSU, FSU and some others. To be really bold you bring in Gonzaga and another BB school only.

On 7/8/2022 at 8:02 PM, Spot50B said:

Financially, the 10 PAC schools remaining are better off staying put. Adding AZ, AZ State, Utah and Colorado will not increase the payout in the BIG-12. The only reason a school would make a move right now would be be for more perceived stability. The only reason a conference would make a move right now would be to cripple the other conference. It could turn out to be a prisoner's dilemma situation.

The picture moves. The remaining PAC schools are not worth as much as just subtracting USC and UCLA from their current contract. Their worth will be determined by what they are offered without those two schools.

13 minutes ago, Half-Man is All-Tyrant said:

How does tied for #18 in the UPI Coach's Poll equate to a "natty?"

C8750968-1BDC-496B-8F00-938CE1BACF25.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_NCAA_University_Division_football_rankings

I believe the UCSB fan was making a joke... back then (1969) SDSU was in the 'small school' division... so it was like a D2 championship 

On 7/9/2022 at 10:57 AM, jewelz4562000 said:

Lol we want as many viewers as possible.  Ok this team has the most viewers it's proven.  That's not a good idea. Literally have the IQ of a door knob to process thought like they do.

You ain't getting more viewers than SDSU.  Sorry, Chris Petersen left 9 years ago.

On 7/9/2022 at 4:53 PM, Chowderaggie said:

Boise State is an example where academics has potentially held back a successful football program. However, each year they are making significant improvements to academics and external research funding.

I do agree BYU’s lack of AAU or R1 status hasn’t impacted them as the BIG and PAC are the only two conferences where it might have mattered. BYU has some great academic programs. 

OK, I posted the fact that SDSU and Alabama are ranked the same academically just to make the point that academics matter only when someone decides it matters. Were someone off the street to be asked about the academics of either institution, I expect the answer would be that Alabama was vastly superior to SDSU. Why? Well, they have a great football program. When I go through the SEC I don't see a lot of outstanding  universities.

As for BYU, I don't think it was academics that kept they out of the PAC. The California schools have always decided who gets into the PAC.

On 7/9/2022 at 5:20 PM, Someone Else said:

I believe the UCSB fan was making a joke... back then (1969) SDSU was in the 'small school' division... so it was like a D2 championship 

And we played a game that you could not see anywhere else. We would have beaten many "old school" teams just because of that at that time. The modern game of football has its roots at SDSU where we had Don Coryell, John Madden and Joe Gibbs in our program. The latter two in the NFL HOF. Coryell? Both Madden and Giggs have advocated his ascension into the HOF. Coryell turned NFL owners from millionaires into billionaires. No NFL owner should be in the HOF before Coryell.

It was a joke about UCF's "natty."

On 7/8/2022 at 9:35 AM, alum93 said:

I never thought inviting every conference champ was the right way to crown an NCAA champion.  There are 130+ teams and conferences like the MAC (or insert whatever G5 conference people want to make fun of) have nothing in common top to bottom with the SEC, BiG, ACC, P12, B12.  To say the MAC conference champ should automatically get a golden ticket to a playoff at the exclusion of top P5 teams that played monster schedules and say lost 2 or 3 games just doesn't seem right.  Not that it matters now anyway.  I would have thought inviting the top G5 team made much more sense in a top 8 playoff.   There are always a few G5 teams that put a great team on the field, sometimes they are in the same conference.  G5 teams should have been included in a playoff,  but not just because they won a conference.  An 8 team playoff that included at least one G5 team would have been a better model than the one we ended up with.  With the ridiculous SEC and BiG expansions, a formal break is coming sooner rather than later.  We'll see how it turns out for the G5 conferences in the long run.  I'm a glass half full guy and i think getting out of the arms race for most G5 schools will be beneficial.  Having a Ohio State qb worth millions without ever taking a snap has nothing to do with being a student athlete.  If that's the model they want, more power to them.  I'll continue to watch the G5 schools out west that my team plays more than the big boys.  

And I'm game for that too, P5 conf champs, top G5, and 2 at large is fine by me too

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

I know he was kidding.

I thought the same thing as you with the D-1AA/"Small School" thing.  However, I did a lil' digging I found out that 1969 was the yr CSU-Diego moved up from the "College Division" to the "University Division."  That's the first I've heard of those classifications.

87B1DCFC-7761-4F3A-A051-BB89E9D23C2A.jpeg

730663EE-D7FB-4955-B64C-0A7118CE8F90.jpeg

SDSU was in the championships for BB in 1939 and 1940. We won the national title in 1941. We also one the national title in Men's Volleyball ib 1973.

Under Coryell and Gilbert, we would have done well in a decent bowl game. Back then, there were less than a dozen.

On 7/9/2022 at 8:53 PM, Half-Man is All-Tyrant said:

Who is @MHver3 & why should be listen to what he has to say?:

https://twitter.com/MHver3/status/1545438809894133761?s=20&t=u27gUzCeO5AYxqVOZGByLg

He is as fake as a strippers tits. Pay zero attention to him. No one gets info on weekends (Accept him apparently) and he deletes tweets constantly.

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

18 minutes ago, Reverend said:

He is as fake as a strippers tits. Pay zero attention to him. No one gets info on weekends (Accept him apparently) and he deletes tweets constantly.

Agreed,  Why on earth would those 3 schools contact the MWC??? Like they are all afraid they'll end up in the big sky if they don't get on things early? These twitter guys are worse than posters here!

On 7/8/2022 at 12:14 PM, RebelAlliance said:

At what point do the B1G and SEC say enough is enough and freeze out ND. Notre Dame "may" not need them, but they absolutely don't need Notre Dame.  Ohio State could have Fresno State coming in to start the season, and that stadium is still going to be sold out. Stubhub might take a beating, but Ohio State not so much. At some point Notre Dame's selfish arrogance will go to far, and I think the only way they'll realize it is after it's already happened. 

Because the Golden Domers, like U$CLA, will increase the payout per School and because of the Brand would probably lift the B1G's status above the SEC. Until they add Clemson.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 7/8/2022 at 4:12 PM, since1670 said:

There is some value in keeping the conference in existence.

What value would that be ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 7/9/2022 at 9:38 PM, Spaztecs said:

Because the Golden Domers, like U$CLA, will increase the payout per School and because of the Brand would probably lift the B1G's status above the SEC. Until they add Clemson.

Little ol Clemson?