Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

On 7/6/2022 at 8:26 PM, utgrizfan said:

Also found this on the CSNBBS  this (don't know if it's been posted here yet) and I have no idea if this guy is credible or not.

Screenshot_20220706-202402_Chrome.jpg

An expiration date of 30 days?  I call BS on the whole post based on that.  A commish with testicles, or a fool?

On 7/6/2022 at 10:26 PM, utgrizfan said:

Also found this on the CSNBBS  this (don't know if it's been posted here yet) and I have no idea if this guy is credible or not.

Screenshot_20220706-202402_Chrome.jpg

Pretty sure this Swaim guy is yet another one of those realignment trolls that's been throwing around BS for the past decade.

0mK6pGK.png

On 7/6/2022 at 6:28 PM, Someone Else said:

The Pac's main problem is that Stanford doesn't really need the Pac or football so if the Pac wants to keep together they can't really tell Stanford to swallow their pride.  Cal on the other hand needs money, so they need Oregon, UW, Az, ASU, Uta, & Co but they need Stanford more.  jmo

Stanford was in such financial straits a couple of years ago, they were going to cancel a bunch of oly's.  They got sued and re-instated them. So basically, they run their department at a deficit.  They need the money as next as the next school.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 7/6/2022 at 7:45 PM, Someone Else said:

Well, there may be an article but that's even a sillier rumor... never would stanford even consider that... as I said, they don't even need football... they certainly weren't going to ever go to the b12... 

Stanford and Cal wasn't part of it. It was the other six. The other six wanted Cal and Stanford to come to but they don't wanna be associated with religious schools. Other PAC schools didn't wanna go to far east.

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

6 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Stanford was in such financial straits a couple of years ago, they were going to cancel a bunch of oly's.  They got sued and re-instated them. So basically, they run their department at a deficit.  They need the money as next as the next school.

Not being disrespectful but do you mean Cal and not Stanford?

On 7/6/2022 at 10:42 PM, Someone Else said:

Not being disrespectful but do you mean Cal and not Stanford?

He is correct.  Stanford of all schools were struggling to fund Olympic sports. They have a ton of money but it is marked for academics. 

On 7/6/2022 at 9:45 PM, rebelcuff said:

He is correct.  Stanford of all schools were struggling to fund Olympic sports. They have a ton of money but it is marked for academics. 

They have a billion dollar endowment just for sports.  But they also have 36 sports and 850 athletes.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 7/6/2022 at 6:49 PM, Spaztecs said:

From The UofU 2012 financial impact of the Pac12 report.

Microsoft Word - Pac 12 - Pac-12 Report Summary 08-15-2013 DOC - final.doc (utah.edu)

As I stated in an earlier post,which was denigrated by a couple of know-it-all douchebags that like to post here, there are creative ways for SDSU to get an invite.  All that dirt you see around the stadium represents a goldmine of opportunity.  Although SDSU wants to call it SDSU West Campus, the reality is the vast majority of that dirt will be used to generate income streams for the university ( housing), development partners ( hotels, offices, market rate apartments) and the athletic department (retail and restaurant spaces). Of course, some office/lab space will be generated to accommodate some academic pursuits but that's a relatively small part.  ALL of this works better with Pac affiliation.  In addition, there's THIS:

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/13/pac-12-progress-conference-presidents-chancellors-discuss-relocating-hq/

1. The conference is looking for a deal on office space. We have the ability to deliver it, spec.  Why wouldn't that be part of any offer SDSU would make to the conference?

2. We come in at a TV discount ( which would still represent an upgrade over the MWC deal)

3. We potentially offer a percentage of game day sales from the surrounding development to each school for the first 5 years.

The only limit is imagination and risk tolerance.  Even if the conference falls apart in a few years, we're better suited and more attractive to other partners.

Now is the time to be creative and aggressive.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Swaim's a radio host in Oklahoma, alleged ties to Okla State.

Roughly equivalent to the 247Sports guys in Waco.  

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

16 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

Just read an article in Forbes about it.  Seems they were dropping what they felt were an excessive number of sports. They were sued as SDSUfan says and the sports were reinstated.  What I also got out of that article is due to alumni support they no longer have a problem funding their sports.

Ultimately, Stanford is more concerned with academic reputation and their conference decisions seem to be governed by their academic reputation and not by money from sports.  (meaning they can go indy in football if they want)

On 7/6/2022 at 8:00 PM, Someone Else said:

Just read an article in Forbes about it.  Seems they were dropping what they felt were an excessive number of sports. They were sued as SDSUfan says and the sports were reinstated.  What I also got out of that article is due to alumni support they no longer have a problem funding their sports.

Ultimately, Stanford is more concerned with academic reputation and their conference decisions seem to be governed by their academic reputation and not money from sports.  

Yeah I can speak to Water Polo.  The coach’s salary and full costs of the NCAA limit 4 scholarships is fully endowed.  

On 7/6/2022 at 9:03 PM, sactowndog said:

Yeah I can speak to Water Polo.  The coach’s salary and full costs of the NCAA limit 4 scholarships is fully endowed.  

That could potentially change though right if they pass a rule that all athletes get full schollies in the future?  

On 7/6/2022 at 8:45 PM, azgreg said:

I don't know who he either but what ever.

I'm going to immediately ignore anybody who thinks I need to be waiting to read my morning paper to find the latest news.....

On 7/6/2022 at 9:03 PM, sactowndog said:

Yeah, we tried that.  Water Polo.  Tell the swimmers to swim all year, and fool Title IX.  It won't last.  You're going to have to actually fund a sport.  It'll happen.