Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

On 7/5/2022 at 10:56 AM, Jack Bauer said:

They aren't a national brand like Oregon. They're just another Oklahoma State or Baylor.

That’s an arbitrary point because you don’t like Pac12 schools because they don’t dig magic underwear. Also facts. 

On 7/5/2022 at 12:19 PM, utgrizfan said:

This could actually lead to the ACC being saved. They would probably give in to NDs demands more so then the BIG10 to get them as a full member and then expand themselves. The P5 could become the P4

I have been saying for years that we would end up with P4 with 16 teams each.  Maybe it's not 16 each.  Maybe its 20, 20, 12, 12, or something like that.  One of the 3 of ACC, P12, and B12 ends up going away and being absorbed into the other 2.  Heck, even P3 with 20+ teams each could work.  Either way,  the big boys are finally saying they want to take the money and separate.  I think in the end it will be better for the 70 G5 schools to get back to some type of normalcy with their own playoff.

On 7/5/2022 at 11:19 AM, Reverend said:

Cal isn't big enough of a brand to do that. Might as well drop football.

Cal has to much football debt to go indy or drop football. They will join the MW along with WSU and OSU and hope for a B-12 invite when they get raided.

On 7/5/2022 at 11:24 AM, Reverend said:

If it's negligible there is no reason to go.

Correct. If he's right, both the B12 and P12 live and perhaps make no further moves. 

On 7/5/2022 at 12:24 PM, Reverend said:

Stability and survival I would think are 2 big factors to leave, not to mention any issues they may have with remaining Conference mates (Stanford and Cal).

On 7/5/2022 at 12:20 PM, NevadaFan said:

That’s an arbitrary point because you don’t like Pac12 schools because they don’t dig magic underwear. Also facts. 

No it's not.

I don't really care that much either way and my opinion doesn't matter.

Washington doesn't command the same cachet nationally as Oregon, that's objectively true. They aren't the big national player fans here and in the West think they are. People on the other side of the country care about Oregon. The same cant be said for Washington. They're just another team.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Just a reminder, the move to negotiate tv deal immediately will also be connected to singing a new GOR...this is sort of what I was predicating. Who knows if it will work but clearly the PAC is trying to survive at the moment. 

On 7/5/2022 at 2:27 PM, utgrizfan said:

Stability and survival I would think are 2 big factors to leave, not to mention any issues they may have with remaining Conference mates (Stanford and Cal)

I mean, they'd be more stable and survive if everyone stopped trying to leave.

0mK6pGK.png

On 7/5/2022 at 12:28 PM, BoiseStateOfMind said:

I mean, they'd be more stable and survive if everyone stopped trying to leave.

Can blame Oregon and Washington for that, they played their hand forcing Utah, Colorado and the Arizonas to explore other options.

On 7/5/2022 at 12:28 PM, AztecSU said:

Just a reminder, the move to negotiate tv deal immediately will also be connected to singing a new GOR...this is sort of what I was predicating. Who knows if it will work but clearly the PAC is trying to survive at the moment. 

You think Oregon and Washington - both waiting on a BigTen invite - are going to sign a GOR?  

v0icAvfW.jpg

On 7/5/2022 at 11:24 AM, Reverend said:

The difference is that the Pac-12 is unstable knowing O and W want out and the 4 corner teams might increase their income going to the B-12 especially if O and W join.

On 7/5/2022 at 11:30 AM, NorCalCoug said:

You think Oregon and Washington - both waiting on a BigTen invite - are going to sign a GOR?  

As a pair they are $40m short of the threshold they supposedly need to meet to join. The only reason they shouldn't is the B10 left the door open that they might pull them in later which is totally possible but will hurt their earning potential until they join. And if they are trying to join the B10 why go to the B12 temporarily?

On 7/5/2022 at 11:25 AM, wolf from 73 said:

Cal has to much football debt to go indy or drop football. They will join the MW along with WSU and OSU and hope for a B-12 invite when they get raided.

These folks don't think like you or I do.  Ya know, rationally.  This is Cal we're talking about. 

On 7/5/2022 at 12:32 PM, AztecSU said:

As a pair they are $40m short of the threshold they supposedly need to meet to join. The only reason they shouldn't is the B10 left the door open that they might pull them in later which is totally possible but will hurt their earning potential until they join. And if they are trying to join the B10 why go to the B12 temporarily?

You could probably negotiate something in that lets you leave if the B1G comes calling, I would think.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg