Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

On 7/3/2022 at 12:58 PM, Wyobraska said:

Stanford and ND have played 35 games against one another.  What makes you think it is so important to them?

They've played each other in football 24 of the last 25 seasons and are scheduled to play each other each of the next three seasons. Since ND can schedule anyone they want, that means something to me.

On 7/3/2022 at 1:24 PM, AztecSU said:

Is this the first moneymaker thread of the ‘kills era? Realignment always seems to be a good topic for board revenue, lol.

I’ll add to this thread: Hawaii to the Big Ten, non-revenue sports to the PAC 12

On 7/3/2022 at 3:28 PM, 415hawaiiboy said:

I’ll add to this thread: Hawaii to the Big Ten, non-revenue sports to the PAC 12

If I ran the PAC-12 I would grab Hawaii Football fast and give them 12 home Football games in Oahu.

Hawaii vs PAC-12 every Saturday Night at 9pm PST

12 Saturdays of island football last game of the night on ESPN!  Every bar in the country would still have ESPN on from the days college football games and the PAC-12 would rule the airwaves for that slot.

Late night Football across the country.  Every week!

People love Hawaii and they love tradition.  Knowing that game is there late night every Saturday would get good ratings and build a strong fan base over the years if kept consistent.

Well, having now finished reading all of this morning's latest news, it looks like all of the dominoes are lining up to fall in one of two ways.

Scenario 1: Notre Dame opts to join the Big 10; Stanford is invited along with them; Oregon and Washington are denied immediate Big 10 invitations because they don't add enough monetary value but are told they may be reconsidered later on; the Pac-12 will then try to stage a raid on the Big 12 but fail because of the Pac-12's perceived continuing instability; the failed raid will convince Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado to bail for the Big 12; Oregon and Washington will have no choice but to follow; the remaining three Pac-12 members will rebuild with 7-9 MWC schools, effectively destroying our conference.

Scenario 2: Notre Dame and the Big 10 don't come to terms; the Big 10 announces it's going to stand pat for the time being but will keep Oregon and Washington on speed-dial; the Pac-12 and Big 12 will then try to raid each other but fail because they're too closely balanced (similar to MWC versus AAC); attempts at merging will also fail because neither conference is willing to dump its bottom-feeders; the Pac-12 will reluctantly bring membership back to 12 by adding SDSU and (fill in your favorite MWC school's name here); the MWC will backfill with UTEP and Montana.

On 7/3/2022 at 1:57 PM, RebelRobert said:

Problem is you could only get 20k in football when you are winning and maybe 10k in basketball when you are top 25.

UNLV has a much higher ceiling.  UNLV when in the Top 25 puts 50,000+ in Allegiant and 15,000+ in the T&M.

UNLV is the giant that could/will become a powerhouse. SDSU is just a Cal state school.

So UNLV has been in the top 25 since the completion of Allegiant? Did you mean when or if the Rebels get into the top 25? 

Can't disagree too much regarding SDSU's past attendance. An announced crowd of 20K for a conference championship game was a disgrace. There may have only been 10K in the stands. The new stadium and school expansion should take care of that. It looks like the community is starting to embrace SDSU. 

On 7/3/2022 at 1:41 PM, AztecAlien said:

So UNLV has been in the top 25 since the completion of Allegiant? Did you mean when or if the Rebels get into the top 25? 

Can't disagree too much regarding SDSU's past attendance. An announced crowd of 20K for a conference championship game was a disgrace. There may have only been 10K in the stands. The new stadium and school expansion should take care of that. It looks like the community is starting to embrace SDSU. 

God, playing AFA did not help at all. I was shocked at that crowd, we had more show up to the first 3 home games the same season. I hope that the new stadium helps but in CA the snobbery never ends. Without moving to a “better” conference with brand names I will doubt our local support until it sustains for awhile. Of course voting to give SDSU the stadium land was obviously a great sign. 

On 7/3/2022 at 2:36 PM, HawaiiMongoose said:

Well, having now finished reading all of this morning's latest news, it looks like all of the dominoes are lining up to fall in one of two ways.

Scenario 1: Notre Dame opts to join the Big 10; Stanford is invited along with them; Oregon and Washington are denied immediate Big 10 invitations because they don't add enough monetary value but are told they may be reconsidered later on; the Pac-12 will then try to stage a raid on the Big 12 but fail because of the Pac-12's perceived continuing instability; the failed raid will convince Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado to bail for the Big 12; Oregon and Washington will have no choice but to follow; the remaining three Pac-12 members will rebuild with 7-9 MWC schools, effectively destroying our conference.

Scenario 2: Notre Dame and the Big 10 don't come to terms; the Big 10 announces it's going to stand pat for the time being but will keep Oregon and Washington on speed-dial; the Pac-12 and Big 12 will then try to raid each other but fail because they're too closely balanced (similar to MWC versus AAC); attempts at merging will also fail because neither conference is willing to dump its bottom-feeders; the Pac-12 will reluctantly bring membership back to 12 by adding SDSU and (fill in your favorite MWC school's name here); the MWC will backfill with UTEP and Montana.

I've read that if Notre Dame decides to forgo Independence they are contracted to join the ACC.  That may not stop them from going to the B10 but financially any contracted member of the ACC that decides to leave has to give up their media rights revenues "regardless of conference affiliation" for the remainder of the ACC grant of rights contract which is good for another 14 years.  Notre Dame is under that contract due to all their sports being in the ACC.  Ouch.   I'm sure the legal team at Notre Dame is studying this aspect very carefully.

EDIT:  they would have to give their media rights revenue for home games only.

Stamp.

Ukrainian postage stamp honoring Snake Island soldiers

On 7/3/2022 at 10:50 AM, SpaceForced said:

I've read that if Notre Dame decides to forgo Independence they are contracted to join the ACC.  That may not stop them from going to the B10 but financially any contracted member of the ACC that decides to leave has to give up their media rights revenues "regardless of conference affiliation" for the remainder of the ACC grant of rights contract which is good for another 14 years.  Notre Dame is under that contract due to all their sports being in the ACC.  Ouch.   I'm sure the legal team at Notre Dame is studying this aspect very carefully.

Yep, I've read that too.  I've also seen estimates that the cost of an ACC GOR buyout for Notre Dame would be between $100 million and $150 million.  I don't think that's enough to keep them from making the move if they think it's in their long-term interests.  Heck, the Big 10 may even be willing to help absorb some of the cost.

Or maybe Phil Knight will pay for it if the Big 10 agrees to include an Oregon invitation in the deal, LOL.

On 7/3/2022 at 1:36 PM, HawaiiMongoose said:

You know human nature well.  I see this happening most likely.  However, I think also a Super Duper Conference set up would see UW and Oregon (and Stanford/Cal) in the B1G (goes to 20).  In which case the PAC-12 (already with SDSU +1) gets raided by the B12 and becomes MWC 2.0 with Wazzu, Beavs.  Somebody from the MWC might get left out, but then again there’s slim pickings so we all might get into this weakened P12 (and all feel so cool with the P12 moniker that we’ve been dreaming about and laughed at by current snobby P12 fans). 

If ND goes to a conference it will be the only good thing to come out of this.  

ND will go to a conference and be lucky to make a conference title once every 25 years.  No more bullshit playoff appearances for them. 

On 7/3/2022 at 1:36 PM, RebelRobert said:

If I ran the PAC-12 I would grab Hawaii Football fast and give them 12 home Football games in Oahu.

12 Saturdays of island football last game of the night on ESPN!  Every bar in the country would still have ESPN on from the days college football games and the PAC-12 would rule the airwaves for that slot.

People love Hawaii and they love tradition.  Knowing that game is there late night every Saturday would get good ratings and build a strong fan base over the years if kept consistent.

You already know cuz! @kalua pig

It's because we now have our own cozy stadium, not the city's monstrosity which was originally a baseball stadium.

On 7/3/2022 at 1:36 PM, RebelRobert said:

RebelRobert for PAC 12 commish!  

I wonder if our players/recruits would mind playing ALL home games.  National tv and good opponents every week, maybe not.  And a Mainland Bowl Game and International Week Zero game.  Also no byes.  Need to make MONEY.  Money never sleeps (or need healing, or studying). 

On 7/3/2022 at 12:42 PM, RebelRobert said:

As SDSU fans know, everything goes in cycles and schools go through dry spells in sports occasionally (SDSU knows this well).

UNLV is the giant of the MWC and the only one with any potential for big time success.

Not true - we’ve been told repeatedly by the experts on this board that Boise’s best years are behind them.

On 7/3/2022 at 12:57 PM, RebelRobert said:

Problem is you could only get 20k in football when you are winning and maybe 10k in basketball when you are top 25.

UNLV has a much higher ceiling.  UNLV when in the Top 25 puts 50,000+ in Allegiant and 15,000+ in the T&M.

UNLV is the giant that could/will become a powerhouse. SDSU is just a Cal state school.

Hell, when have you ever even sniffed a top 25 in football? Your football attendance record is just 35K. As for BB, perhaps you should keep a coach for more than two years before thinking you are still relevant.

Your last sentence isn't even worthy of commenting on. 

On 7/3/2022 at 1:02 PM, Gator 82 said:

What does attendance have to with quality of facilities? Allegiant Stadium is just as beautiful empty as it is full.

It... ain't... yours. 

You do understand that we have played the last 2 years in Carson, the armpit of LA which also happens to be a 120 mile commute, right? When the Chargers played there they had to cover seats as well.