Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleopatra

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12

On 6/30/2022 at 5:39 PM, Reverend said:

You might not wanna get too cocky sir.

I only said what I said in reply to the snarky comment from NorCal. Why that guy still has a hard-on for SDSU after all these years is beyond me.

On 6/30/2022 at 5:48 PM, Jack Bauer said:

Here.

You stay here.  You aren't going to the B12 if teams like Arizona, ASU, Utah, and CU are available. They'd take Boise before you.

Yep but here just added WSU and OSU and became more valuable as the only truely west coast conference 

On 6/30/2022 at 6:48 PM, Jack Bauer said:

Here.

You stay here.  You aren't going to the B12 if teams like Arizona, ASU, Utah, and CU are available. They'd take Boise before you.

As a Montana fan the way this is playing out this is kind of sad, was hoping we would have a shot but but oh well.  Maybe the WAC will finally be an FBS conference in a 100 years

On 6/30/2022 at 6:49 PM, Reverend said:

How does this sound? Notre Dame, Washington, Oregon and Stanford to the Big 10.

The rest of the PAC stays put and takes from the MWC.

I would see schools going to the big 12 before staying in what's left of the Conference

On 6/30/2022 at 5:45 PM, sactowndog said:

The snobbery comes from Cal and Stanford.   From Mandel’s article. ….

Poor California and Stanford
It’s crazy to think that two of the most successful athletic departments in the country, which between them have produced hundreds of Olympians, could be relegated to de facto Group of 5 status. But I’d sooner see the two Bay Area schools forming some sort of new consortium with similar academic institutions than getting into bed with schools like Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. (No offense, guys. Academic rankings are snobby and subjective, if you ask me.)

I don't feel sorry for Stanford and Cal at all.

On 6/30/2022 at 5:45 PM, sactowndog said:

The snobbery comes from Cal and Stanford.   From Mandel’s article. ….

Poor California and Stanford
It’s crazy to think that two of the most successful athletic departments in the country, which between them have produced hundreds of Olympians, could be relegated to de facto Group of 5 status. But I’d sooner see the two Bay Area schools forming some sort of new consortium with similar academic institutions than getting into bed with schools like Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. (No offense, guys. Academic rankings are snobby and subjective, if you ask me.)

Well, football drives the bus, basketball is next. Neither Stanford or Cal has been good at either the last few years...

On 6/30/2022 at 6:49 PM, Reverend said:

I would like it.  And there may be verbal agreement among those 7 PAC teams to hold firm, but would they actually rebuke a Big 12 offer.  

On 6/30/2022 at 5:50 PM, trvitmvnz said:

BIG is bringing UW, Oregon, Cal & Stanford and call it a day at 20

Maybe.  Colorado is likely a better market and has a history with Nebraska 

Bay Area is a horrible college market.  

On 6/30/2022 at 5:49 PM, Reverend said:

That wouldn't be terrible from the standpoint of SDSU. However, it assumes that the B12 stands pat, and I don't think they will. In order to be relevant they would need to expand, and west is the only direction that would make sense for them. 

On 6/30/2022 at 5:41 PM, utgrizfan said:

That's a long drawn out way of saying "well we're +++++ed"

The Conference of Champions motto started getting stale the day Oklahoma and Nebraska (?) won their restraint of trade lawsuit against the NCAA which allowed conferences to negotiate their own TV deals. 40 years later college sports status is all about football revenue and that motto stinks like rotten fish.

Potential Big10 addition pairings:

Oregon and Washington

Utah and Colorado

Arizona and Arizona State

Cal and Stanford

If they take 4 to get to 20 id like to see Oregon, Washington, Utah and Colorado. Would give you the best combination of name brands to go along with UCLA and USC, arguably the best team in the Pac12 right now and a historical rival with Nebraska.

On 6/30/2022 at 5:54 PM, Aztec1984 said:

That wouldn't be terrible from the standpoint of SDSU. However, it assumes that the B12 stands pat, and I don't think they will. In order to be relevant they would need to expand, and west is the only direction that would make sense for them. 

Well Colorado is a no brainer.  Utah is a good school and travel partner but they could be F’d.  

On 6/30/2022 at 5:50 PM, trvitmvnz said:

BIG is bringing UW, Oregon, Cal & Stanford and call it a day at 20

I saw that mentioned by a sportswriter on Twitter earlier, I forget which one though (there's so many). Anyway, I think you're probably right.