Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coog kev

Aztecs for OOC

As previously mentioned around these parts, Coogs really, really like playing westward teams for OOC.  We already have Boise, UNLV, Utah, Colorado for upcoming, wonderful homey/homey action through 2028.  For 2024 it's hosting UNLV and our first ever game with Boise at Boise.  For 2025, Coogs host both Boise and Colorado.  For 2024 and 2025, we have an opportunity in the 3 OOC game schedule.

Bring on San Diego State for an excellent homey/homey.  Aztecs are busy in 2024 but 2025 is open.  As is 2027 forward for some bits. 

I propose this.  Coogs at Aztecs in 2025.  Aztecs returning the solid in 2027 or 2028 and 2028 looks better for Aztec OOC. 

image.jpeg.a9cde6db63f09c2b1fc15d4c8026d565.jpeg        image.jpeg.dca3a400d28975620306f0d976f7fef2.jpeg

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

It's no secret that SDSU aspires to be asked to join the B12. As such, it would behoove the Aztecs to schedule B12 teams whenever they offer to do so.

Provided, that is, that it's home and home. The days when SDSU had to accept two-fers or one-offs in order to play power conference opponents are over.

On 6/26/2022 at 11:32 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

It's no secret that SDSU aspires to be asked to join the B12. As such, it would behoove the Aztecs to schedule B12 teams whenever they offer to do so.

Provided, that is, that it's home and home. The days when SDSU had to accept two-fers or one-offs in order to play power conference opponents are over.

Isn't that why they have scheduled two Pac home/home for the last decade ? To prove they belong competetively and at the gate ?

It would have benefited the program immensely to do a roadie/neutral site with Bama.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 6/26/2022 at 12:15 PM, Spaztecs said:

Isn't that why they have scheduled two Pac home/home for the last decade ? To prove they belong competetively and at the gate ?

It would have benefited the program immensely to do a roadie/neutral site with Bama.

Immensely? How so

On 6/25/2022 at 8:17 PM, Coog kev said:

Bring on San Diego State for an excellent homey/homey.  Aztecs are busy in 2024 but 2025 is open.  As is 2027 forward for some bits. 

I propose this.  Coogs at Aztecs in 2025.  Aztecs returning the solid in 2027 or 2028 and 2028 looks better for Aztec OOC. 

image.jpeg.a9cde6db63f09c2b1fc15d4c8026d565.jpeg        image.jpeg.dca3a400d28975620306f0d976f7fef2.jpeg

As a season ticket holder I would love to see this matchup, and I hope SDSU transitions to 3 or even 4 P5 out of conference games in the future. 

Tough memory for me. My junior year 1972, we ventured down to Houston and got dismantled by a very talented Cougar team (Our ONLY loss of the year) hard to get over, even after all these years. Claude Gilbert probably still gets nightmares of those charging bulls on the scoreboard at the Astrodome. 

You are correct, sir.  We did a homey/homey a long while back.  Coogs won both.  I may want a tad bit of revenge for the Aztec beat down in 2016 for the Vegas Bowl.  Anywho, I think this will be a very fine homey/homey between our two squads, especially with the wonderment of Snapdragon coming online this year.  Who doesn't dig a trip to San Diego for any reason, you tell me. 

On 6/26/2022 at 12:15 PM, Spaztecs said:

Sure. However, if you ask most people on aztecfootball.proboards.com, we have no chance of ever getting into the P12 in their lifetime, my lifetime, my son's lifetime and if he ever gets around to having kids, their lifetime.

I disagree but rarely say that anymore because it's pointless. To those guys, it's Big12 or bust (bust=MWC forever).

On 6/26/2022 at 1:15 PM, Spaztecs said:

On 6/26/2022 at 2:04 PM, AztecSU said:

Immensely? How so

I don't see how it would have benefited SDSU unless you are talking a strict pay day but I don't see SDSU as needing the money.  

With the Aztecs style of play, I don't see them matching up well with Bama. I think you would struggle to establish your ground game and would be forced to throw more.  Not a great recipe for past SDSU teams.  

It would have probably just been another non conference blowout for Bama.  I don't see the upside for SDSU there.

On 6/26/2022 at 9:06 PM, Willie Cee said:

Tough memory for me. My junior year 1972, we ventured down to Houston and got dismantled by a very talented Cougar team (Our ONLY loss of the year) hard to get over, even after all these years. Claude Gilbert probably still gets nightmares of those charging bulls on the scoreboard at the Astrodome. 

I was 10 then and lived and died w the Red & Black. I thought you guys were invincible; that was a painful read the next morning in the paper. What was this split back veer? And how could they destroy my beloved Aztecs like that? 😳😂

On 6/27/2022 at 1:12 PM, dshawfan said:

I was 10 then and lived and died w the Red & Black. I thought you guys were invincible; that was a painful read the next morning in the paper. What was this split back veer? And how could they destroy my beloved Aztecs like that? 😳😂

Well Dshaw - To be totally honest with you, we also thought we were invincible. Side story: We were in the Astrodome on Friday night waiting for our turn to do a walk through. The Houston team was on the field and we were in the stands while waiting. Since we were a pretty confident group, some of the guys were cat calling out the military haircuts of some of the Cougar players......You see, we were undefeated at the time and Houston had one or two losses. We really thought we were going to roll them. Turns out they were unnecessarily motivated by our cockiness and whipped our asses the next night. Good lesson there kids.

Also.....(I just remembered) Oregon State ran the exact same offense as Houston (way slower) but we handled OSU the week before and thought it would be the same offense with Houston. Although it was the same offense, imagine an old record turntable playing at 16 2/3 (Oregon State) and 33 1/3 (Houston) Same record, way faster!  

On 6/27/2022 at 3:23 PM, Willie Cee said:

Well Dshaw - To be totally honest with you, we also thought we were invincible. Side story: We were in the Astrodome on Friday night waiting for our turn to do a walk through. The Houston team was on the field and we were in the stands while waiting. Since we were a pretty confident group, some of the guys were cat calling out the military haircuts of some of the Cougar players......You see, we were undefeated at the time and Houston had one or two losses. We really thought we were going to roll them. Turns out they were unnecessarily motivated by our cockiness and whipped our asses the next night. Good lesson there kids.

Also.....(I just remembered) Oregon State ran the exact same offense as Houston (way slower) but we handled OSU the week before and thought it would be the same offense with Houston. Although it was the same offense, imagine an old record turntable playing at 16 2/3 (Oregon State) and 33 1/3 (Houston) Same record, way faster!  

I was at the Oregon State game w my Jr Aztec red windbreaker on, sitting on the bleacher seats in the open end of the Stadium. They were PAC8 then weren’t they? Just remember how exciting it was to beat them 😁

I appreciate ya'lls look back to the 1970s series.  Let's take it up many more notches and do a thrilling homey/homey.  When this occurs, who knows what's going to unfold other than an excellent match up and really good times.  Let's do it.