Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Billings

Big Change on NCAA and remaining D1. Cost is going to go way up

The NCAA Division I Transformation Committee is considering changing how scholarships are awarded in equivalency sports — a discussion that could result in more than $1 billion annually in additional scholarships to athletes in those sports,

As the Transformation Committee tackles various aspects of redefining college sports and what is required to be in Division I, lifting the cap in financial aid could come with a concurrent move to change the mandate to sponsor 16 sports to be in the FBS. Chun confirmed the double and triple counting of track and cross country programs is among the issues being discussed in redefining Division I membership requirements. 

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2022/06/ncaa-division-i-transformation-committee-discussing-converting-equivalency-sports-to-full-scholarship-pac-12-supports-what-would-be-the-biggest-change-to-college-athletics-since-title-ix.html

No more partial scholarships in the Olympic sports.  16 programs and all athletes have a full ride.  “We’re going to give more to a few athletes as opposed to giving much to many,” McMillen said. “We’re going in a different direction and it’s a more commercial direction. ... I believe the division should be more kids have opportunity not less. If you look at it from a zero-sum situation, the way it is today, yes, there will be sports cut and that 16 number may change or it could even cause the stratification of the FBS where the FBS could become smaller because schools can’t afford it

During SEC Spring Meetings earlier this month, Sankey said the Transformation Committee had not yet discussed lowering the 16 sports requirement.

On 6/23/2022 at 3:29 PM, AztecSU said:

Wondering the title IV impact. Many dont realize that outside of FB and BB most scholarships in Men's Sports are partial. 

Do you mean Title IX?