Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grandjean87

The Court: June 23, 2022

On 6/23/2022 at 1:53 PM, bornontheblue said:

I read the abstract. 

Bear Arms could very well be intended to mean serve in the military , I wont argue that. I will argue on how it supports or does not support the current interpretation of the second amendment. 

How were militias armed back in the 18th century ? Who supplied the guns and ammo? The answer is the individuals from the community who formed the militia when it was needed. The government did not issue rifles or ammo like they do today. An understanding of 18th century colonial and early American history would be helpful here.  The British raiding of private arms caches to kneecap the ability of localities to form a militia is really the event that spurred the need for the second amendment. 

A modern interpretation of the second amendment to convey the same meaning would go something like,  militias are vital to the security of the state, and because militias are made up of individuals supplying their own weapons and ammo , the right of an individual to own firearm's is guaranteed. 

Guaranteed....if they are part of the militia.  But cons only like rights and not responsibilities. 

Posted Image

Where are all the "states rights" conjob hypocrites?  That is only good when they can discriminate against gays, blacks,  interracial marriage,  etc.  When it is time "own the libs" they love big centralized federal takeovers of state militias and overruling state control of regulating them,  as the constitution intended. 

Posted Image

On 6/23/2022 at 6:58 PM, Akkula said:

Guaranteed....if they are part of the militia.  But cons only like rights and not responsibilities. 

Who makes up the militia? Citizens with guns. It’s not that hard.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 6/23/2022 at 8:41 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Who makes up the militia? Citizens with guns. It’s not that hard.

Wrong... only citizens in the well regulated militia are guaranteed access to guns.  The feds can't usurp the states abilities to form militias or ban the state from regulating them.  Just like the US army won't let soldiers have unfettered access to firearms,  the states have the right to have tight control over when militias can access firearms.   The power to regulate firearms and militias are clearly given to the states.  There is no individual right to firearms in the constitution,  or it would have said that.   

Now you are going to have to twist yourselves in knots trying to justify why judge kavanaghs chambers are "sensitive areas" but public university classrooms are not. The supreme court will have to adjudicate every little contingency in a one size fits all federal approach since they think New York City and Laramie should have the same gun laws and don't trust legislatures. 

Posted Image

On 6/23/2022 at 4:02 PM, AztecSU said:

Am I seeing this correctly, 19 of the bottom 25 states for per capita gun deaths are Republican? Maybe all the concern about violent liberal cities is projection?

Suicides. 

On 6/23/2022 at 5:13 PM, scounty said:

Now do homicides and take out suicides by gun. Take out the murder rate from the 10 most murderous cities in the country (all democrat) and then tell me how the United States ranks in gun violence/homicide. 

Pretty bad. The best US state is New Hampshire, and would be in the bottom half of the EU. 

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/murder-rate-by-state

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1268504/homicide-rate-europe-country/

The worst EU nation for murder, Latvia, is still better than the median US state, Florida. 

On 6/23/2022 at 5:13 PM, scounty said:

Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Montana. Heavy, Heavy gun use and ownership. How many mass casualty shootings? 

what is a "mass casualty shooting"?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 6/24/2022 at 6:20 AM, happycamper said:

what is a "mass casualty shooting"?

I believe the definition is a shooting in which 4 or more people are shot not including the shooter.

People, not a fan.

On 6/24/2022 at 8:33 AM, azgreg said:

I believe the definition is a shooting in which 4 or more people are shot not including the shooter.

Pretty soon it will be any shooting that has the potential to impact more than one person.  Dilutes the analysis on true shooting sprees.  And it will somehow work.

On 6/24/2022 at 3:29 AM, Akkula said:

Wrong... only citizens in the well regulated militia are guaranteed access to guns.  The feds can't usurp the states abilities to form militias or ban the state from regulating them.  Just like the US army won't let soldiers have unfettered access to firearms,  the states have the right to have tight control over when militias can access firearms.   The power to regulate firearms and militias are clearly given to the states.  There is no individual right to firearms in the constitution,  or it would have said that.   

Now you are going to have to twist yourselves in knots trying to justify why judge kavanaghs chambers are "sensitive areas" but public university classrooms are not. The supreme court will have to adjudicate every little contingency in a one size fits all federal approach since they think New York City and Laramie should have the same gun laws and don't trust legislatures. 

You’re a silly thinker.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 6/23/2022 at 1:39 PM, soupslam1 said:

It always makes me cringe when I see the police putting someone in a small room and interrogate them. The only words out of their mouth should be I want an attorney. Instead they blab their mouths off. 

They believe they are smarter than the Police and Attorneys

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 6/23/2022 at 2:02 PM, AztecSU said:

Am I seeing this correctly, 19 of the bottom 25 states for per capita gun deaths are Republican? Maybe all the concern about violent liberal cities is projection?

I had similiar thoughts upon analyzing the chart. The data is from 2009, not sure if the data has changed significantly in the last decade.

Albeit, Nebraska, Iowa, and Wisconsin have weak gun laws and low per capita death rates, on the whole, States with the most Liberalized gun laws have the most gun deaths per capita.

Even in Illinois where gun Laws are moderately strong, and everyone accuses Dems of allowing Chi-town to be a shooting gallery, they have the 12th lowest gun death rate.

So much for open carry and arming teachers being the solution to gun violence.

Americans Mayor

On 6/23/2022 at 3:13 PM, scounty said:

Now do homicides and take out suicides by gun. Take out the murder rate from the 10 most murderous cities in the country (all democrat) and then tell me how the United States ranks in gun violence/homicide. 

Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Montana. Heavy, Heavy gun use and ownership. How many mass casualty shootings? 

We will never know cause most victims in those States get buried in the wilderness and never found.

;)

Why would you remove suicides ? It's death by gun. Period. If the sad fool didn't have a convenient gun he might still be alive.

Americans Mayor

On 6/23/2022 at 4:12 PM, CV147 said:

Do you need a qualifying reason to use your free speech?

In some circles one could argue that only people with government permits should use free speech.

Yelling " Fire" in a crowded theater is one example

Americans Mayor

On 6/23/2022 at 6:09 PM, azgreg said:

6b4dbcb17d3afe8e321daac147e9b54e.jpg

:rotflmfao:

Americans Mayor